1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String alignment: Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by guest22338668, Apr 15, 2010.

1. guest22338668

guest22338668 Guest

May 24, 2008
    Good day,

Well, my Squier bass has a problem that has been bothering me for a while. The E string is too far from the edge of the neck and the G string too close. What causes this? The nut? Maybe the neck is warped or something? Maybe the bridge screw holes aren't drilled well? I've bought this bass 3 years ago and I think the strings weren't like that at the beginning , but since that time the bass was been though a lot of beating. I'll leave some pics here as well.
    Thanks you all and sorry for the bad English. :smug:
    3509hxl.
    2roi6qh.
    345zatk.
    2d9xxqq.
    21cf7tv.
    6ozoza.

2. PaulNYC

PaulNYC

Apr 2, 2009
    New York, NY
    i got paid for a gig once.
    probably the bridge is off center. However, you might not like the sound if you fix it.

3. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    You can change the bridge for one with multi-slotted or adjustable saddles. This will allow to change string spacing without having to re-drill mounting holes. Hipshot now makes direct replacement bridges with string width adjustments.

4. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Take the tension off the neck, loosen the neck bolts and give the neck a yank toward the "E" string side to re-align the neck, then crank the neck bolts back down, re-tune and your in business.

A common bolt on problem.

5. It can be a lot of things,

Do you have the same problem at the nut?

If not,

It might be that your neck has moved in the neck pocket and that it's now misaligned,

Simply loosen the strings, then loosen the neck screws, align the neck correctly using the strings as a guide, re-tighten everything, re-tune and voilà! it should get rid of the problem.

6. Lowendblues beat me to it!

7. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    +1 especially since it looks fine around the nut and first fret.

8. wmheilma

wmheilma

Jan 5, 2010
    Unless you are having issues with the G string slipping off the fretboard, I'd leave it like that. The E string has more travel when you pluck it than the G string does, so that set up is not uncommon. My old Music Man was like that from the factory back in the 80's.

BTW LowEnd Blues has the right suggestion if you need a slight adjustment for a bolt on. On a neck-through or glue-on neck would be much harder!

9. +1, perfectly stated

Welcome to the world of bolt-neck guitars and basses. The vast majority of my bolt-necks require this simple adjustment at least once in it's life.

10. fretwear

fretwear

Mar 7, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    +1 Plain to see from the pic, the neck is out of alignment.

11. My Burns Barracuda had the same issue when I got it. Wasn't sure why it was misaligned, took it to my guitar tech, he took a look at it, loosened the neck bolts, gave the neck a good tug, tightened the bolts, and it was fine!

12. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    Check the neck pocket out and check the bridge alignment.

If you're unsure, have a pro look it over

13. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Yup. +4 0r 5, by now...

Second glance: your D & G strings look like they're well aligned over the polepieces, the E & A, not as much. Old-school Fender saddles, made from threaded rod, would allow you to space your E & A strings correctly.

14. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Endorsing Artist:
    I second that, JLS. Get that bridge and fix your alignment that way. Your bass is clearly worth saving

15. guest22338668

guest22338668 Guest

May 24, 2008
    Wow thanks for all the answers, I'll try first what lowendblues said but if that doesn't work I'll need a new bridge right? What are the best bridges for this problem then? Please say something specific like brand and model.

This web forum is simply amazing :hyper: Thank you all!

16. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    I'm thinking that you should be able to replace the saddles with the old school Fender style.

17. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    THIS^ The neck is misaligned. It's an easy fix.

IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BRIDGE. :rollno:

18. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I wouldn't doubt that re-aligning the neck would solve some of your pickup alignment issues as well.

19. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    I had the same problem. It's an easy fix.

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    This! Ignore everything else in this thread :)