1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stenton st1950?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DannyNFLD, Aug 27, 2012.

1. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm new to the double bass, was playing a Stentor st1950 at a local music store and had a blast. Was thinking about picking it up as a good excuse to finally get a double bass.

But the double bass world is foreign to me. Just wanted to get your thoughts on the Stentor st1950, or just Stentor's in general. Are they reputable? Good gear?

This is the bass... I love the white finish.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/product.../Stentor/Laminated_Rockabilly_Bass_Outfit.htm

2. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I suggest that you pull up a chair and read the Beginner's Guide. Pay particular attention to the notes about setup. Also, if you do an advanced search on "Stentor" within this forum and select "Titles Only", you'll find a bunch of relevant threads. By the way, what is your budget?

3. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    Yikes, thanks for the link, must have missed it. Money isn't really an object, but I'm not 100% on getting one. Still toying with the idea.

4. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    If you're not sure that you really want to join the dark side, then renting a decent well set up instrument is a good way to find out. It's important that it be a good instrument so that it's not impeding your progress and your fun. Consider a DB teacher to be essential to develop good technique and habits and to avoid injury.

If you do become serious about the DB, I'm a believer in getting the very best instrument that you can (within reason).

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I wouldn't recommend one of those. I have owned one in the past, and they are fairly poorly made instruments. I would also recommend renting before buying. Get yourself a few lessons with a good teacher and see if its for you. There is a TON of good advice on the Talkbass pages about buying an instrument to start out on, and a teacher can help you even more.

6. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    Thanks for the advice guys. There are only a few local shops here, but I shall look into renting one. The newbie link was quite helpful.

I must say, I've had a blast playing them (however briefly) in music stores. I'm just wondering if that joy will sustain itself over a long period. Renting is probably my best bet!