Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suggestions: Cheap, playable 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Aug 11, 2005.

1. I've been getting bored of playing the old 4 strings at home, by myself. In a band situation I can see myself playing nothing else, holding the groove and filling up the sound. However, at home, I like playing around with chords and creating little bass ditties of the sort. I'm thinking a nice 6 string would be a creative release in my off-time.

The thing is, I don't want to spend much. I have an American Deluxe J, which is heavenly, a fretless Squier covering my fretless needs (at the moment...), and another J on the way. So I don't exactly want to blow all my money in one shot.

Basically, I'd like something easily playable and decent sounding. Preferably, a comfortable neck with many frets and an easily accessed high register. A good, clean sound is a plus. I've been looking at Brice and other such companies... look alright, but I don't really want a cheap feeling or sounding bass.

Any suggestions?

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    A Peavey Fury is good, if you can find one. The only criteria it doesn't meet is the "lots of frets" one.

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Peavey Fury QT, Peavey Grind, or Ibanez SR506. You can't go wrong with any of those basses for the dollar value.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Used Carvin LB76.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1

Of the "cheap" 6s I've played, the BTB406 is the best, IMHO. I've owned a couple of cheap 6s (Dearmond Pilot Pro 6, Cort Curbow 6) and I have found that, all things considered, the 406 is sweet.

I've been looking for a 6 and I'm struggling with the idea of saving up for my dream 6 (MTD) or just plunking down a few hundred for a cheaper one. If I go the cheaper route, it'll be with a 406, without a doubt.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    One more thing - I would truly LOVE to see a 6-string MTD Kingston!

7. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    trb6IIs are pretty affordable and are worth it bang for the buck

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I'm perfectly happy with my Brice 6 and would recommend one without reservation.

9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    BTB 406 might be good, i have the405 and it's great.

Also, check out the new btb 556 it has mahogany body instead of basswood and it doesn't cost much more..

10. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I was in a similar situation just a few months ago and bought an Ibanez SR-506. In retrospect, I like the decision as I now love the bass and it's now my main bass, relagating my '79 Stingray to its case for now (though I still love my Stingray!! I've just been playing it for 25 years and the change is nice. lol). :)

I'm currently gassing for a 6 string fretless and considering a Brice (or buying another SR-506 and having it defretted). I'm still investigating this and haven't made a decision yet. Heh heh...

Good Luck and Have Fun!! :bassist:

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    spector legend 6

12. +100000!