Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stumped on an EA Choice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebassace, Oct 26, 2004.

1. thebassace

thebassace

Oct 25, 2004
    Can any one give me their opinion on weather I should go to EA's 12 inch cabinet as opposed to staying with their 2x10

2. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    It really depends on why you're looking to change over to 12s versus your 2x10. What aren't you liking about the EA
    cab(s) you already have? What type of tone are you looking for, etc.?
    That being said, the CXL112s that I own are the best cabs I've ever played through, period. I love their depth, accuracy, volume and power handling capability, quality of construction, portability, and EA's customer service. If you already own an EA cab, you know what I'm talking about. It's really just a matter of your personal taste and your musical objective.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  4. Which 210? NL? CXL? VL?

-Geoff

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    And which 1x12? CXL? Wizzy?

I've tried a boatload of EA cabs, so if you can tell me a bit more about what you are after, I'd be happy to give my two cents. In fact, just this week, I picked up two NL-210's, so I hope to get a feel for the NL-210 at practice tomorrow night. I know, I am an EA slut. What can I say? John Dong is EAvil! (why can't I resist bad puns?). He designs cabs that my brain nEAds! (arrgg, here we go again!).

At any rate, let me know what you are after, and which specific cabs you are considering. They do vary a decent bit.

Tom.

6. thebassace

thebassace

Oct 25, 2004
    Hey Guys,

Thanks for the replys and advice. I currently don't own any EA cabinets. I apologize for not being clear in that matter. I just bought my iAmp 500 and love it. I mostly play funk, jazz, and that sort of thing. I can't decide between the NL 210 and the CxL 112. Some of it has to do with the price issue and I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is a HUGE difference in sound. I want something that will give me a good lower midrange and well just a cabinet that dosent hold back on whatever frequency that I pump in to it.

Let me know,

thebassace

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Once I have a chance to play through the NL-210 and compare it to the CXL-112, I will report back.

Tom.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    http://basstasters.com/cabinets.htm

Hear for yourself - both the NL210 & CXL112L have sound clips up.

Here's my take:

CXL-112L - very forward upper midrange, slightly harsh tweeter, very punchy, direct, and clean. lacks some low end, but accepts low EQ very well without getting muddy. a great cab for muddy venues and a great 2nd cab.

NL-210 - not as thick as the VL series, but very deep and smooth. powerful & articulate, detailed highs that project well without being harsh. excells at delivering tight bass and midrange clarity without sounding honky.

Note my bias, however: my everyday rig is the iAMP 800 into a NL-210, and if I need more sound, I add the CXL-112L.

In my experience, you don't truly notice how great EA gear sounds until you gig with it.

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Not sure about the tens-eqipped cabs, but I have the newer CXL-112L and the older, heavier CXL-112.

What van said is right on about the L. It is pretty punchy and very bright with lots of upper-end emphasis. It can be harsh at times too, as he said. It is a very good match for the iamp 800 which, IMO doesn't have a a heck of a lot in the way of upper-range despite the massive EQ section so they would complement each other nicely. Also right on about how it handles EQ: It can take its fair share of boost when it comes to bass and low mids and still sound natural. On it's own, I tend to cut a bit around 3-4K especially with SS strings.

With the older version, it's just the opposite: Excellent lows. It really has a lot more booty with more pronounced but still very smooth low midrange. Detailed highs but certainly less in that upper midrange. I tend to add a bit of 1-2K on it's own unless I'm really going for flat out thump.

Together, you ask? Set everything just about flat and WATCH OUT! The best of all worlds, IMO! I do like both cabs individually in different applications, but both together really is a thing of beauty... :smug:

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I wholeheartedly agree on both points.

I just may have to try me one of them older CXL-112's...

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I have the older version, so the above post explains a lot about why your EQ preferences and mine are so different.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point.

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I like the 210 a lot but I own two CXL112s. They and my iamp800 are probably the last rig I will buy (and I've had a lot of rigs). The 112s are perfect for BG and URB and the second cabinet allows me to expand for the very largest of venues.