Stingray HH players - favorite pickup switch settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave64o, May 10, 2021.

1. Position #1 - Bridge pickup

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Position #2 - Outer coils

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Position #3 - Both pickups

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Position #4 - Inner coils

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. Position #5 - Neck pickup

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  6. I don't own or play an HH model Stingray, but I'm going to cast a vote anyway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I don't own or play an HH model Stingray, but I do play an HH model carrot

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. I don't even own an HH model carrot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Since getting my Stingray 5HH in 2007, it has been my uncontested favorite bass. I've owned some other nice basses since then and a few have come close to my Stingray in one aspect or another, but no bass I've owned has beaten it at all - overall sound, tonal versatility, playability, and even looks (the "scores" for each of those are totally subjective based on how I percieve the bass and, for that matter, those specific factors are also my subjective choice of factors).

For almost that entire time, my favorite pickup switch position has been #4, the inner coils. But lately I've developed a whole new appreciation for #5, neck pickup. By itself, I think I'd still pick #4. But I've been playing around a lot with different combinations of my overdrive pedals recently and I'm finding that position #5 seems to work REALLY well with drive pedals. As in, the only thing could knock this bass out of its role as my #1 bass was ... this bass. I won't know for sure until my band fills the open guitarist spot and starts rehearsing again, but there's a chance that this bass in pickup position #5 might actually knock this bass in pickup position #4 out of the top spot.

I realize that a some single H players may wander in and ignore my question just to be able to say that the only good Stingray is the single H. But I'm not asking which pickup combination (H, HS, HH) is your favorite, is better or worse than the other models, etc. I'm interested in hearing from those who own and play a Stingray HH model which pickup position(s) they prefer. So ... which do you prefer?

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Center spot is hot but I use the neck too. They all have a use.

3. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    I use them all but my favorite is the neck pickup only. That warm and fuzzy feeling. It’s a beautiful thing

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I agree. Depending on what's in our set list for a given show, I'll use most if not all of them in a gig.

But I was just surprised at this ... revelation that I had.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021