1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Supro Huntington Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheIndieKid, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:

1. Thanks much...

2. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I have one. I would rate it okay for $100, but not worth $200. My Fender tolex covered cases are better-made, IMO. I’m sure there’s a well-made guitar case that’ll work, but you may have to try a few at GC or similar.

3. Rich48

Rich48

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    3E8BD8F0-C55D-4957-8F8D-E0CA59FD34AE. 18F65F9D-7EC2-4E01-8D69-62B1EACA6138. I’m ready to join. Got my Huntington 1 today. I bought the bass off Reverb and it was used as a demo at NAMM. The setup on the bass is perfect and I really like the tone that i’m getting. It’s super easy to play and I can use one finger per fret at the headstock end of the neck. I need to do a small shift to accomplish this on my pbass. I get a nice variation in tone playing on both sides of the pickup. The bass is not perfect but it’s close. I would like a little more contour to the body where my right arm rests. I think the volume and tone controls could use a more even pattern of control. Overall I think this will be my favorite bass.

TheIndieKid and gregbackstrom like this.
  4. #9 claudel
    #10 Rich 48

:)

Rich48 and claudel like this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Someone in one of these Supro threads mentioned a place that carried Supros having a 15% sale a while back, and I can't find it. Anyone know what store that was? If there's a Labor Day sale and I can get a deal I might just pull the trigger.

I'd of course love to hear of any other deals... and I'm very much considering trading my Stingray HS (in like new condition) for a Huntington 3 if anyone might be interested. I'd want a few bucks on top though, cuz the value (new) of each is a bit different.

6. Rich48

Rich48

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    I bought mine off Reverb from a seller named Top 40 Guitars. I got my H1 bass for $550 plus shipping. It arrived in excellent condition. It was sold as used but according to the seller was only used as a demo at the NAMM show. They have an H3 for $750 that you may be able to deal on.
    2018 Supro Huntington III Electric Bass! NAMM Show Display Model!

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
  8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    What Hipshot Extender works with this? I forgot to look into that!

9. Gray Hollins

Gray Hollins

Aug 27, 2018
    Thistledown. If you still have the Huntington II and are looking to trade for a Huntington I, I just ordered the mahogany 2041PMN, and am open to a trade. I really enjoy playing both models, and I think long term, the II will be a better fit for me. I love the neck position pick up.

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Just received my Huntington 3. Immediate impressions are giving me a love/hate thing here...

I'd like others input.

First, the weight is bit more than I hoped, but the balance makes up for it. Not an issue.

The bass is beautiful. The action is great. The bass has tons of sweet SWEET sounds in it, I love what it's capable of putting out - and the Piezo is a pleasant surprise. Not at all like the Piezo I had on another electric once that I couldn't really even hear. You HEAR this when it's kicked in. Sounds like an active bass. Allz good on the sound - the neck - the action... I'm loving it!

The hate part...

Don't know if it's a defective bass, or if they're all like this. My volume controls go 1-7 (barely audible), 7-10 (what should be from 1-10). Almost like an on off switch.

This might very well be a deal breaker for me if I can't work things out. I use my volume all throughout my gigs, and I have to have control.

I almost don't want to touch it any more till I get this worked out. I can't afford to have another bass lying around the house that never really gets played. I'm learning that basses aren't quite as easy to sell these days as they were 10 years ago.

Anyhoo.... anyone else have this issue? Is my bass defective? It's under warranty, will Supro fix this, or is it one of those "it is what it is" deals?

All input appreciated.

11. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    That seems pretty typical of passive basses with logarithmic ("audio taper") pots to me. Linear taper pots might help with that.

12. Same on my Huntington. And on my Gibson, on the Gretsch...
    For passive basses I think the best solution is like Ibanez do on the Artcore series: one volume, one tone, three position switch. In this case just the piezo knob to be added.

13. Rich48

Rich48

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    Joe, My H1 has the same issue with the pots. I still have the same amount or range in volume and in tone, but have to use only a tiny adjustment on the pot to make the change. Has anyone tried changing out the pots with a liner taper pot?

14. gregbackstrom

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    It is what it is, but it can be inexpensively fixed. Both of my HIII's are like this, but I've gotten used to it. For me, it's really no different than those amps that have all their usable gain in the first 30-40% of pot rotation. Annoying, but you can adapt pretty easily.

(YMMV, of course ...)

15. I just got a used HII - the neck feels great and it sounds awesome, but I'm a bit disappointed about the weight. Weren't these supposed to be 7.5lbs max? Mine feels just as heavy if not more so than my G&L lb100.

dan1952 likes this.
  16. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    Haven't weighed mine, but it's fairly heavy. Is yours ash, mine is, so heavy isn't a surprise. Mine balances perfectly on the strap, so I like the weight just fine.

17. I got the mahogany one w/ piezo. Heavy bass, but it sounds fantastic

dan1952 likes this.
  18. gregbackstrom

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I weighed my H3 alder, and it’s a bit under 8lbs. My ash H3 feels lighter.

19. Lucky! My mahogany H2 is 9.47 lbs on my digital luggage scale... Seems a bit extreme. For comparison sake, my G&L LB100 is 9.28 lbs on the same scale, and my Epiphone Thunderbird Vintage Pro is 8.35 lbs

20. gregbackstrom

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    I know! My tiny alder H3 weighs as much as my full-sized Gibson EB5. My 34" scale Sadowsky and Lull 5-ers (both with chambered bodies) are actually lighter, at around 7.3 lbs

OTOH, I have a Ken Smith BT from the early 80's that weighs 10 lbs or more! I rarely play it anymore, and only when sitting! (Even the case is heavy!)