1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strings for jazz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rockjazzbass, Mar 12, 2013.

1. rockjazzbass

rockjazzbass

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm looking for the best strings for playing jazz. I usually play warwick. I don't like a bright sound, just a deep groove sound. Any suggestions?

2. rockjazzbass

rockjazzbass

Dec 9, 2011
    Thank you, I just ordered them

3. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Just my opinion, but I find FatBeams to be pretty darn bright even though they are fat sounding. For a soft sounding string with possibilities of brightness, I recommend nickel roundwounds, and if you want pure fatness then get some flatwounds. They are higher tension and harder to play technical lines on though, some brands of flats like GHS and DR have a round core which makes them easier to manipulate.

4. rockjazzbass

rockjazzbass

Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks Duck

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    You can get a "deep groove sound" from FatBeams, it's all in how you use them, they can also be pretty bright, they're versatile. "Jazz" can mean every sound in the universe; DR Sunbeams, Daddario tapewounds and chromes, Rotosounds can be good too, it depends if you're slapping, walking, tapping, walking fast, slow, whatever.

6. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    best string for jazz = subjective issue. Depend on many factors

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I agree nickel strings in general are better option if wanting warm tone. Many good choices in those. Daddario xl nickel would be good start choice for try.

8. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    +1.
    To generalise, flats would be a safe choice. I used flats (chromes) with Warwicks. I especially like them with active pup Warwicks. Clean, clear, round sound with good fundamental. I still always keep a set handy in case I want that sound.

I normally use nickels on my Wicks, XLs on one and Sunbeams on the other, once in a while slap on some Hi-Beams for variety.

9. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    subjectively +1.

For my needs: Flats.

10. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Fat Beams can do anything. I've not found many strings where this is true.

11. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith Supporting Member

May 25, 2012
    In the Pond
    This is a matter of taste. My vote would be for Pyramid Gold flats, T-I Jazz flats, or T-I Jazz Round wounds. All give deep up-right bass tones with excellent playability and longevity.

12. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Jazz: Traditional, Fusion, Avant Garde etc. Get a set of Fodera Diamond series. They come in S/S or Nickel and will blow the doors of anything else for Jazz!!!