Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Street Racing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Call, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Is it just me, or does nobody do this anymore? It seems like it's been forever since I saw a tricked out Honda Civic. Is the fad dying off?

2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I wish it was dying off. Kids here still think they're the coolest ever if they street race. And they usually end up killing other people in the proccess.

Too much disposable income.

3. Either that or the drivers are killing eachother.

Mike

4. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    street racing is for morons.

real tuners take their cars to the track and get a 1/4 mile time.

I'm working on my car this winter/spring and hopefully I'll be hitting the track this summer.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yep. I see more and MORE of these stinkin' cars every day.

-Mike

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I see more and more of these cars on the road, but less of them racing. Most of the time, I see them in a parking lot chewin' the fat and comparing the Erector Sets they've built on their trunk lids.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Some street racer was just in the news. He plowed into a clinic and killed/injured a few folks.

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    +1

What kind of car, what have you done, and what are you hoping to run?

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'll tell you like I tell my motocycle buddies, GO TO A TRACK! If you wanna race, blacken your mirrors and lights, and get to a track. "Street racing" is a clever way of saying, "Hey, let's go wipe out other innocent motorists!" Eventually, you will! If you have to race THAT bad, go to a track! If I sound preachy, so be it! I know 3 fatherless children and a widower that wish you guys would listen to me. :mad: Especially the woman that lost her life because some cerebellum baboon hit his nitrus on a curve. :scowl:

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Couple of kids just killed a cabbie in T.O the other night while doing 140 km/h in toronto inner streets, they tried to use "need for speed: underground" as their cover. Thank god the cops weren't buying.

Hopefully they'll be adults by the time they're tried, and that way will hopefully get life in prison. It's what they deserve, idiots.

11. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    +2 Or they go Autocross with the SCCA.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    T.O?

-Mike

13. Terrell Owens. His ego is massive and three dimensional. I knew a man could get lost in it, but I'm a bit surprised that people are able to street race there, as well.

Mike

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The fad is still going here, unfortunately. There are a ton of kids who think they are cool, throw a fart pipe and some other crap on their import, and go buzzing around town. I hate them.

Nothing annoys me more than the sound of a 4 cylinder with those stupid farty sounding exhausts that they put on them.

15. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    RICE BURNERS MUST DIE.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    And poor spellers.

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Unless he mean "rice burners, most die."

18. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    just promise not to laugh.

ok? OK

I have a 1998 Plymouth Neon SOHC 2.0 liter 5 speed.
    Current mods:
    cold air intake, 52mm throttle body (stock is 49mm), dynomax muffler (NO fart-can, it looks stock only with a better flow), hi-rate lowering springs (1.5 inch drop all around), Booger solid shifter bushings, Maddog short throw shifter (33% reduction left/right and forwards/backwards), Booger solid bobble strut, Deyeme solid mounts.

Have in the mail: Apex'i SAFC II

Coming this spring: Crane #14 cam with AEM adjustable cam gear, AFX or Kirk long-tube header, milled head for compression, Mopar performance computer.

With all that I should be in the mid 14's. I am in the high 15's stock. I don't know where my car is right now though.

All this and I'll still be making mid to high 30's for gas mileage on the highway. Right now I'm in the low 40's. :hyper: :cool: :D ;)

19. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    unless it's turbo'ed. The turbo I4's sound pretty good but that is also without the large fart-can. So yeah, you are still right.

20. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    ahhh autrocrossing. I would love to get into that since my car (neon) was designed for autocrossing.