Storing basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birdsg, May 23, 2004.

1. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England

Apologies if this has been covered (did a search didnt find thread) and if its not the right place for this thread but...

How do you store your basses when not playing..I guess there are 3 options??

1) In guitar case
    2) on the wall using a hanger
    3) on standard guitar stand

Are any better than others? I would imagine hanging on the wall would be good for neck straightening - or maybe it wouldnt? Less chance of getting knocked over?

any opinions

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    in the bag/case.
  3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    my acoustic guitar sits against the wall
    my 2 electric guitars are on stands
    one of my basses is on a stand
    and the other is in a case.
  4. 2 electric basses in gig bags,
    The other electric in an old crocodile skin hard case,
    and the acoustic is still in the box it came in.
  5. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    As much as I would like to keep them out.....all my good stuff stays in their cases. The only bass I keep out is a cheapo Steinburger that I pratice with.
  6. i always keep my bass on my stand, thats just the way ive always done it
  7. Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    usally during the day ill keep it on the stand but when i got to sleep ether hanger by my bed or case
  8. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Both of them are in cases when I'm not playing. My schools DB I keep out of the case just for the sake that I would never practice if it were in it.
  9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    In the cases (usually bags). Hate the way dust accumulates on them when they're left out on stands.
  10. On a stand in my living room. Yes, it gets dusty but it looks like a fine piece of art, with its bubinga top. It's nice to have company over for the first time, and hear them say, "wow" when they look at it.
  11. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Does anyone know if there is a 'right' answer? I am now hanging my basses from the wall. Over a long period of time this may be better/worse for the neck than leaving in a case?? One definate advantage is people cant kick them over as if they were on a stand :)

I guess keeping in a case is pretty good for them as well, anyone got any scientific or technical opinions on this? I guess there cant be much in it or it would be well known and one of the options would be the only way to go.

The dust is a nuisance!

12. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    I myself keep my bass on its bag on the floor in the corner of my room, which really isn't the best way to store it! My two cats are dangerous to it :D But as soon as I get a new bass, I'll put them hanging on the wall.. I don't know if it's the best way, but it sure looks cool when you have a couple of basses hanging on your wall! :bassist: I've heard that it's best for the neck too! All I know is that you should never leave your instrument leaning against the wall etc because it may twist the neck after a long perioid of time.. At least that's what I've been told...

Maybe keeping it in a case is thee best solution.... It's the safest and cleanest way.
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I keep my basses in semi-open gigbags: this way, the wood gets air to breathe, yet they are protected from damage.

the best solution? dont know... Should be protected from physical damage, too high moisture levels, drastic changes in temperature, dust, yet still should have some air to breathe (at least my unsealed oil-finish bass should get air)
  14. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I don't think there is an issue with hanging them off the wall - I'm sure Embellisher can attest to that :D
    I keep mine on a stand... the dust comes right off with a quick wipe, so that really isn't much of an issue; plus I don't think I'd go through the hassle of keeping my bass in a case every time I finish with it esp since it ain't no $$$ bass anyways :) Just my old faithful, dust and all :D
  15. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    I have my prized bass (Ibanez SR765 5 string) in a hardcase and stored beside my bed standing up horizontally, is this ok??? :confused:

Then i also will have my SX jazz bass (which i will receive in another weeks time) in a normal gig bag leaning against my wardrobe, will this be fine?

sorry, i am just a paranoid freak, i like to kep my babies in prestige condition hehe :D
  16. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Rule of thumb (for me at least) is to NEVER leave ANY instruments leaning against anything. Bad things happen when you do.
    If you want to have them accessible, buy a proper stand.
    If they're kept in a case, rest them flat on the floor where no one's gonna step on them - e.g. under a bed.
  17. raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Both of my basses are hanging on the wall, though I do have a case for the Viper in case I take it out of the house.
  18. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    My Lakland never leaves the case unless I'm playing it. The Fender, well, it's not the Lakland so it stays out on the stand.
  19. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    they're all on the wall just out of reach of the little people in my house! :D
  20. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Hangin'. Works great for the intonation in my neck of the woods.