1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Volume, 3 questions.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bassman 100, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    New to this side of the fourm.
    1.) If you pluck all 4 strings indivudally with the exact same style/method; should they all sound at the same volume, or do they vary, in other words is it necessary to compensate. I notice my G String is louder by far (acousticly.)

2.) Do you get increased volume overall from more professional Double Basses?

3.) If so, what additional % of volume would you say possbile compared to a student DB? (3/4 size)

2. Are your questions related to jazz pizz or arco playing?

Another question:
    If you had the choice between two instruments: one with lots of volume but more uneven, and the other with perfect balance, but low volume, which one would you choose?

Regards,
    François

3. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Ans1: Jazz playing

Ans2: Perfect Balance, low volume (amplifed) I think !

4. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    A louder G string usually depends on the specific set up of the particular bass. Usually moving the soundpost towards the G string f hole gives more volume to the E and A strings and can balance things. In some cases the G string has more clearance (distance from the fingerboard end) and sounds louder, so a bridge adjustment is needed. Generally speaking the proper set up gives more or less the same volume to all strings.
    As for the volume of a professional bass, well, volume is an inherent characteristic in each bass. Well constructed instruments tend to be "floor shakers" in terms of volume. From the other hand the proper set up, the strings, the arco or pizzicatto playing etc affect the volume, so it is rather difficult to quantify all these parameters and give percentage estimations.
    If you can be more specific we can help you much better.
    Mike

5. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Your very helpful, many thanks. Ok, I'm a non-reading keyboardist, & Fender Jazz Bass Player, just started playing double bass. I have a some arthritis in my hands. I only pluck the bass, as in jazz stlye, for folk mass use and sometimes a dinner dance, wedding etc.. My goal would be to have very low action, easier to play but a balanced volume across all strings like my fender jazz, amplifed would be necessary. My bass is a Primevara 50 - perhaps this is very much entry level, I' not sure, its' cost was €1,100 & I did have it set up which was an additional cost. But your educating me now, it's making excellent sense. Can i give you any further info'?

My Double Bass Specifications:
    Laminated Spruce Top
    Highly figured Laminated Maple Back and Ribs
    Ebony Fingerboard and Top-nut
    Maple bridge with brass Height Adjusters
    Chrome plated Machine Heads

6. Another thing to consider.
    What you hear from your playing stand point is probably completely different than what people hear, say, 20 feet away.

Since you're probably going to play amplified anyway, I'd invest my energies at getting a balanced tone instead of increased volume.

7. Bassman 100

Bassman 100

Apr 4, 2008
    Ireland
    Great advise thanks. I'm thinking I don't have much choice in using an amp for the stage work. But even for the church work I'm playing with 30 singers, Electric Piano, Electric Strings, Concert Fulte, Violin, two acoustic guitars all in the system. If I play without the amp, I have to pluck harder, which is harder for my hand/finger problems, just in order to hear for myslef, and it's not enough for me personally, but as you say, I can be heard perfectly without the amp down the church, I know that because of the positive comments. Perhaps I should go for an in-ear monitor for the church work, it would be a lot easier.