Stoner/Doom Bassists Thread, Part 90: Maxed Out

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Korladis, Apr 3, 2014.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I don't know much about Life of Agony but River Runs Red makes me want to drive 120 mph in my car.

2. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Jo Bench approved amp :thumbsup:

kleinenenten and oZZma like this.
  3. crunchysock

crunchysock Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2011
    One night in Kansas City, Type O Negative and Life of Agony were playing a club my friend managed. I think it was 94, maybe 95 though. For some reason Peter Steele hated the look of me and at some point straight up tried to fight me. Here comes little ass Mena Caputo, all up in his face and calling him out for being an a-hole. Steele wandered off, presumably to lurch on someone else and Mena became one of my favorite people.

El_Charro and scabpicker like this.
  4. El_Charro

El_Charro

Aug 11, 2020
    ——————
    Um...I’m a pretty big dude myself (6’3”/220), but the thought of an angry Pete Steele coming after me is freaking terrifying...Never got to see them live :-( , but considering he was like 6’7” or 6’8” I don’t think I’d stand much of chance...

That’s too bad he was that enraged bc from other stuff I’ve read he was pretty much an introverted pacifist, just a lot of internal spiritual and emotional demons...

Appreciate the story...

Thanks! \m/

hardtop likes this.
  5. El_Charro

El_Charro

Aug 11, 2020
    ——————
    Good to know...Thanks for the info on what it sounds like...

I’m trying to go for something more borderline “drone”-like sounding with lots of dirt in it (if that makes sense)...

From what I’ve read-A fuzz pedal is typically the most aggressive in terms of sound altering what you play vs a distortion pedal and I think (???) Darkglasses seem to be less fuzz/saturated sounding as it’s more of a distortion pedal than a fuzz pedal (but I could be totally wrong on that)...

Thanks! \m/

xJasonSmithx likes this.
  6. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    That new cab made me sad.

7. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    That stinks! That bad eh? Or just a big let down? I don't know the voicing of the diesel cabs, but I wonder if they're voiced more specifically for the amps they made in that era? Those were the same time as the 180, 400, and buster right? I've heard those amps were love of hate.

Yes and no. If it helps any, I look at typical OD to distortion to fuzz as going from clean (sine wave) to fulling clipped (square wave). Fuzz to my understanding is complete square wave and that's not to say that distortion can't get there too, because it can. They all kinda blend together in my book. Don't discount distortion though or even OD, there's plenty of those that I've really liked and have gotten downright ragged. The benefit to distortion over some fuzzes IMO, is that they can tend to be more touch sensitive.

8. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    Italy
    I think they are from the 90s. Maybe more or less the same period as these heads.
    Not "bad" stuff but yeah, a big let down. Instead of bringing me some joy it only triggered my sense of failure. And thinking of waiting to sell those huge cabs, and having to ship them, makes me feel drained. I really can't find the energy to go through this again now.

Novarocker and lucas303 like this.
  9. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Kentucky
    As far as the overdrive to fuzz spectrum, @Novarocker is right on with my opinion and understanding as well. The thing with a full square wave fuzz if that it seems to be much more finicky as far as effects before it. Distortion and od can be that way as well, but the wave shape allows for more flexibility with overall effects. If it helps, when I saw OM March of last year, Al was using an AO. That, to me, is about as close as you can get to fuzz and still not be, technically.

Novarocker and lucas303 like this.
  10. Riverrunsred

Riverrunsred

Jan 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Take a listen to Seventh Void and Silvertomb.....Kenny Hickey's other bands.

El_Charro likes this.
  11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    No need to guess, man, this is PS’s board:

Peter's bass rig

It’s a DS-1.

El_Charro and Novarocker like this.
  12. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    Totally nerding today on a sweet sounding Casiotone nearby, trying not to go buy it. Already got 1 really sweet analog and 1 kinda okay digital synth not being used at all, collecting dust at work, and why oh why do I even look on craigslist.... gotta go listen to my Boards Of Canada records now....

13. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Then that one day you sit down and get lost playing through all the knobs and such on a synth for hours lol. BoC are great to zone out to.

14. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Always known about Ola, really dig his channel. In fact he's the reason why my next guitar amp (whenever that unlikely happens) will be the Orange dark terror. The range of tones in such a small footprint are awesome! Love that shape knob!

Anyway, never knew he had a guitar company or is a part of one. And this bass not only looks sick IMO, but looks well built and reasonably priced.

Solar

Screenshot_20210425-165838_Chrome.jpg

El_Charro likes this.
  15. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I don't know man...$749,000 seems a bit steep ;)

16. He was on steroids at that time and its entirely possible he wasn't really aware fully of how poopy he was acting. I'm not saying he's not responsible for his actions, because he is, but my experience taking steroids in high school is you can basically snap over nothing and be ultra aggressive for no reason and it doesn't really feel like you're fully present until after its over. It's hard to really explain but its kind of like how an ADHD person acts impulsively and can't really control it, they just act/react, except for with aggression, if that makes sense. Moral of the story, don't take steroids. Its always sad to hear about people whose music you like acting poopy though.

El_Charro likes this.
  17. crunchysock

crunchysock Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2011
    I get it, totally. Not the same thing, but I'm a pretty mellow guy and had two incidents that were completely abnormal for me, both while taking prednisone for sarcoidosis. I legit threatened to kill my neighbor for using my trash can and tried starting crap with my wife's uncle for not telling me he broke the latch on our gate. I didn't realize what was wrong with me during the first episode, but it dawned on me about the prednisone a couple days after the second. After that I still had some irrational thoughts while on the prednisone, but I was able to calm myself since I knew I was acting out of pocket.

18. JBOWLES

Apr 10, 2012
    Kentucky
    Round 1 of the sell/trade off begins. I’ll be putting some GK cabs and a Fusion 800 up next. Gear trading/selling/buying is such a pain sometimes... I mean that literally. The viscous cycle of gear in and out can get almost disheartening. Sometimes I wish I would have stuck to my SVT3 and 410 I had years ago lol.

Novarocker and oZZma like this.
  19. With GK gear going up for sale, I may need to head to Kentucky... I was just in the Ozarks this weekend!

JBOWLES likes this.
  20. JBOWLES

Apr 10, 2012
    Kentucky
    Nice! I haven’t been there in years. I used to go often with my parents when I was a kid. Should get back sometime soon. I believe it’s only about 4 hours between us is all. About the same to StL for me as well. I’m going to put my 410neo 8ohm, 212neo 4ohm, and Fusion 800S up in the next few days.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021