Suggest a round core roundwound string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by emjazz, May 6, 2022.

1. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm just getting back into digging roundwounds. I usually use nickel coated rounds. I've been using GHS Boomers and really like the sound, but are a bit stiffer than I prefer. The round core version is a darker string than I want. Are the LaBella roundwounds a round core? I love LaBella flats and tapes. What do you into?

2. La Bella doesn't offer anything with a round core.

If you want a round-core string for flexibility, but something brighter than the Round Core Boomers, try a few of the DR offerings, such as Hi Beams (stainless steel), Pure Blues (nickel-steel alloy) and Sunbeams (nickel-plated steel).

Also, Dunlop Super Bright Nickels... Although they're hex-core, due to the small core diameter, they're almost as flexible as the round-core strings by DR.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    staurosjohn, TyBo, andruca and 11 others like this.
  3. Which set of the Boomers have you been using? If you like their tone but want something not as stiff, you can always try the lighter set 40-55-75-95.

Killing Floor, eriky4003 and emjazz like this.
  4. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, have thought of that as well. I've been using the 30 45 65 80 100 125 (6 through 4 string basses)

5. I've tried the light 5-string set (40-55-75-95-120) on my Yamaha and found them nicely balanced in overall playing feel without being too stiff. All you would need is a single .030 to make a 6-string set.

Here are the actual tension figures:

C 030 - 37.2 lbs.
    G 040 - 33.6
    D 055 - 35.2
    A 075 - 35.9
    E 095 - 36.1
    B 120 - 31.3

CryingBass, gscroggin and emjazz like this.
  6. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I super appreciate your responses....super helpful. Thanks!!

michael_t likes this.
  7. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    For rounds I like Dunlop DBN45105 nickel wound with round cores.

emjazz likes this.
  8. adje

adje

Feb 3, 2004
    Tomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds initially may not be as bright as DR HiBeams, but they last much much longer, and retain a fair amount of brightness. They are very light gauge, and very supple, so you may need to lighten up your touch, and touch up your action and/or neck relief. Unless you're looking for a brash/harsh sounding string, they sound glorious.

9. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Fodera Nickels are nice.

10. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Yes, the TI Jazz Rounds are outstanding and truly unique. They're one of the best electric bass strings ever made IMO. I'm still a bit wary about recommending them to others because the TIJRs are so different from any other strings. I suspect a large percentage of bass players won't like them due to the extreme flexibility and ultra-low tension. These strings will not only require a very different setup, they will probably also need you to adapt your style of playing.

If you're willing to do this the TIJRs are in a class of their own. Yes, GLORIOUS is a good way of describing them. The amazing thing about them is that even with their incredible flexibility and ultra-low tension they are perfectly capable of holding a steady pitch. They don't go BOOooiiIIING like many other low tension strings. Even the short scale sets are great! They are also far less prone to buzzing than I would have suspected from such light tension/gauges. Your bass needs to be in good shape though and the setup needs to be perfect. Any issue with the neck/frets will definitely come to the surface with the TI Jazz Rounds. Even the TI Jazz Flats feel stiff by comparison!

I'm not sure TIJRs are the right choice if GHS Round Core Boomers are too dark though. At least not compared to a relatively fresh set of RC Boomers. The Boomers will be much brighter out of the box. Of course the RC Boomers go dead relatively fast whereas the TIJRs just mellow out very slightly and then seem to live forever so in the long term the TIs will definitely stay brighter and fresher but they will have no metallic "zing" whatsoever, just a nice upper mid presence. A warm, organic tone with superb clarity and a kinda "orchestral" vibe is what the TIJFs are all about.

dagrev, e-flat, JPK_DK and 5 others like this.
  11. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Another recommendation for Dunlop Super Brights. I’ve enjoyed the tone and feel on several instruments, fretted and fretless.

TonyP-, tb-player, emjazz and 2 others like this.
  12. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    Warwick Black Labels are round-core stainless steel strings (and come with a tapered B if you're a 5-string guy).

GTHintz and emjazz like this.
  13. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I had TIJR on both the fretless 5’s I had. Superb. But coming from hex core thick gauge bridge cables, they definitely took me a bit to adopt an entirely different approach.

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm still having problems with the last of my Dunlop SuperBrights. Hope the new runs don't have the same intonation issues but they've lost my confidence.

Riis

Dincrest and emjazz like this.
  15. Just for clarification...

DBN45105 are Dunlop's regular NPS rounds on a hex core, which are stiffer in feel than the Super Brights. The Super Brights are also hex-core, but due to the smaller diameter of the core wire, they're more flexible.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    emjazz likes this.
  16. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby He stole my mojo! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    DR Blues are nice but not sparkly up top…more subtle. The DR Sunbeam has more sparkly high end and is pleasant. I too love the TI Jazz Rounds but they are a little dark sounding for rounds. I love the low tension though. Hours of playing are so easy on my hands. Given you don’t want something too dark you might try DR Sunbeams.

FRoss6788, mdogs, CTW68 and 4 others like this.
  17. Since you're looking at round-core round wounds: Don't forget DR Hi-Beams.
    I'm using them now on my Spector Bantam 5 and I'm surprised. I don't remember them being as nicely "stiff" feeling as these are. They almost feel like a hex core string but they have a unique sound once you get past the initial few weeks of newness. When I had them on my Lakland years ago, they felt pretty loose. The QC of the strings also seems a lot better than they were 10 years ago. They don't even seem to have that weird rolling-under-the-fingers feeling some round-core strings have.

I bought them because there were no Sunbeams in stock (and I have DR Nickel Lo-Riders on my other basses) and I'm really happy with these.

eriky4003 and emjazz like this.
  18. I just installed a set of Super Bright Stainless Steel Rounds 45-125 on my son's Ibanez this past week. Setting the intonation did take a lot more work than usual as they were acting very finicky. This was my first time installing Super Brights on any bass, and now I understand what some people talk about. What a pain!

19. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Another nod for DR Sunbeams. I've used these for long enough that they're my personal normal. Several other strings may be fine, but whenever I sample something different, the combo of feel and tone is a little foreign for me. Perhaps not the ultimate - needs and wants vary - but I haven't wanted a "better" string for a long time.

20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used to use Fodera nickel wounds for a long time, many years ago. Great strings. I may have to try them again. Thanks!