1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 3, 2014.

1. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo Supporting Member

May 14, 2002
    Identical

ConfoundedBridg likes this.
  2. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    RIP to Will Mecum from Karma to Burn.

cusar5, oZZma, Andysalt01 and 3 others like this.
  3. Fuzz before wah and OD after for me.

ConfoundedBridg and Andysalt01 like this.
  4. For me it's comp > octave > dirt (of all varieties) > filter.

Random question - been listening to lots of Voivod lately. Digging the bass tone. I know it's a Rat, and I know the Blower Box is designed for that tone specifically, but I didn't gel with that box. What's the standard diode in a Rat? Surely I can get that tone with my Iron Pig, right?

5. Damn'...

hardtop likes this.
  6. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Kentucky
    LM308 is the desirable Rat op-amp. 1N914 Is the diode used, I believe. I’d try setting the Iron Pig to Si and refine from there.

kleinenenten and oZZma like this.
  7. Warlock_Surfer

Warlock_Surfer

Feb 29, 2020
    I'm sure the Iron Pig will get you there. If not, there's always this pedal.

I have no experience with it. I've only seen it mentioned here on Talkbass. There's a thread about the pedal.

kleinenenten likes this.
  8. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Hey y'all. Long time no-see. This thread always gave better recommendations than the rest of TB.
    So can y'all recommend some good headphones for practicing?
    With babies and moving into an apartment big amps are out for a while, but I still want to actually hear my bass when I'm practicing. If possible I'm looking for closed back-over ear headphones. They can be high-impedance or low, don't give a crap. I'll sort out the amplification later, just want something that doesn't just fart on my ears.

9. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Audio Technica M50 is a solid choice. I've also got a set of Sennheiser HD 380 pro that I like a lot. Both are closed back, over ear, with good bass and easy to drive.

mbelue and oZZma like this.
  10. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I have the M20X, a cheaper model but I would recommend it if you don't want to spend that much for headphones... Great quality for the price IMO

mbelue likes this.
  11. scabpicker

scabpicker Gold Supporting Member

Ooof, I didn't realize how old these headphones were before I looked. The closed back set I use is a set of ATH-M45 that they apparently stopped making about 10 years ago. I got them on sale, and for the price I paid, they're OK. I wouldn't go looking for another pair if I lost them. Edited to add: they actually sound pretty good, but aren't that comfortable after an hour, the cable is not replaceable. They have held up, though.

Really, the AKG K240 semi-open back headphones I have are lots better than the M45s, and they don't really leak significantly more noise (I can hear outside noises a lot better than with the fully closed M45s, though). I paid about the same amount for them as I did for the M45s, and I would go looking for another pair if I replaced them. They're comfy even after wearing for hours with eyeglasses, and really cheap for a decent set of phones. Warning: they could use a little more bass response, but not much.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    mbelue likes this.
  12. YawningJorin

YawningJorin

Feb 14, 2020
    Stockholm
    Hey all, hope you're well! Lots going on in life, as is custom. Good to see TB is back up :)

13. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Riff In Peace. Cranking this one today:

thombo, Novarocker, Speedor and 3 others like this.
  14. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I found the sweet spot on the EQ where the Mesa cab gets angry (more lower mids!), and now it sounds awesome :woot:
    In the end I like it!! :bassist: Gonna spend the night at my reharsal space, I need to befriend it and do some fine tuning and writing :hyper: It's been a while since I slept here the last time.

15. Sounds cool. So do you sleep at all on these occasions?

oZZma and bassboysam like this.
  16. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    Of course I do! It's part of the adventure :D

El_Charro and arbitrary like this.
  17. Yes that's how it sounds: adventurous. I'd like to join you there one night, and I don't mean this in a creepy way.

lucas303 and oZZma like this.
  18. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    giphy.gif

19. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    Oh you would be very welcome :)
    That would be so good to have some company now and then!! I could never bring my drummer to do something like that... :atoz:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

instrumentalist likes this.
  20. Speedor

Speedor

Dec 3, 2013
    Warsaw, Poland
    Made some music again. Kind of channeling my love for Earth and all things Dylan Carlsson.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021