1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid question, can I bring a bass with me to army basic training?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xero Tolerance, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Xero Tolerance

Xero Tolerance

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    I think i already know the answer to this but here goes

This month I'm enlisting in the army and after i graduate high school next year my recruiter said I will leave for BCT. I'm hoping to become an infantryman (11b) and am really hoping to become an air assault infantryman.

This is the least of my worries and concerns; but i do really enjoy playing, of course, and although I don't believe them a bit, (lol) I've been told i have a natural knack and an ear for it.

I don't want to lose my touch, so just wondering, will I be allowed to take anything with me, should i just pick up a cheapo before or send away for one of mine? Will anything be allowed ?

Thanks again guys :)

2. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Nope. A friend of mine arrived at Fort Benning for Basic yesterday. You won't be able to bring a bass.

3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    If you take it, they'll tell you to, "Drop the bass".

4. Sure, you can bring anything you like. You'll see it the day you arrive, then again the day you leave.

Do not...repeat...DO NOT take anything more than the essentials.

Xero Tolerance and Winfred like this.
  5. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Thank you in advance for your service. Leave the bass at home - your touch will come back no problem. During basic, focus on basic. Not bassic.

Alik, Xero Tolerance and Bassist Jay like this.
  6. +1 to thanks for stepping up to serve, from someone who didn't. Be safe.

smcgov, rtav and Xero Tolerance like this.
  7. If you get your sight-reading together you could eventually apply for a spot in the army band. I'm told it's a really good gig.

smcgov and Brother Goose like this.
  8. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Maybe if he were more into Rock Band, instead of Halo...

;)

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    As a Army veteran I'm also glad you chose the right branch of service :) it's been around thirty-two years since I left basic training and you're going to be so occupied with your training that you might not even miss it good luck keep in touch with us.

AltGrendel and Xero Tolerance like this.
  10. mattyb5000

mattyb5000

Apr 17, 2014
    Boston, MA
    The US Army has a top notch music program. Check it out. Maybe you can get involved with that if you decide infantry isn't your thing. Plus you get to serve your country and get paid to play music for your peers. http://www.music.army.mil/

11. I'm sorry but that's actually pretty funny. :-D

12. Xero Tolerance

Xero Tolerance

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    Hey now ;)

Not a vidjagames guy here haha.

13. Xero Tolerance

Xero Tolerance

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    Gotta pick the right one of course ;) and that's a good point.

I'll be sure to keep in touch and I'll definitely be on here whenever I can before and after training. :)

14. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    To be clear, I sincerely meant no disrespect to Xero. The thought really came into my head because my friend that started Basic yesterday is 17 years old and also has one more year of high school to complete. He wants the same MOS as Xero and, in his case, I do believe a big part of it is all the (way too much) time he has spent playing Halo on Xbox.

15. StuartV

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Xero, good luck to you and thank you indeed for your service.

16. Xero Tolerance

Xero Tolerance

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    Thank you guys :) and that's a good point as well.

17. Xero Tolerance

Xero Tolerance

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    Thank you very much. :) i really appreciate it.

18. Xero Tolerance

Xero Tolerance

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    Oh no I knew it was a joke. Haha I've seen that as well.

19. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    I remember seeing some of the guys almost in tears when the DI told them they were going to have to roll down the tops of their expensive western boots and store them in their duffle bags. "But sir! They're my good boots!" If you don't want to have to fit it in a duffle bag, don't take it.

To put it another way, "If the Army wanted you to have a bass, they'd issue you one!"

Raf

20. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    You will probably be too tired to play anyway until you get out of Basic. If you get any time away from the base look for a music store you can hang out in and try out Basses.