SVT810AV arrives with broken wheel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bil, May 18, 2012.

1. bil

bil

Apr 21, 2012
    Hudson, NH
    My new SVT810AV just arrived. The right wheel is bent to the point of not turning. It also doesn't sit squarely; the stack rocks a bit to one side.

There are four screws or bolts holding the wheel on. Is it necessary to get access inside the cab to replace the wheel?

Is it worth the aggravation (read: bringing it to nearby GC) to have it fixed under warranty?

(this didn't stop me from testing it out! am running a 2007 SVR-VR thru it; sounds like my old '78 SVT as best as I remember)

2. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Replacing the wheel caster isn't a tough task by any means, as it has T-nuts on the inside of the cab. You basically un-bolt the caster, and replace it without having to access anything from the inside.
    (IMO) You paid for a "new" cab, so taking it in for them to repair "free" under warranty would the best thing to do, unless it would be a major pain to take it in for repair (long distance drive). If the latter was the case, I would just get them to send a new caster and replace it Myself.

3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I'd get them to replace it just on principle,but I would go to Fliptops and order a pair of wheels from them. The ones on my Heritage 810 were hard plastic,and Fliptops sells the original style hard rubber wheels. Much nicer.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My 810e was new about a month ago. One gig, the original wheels were SEVERELY chunked up from going 25 feet across a black-top parking lot. They are hard plastic, noisy, and not very durable.

I went to the local hardware store and purchased the exact same size and hole pattern wheels made of softer rubber/vinyl and replaced them right away. $15 total, and not only is it quieter, but they show no wear whatsoever after half a dozen gigs. Far superior to the stock wheel. Takes 10 minutes top to swap them out. No need to open up the cab, you can do it all from the outside with a socket wrench.

If I were you, I would just upgrade your wheels for $15 and be done with it.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    +1. that's exactly what i did on mine too.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'd go get myself a new wheel, my Ampeg dealer was very generous with warranty.

On the other side, I have never seen an 8x10 with original wheels, they are either removed or replaced with heavy duty ones...

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Return it!

8. Broken wheel? Could happen to anything during shipping. No big deal. But, lousy quality wheels? Apparently, somewhat widely known to be lousy wheels. To save what? A couple of bucks on a $1000 + cabinet? I'm not feeling the confidence here.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Shipping damage....return it. The wheel is the least of your worries. The knock could've knocked speaker baskets out of alignment, broke glue seals on magnets...who knows what.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    How much experience with them do you have? I would guess very little if any. The wheels on those cabs are pretty good actually. I still see tons of them in use by backline rental companies and touring pros with the original wheels. Obviously it's shipping damage, and a call to Ampeg will get you a replacement wheel as soon as they can ship it.

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    if the cab sounds and is otherwise perfect, i'd just get them to cover the cost of replacing a the wheels, since it's fairly likely that the replacement cab could fare even worse than the present one in transit.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL! If that happened, it would have shown up already when he plugged in.

13. bil

bil

Apr 21, 2012
    Hudson, NH
    Thanx for all your help!

So all could see, i've attached two jpg's of the wheel. It's the caster's frame that's torqued. Doesn't look like much, but it's enough to keep a) the wheel from spinning freely and b) the stack teeters a bit.

Dealer (in California; I'm in New Hampshire) will refund local GC for wheel.

I removed the wheel and went to HomeDepot; one swivel caster had the same hole pattern, but no rigid casters fit. But I'll keep looking...

There doesn't appear to be any damage other than the wheel. Played three hours last night, and didn't notice any issues...

Attached Files:

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    True - but I'd want to look it over carefully for any potential structure damage... Seems to me that the angled board that those casters are mounted to is the area I've seen needing work on Ampeg 810s that have been "rode hard and put away wet" a few too many times... If it were my cab, I might consider pulling the bottom drivers and taking a look inside, to make sure everything was OK in there - and if it was, and there weren't any other issues, I'd just replace the caster and enjoy my new cab... IMO, those new Heritage 810s are pretty sweet...

- georgestrings

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

Not to mention that big cabs tend to be rough on casters, anyways - it's not uncommon for their hardware to need attention if you gig them alot, and not a big deal - cost of doing business, as far as I'm concerned... I seem to get around 2 years of gigging out of the casters on my Mesa big cabs - I think they *could* put better casters on them, but don't see it as a deal breaker...

- gergestrings

16. dspellman

dspellman

Feb 16, 2012
    Yeah, I'd be concerned that whatever caused a hit hard enough to bend the wheel had done internal damage. I'd take it back...and leave it.

It's quite another thing if YOU break a wheel at some point and you know what you did to break it. It's a new cabinet; let it be someone else's issue.

While you're waiting for a new one, you might hunt down the best set of replacement wheels you can find and have them in hand when the new cabinet arrives.

And give some thought to the fact that a 130 lb cabinet is already "aggravating" to take back to GC and that it easily breaks its wheels and allow your mind to consider that there are lighter alternatives.:ninja:

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No there isn't. Yes, there are lighter cabs out there, but if there were legit alternatives for the Ampeg 810, we would use them.

18. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Those pics of the casters make me wonder if they COULD find any cheaper wheels? "Ampeg" is not the only company that has cheapo wheels BTW.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    You might not notice other damage right away. You will when a magnet falls off 2 months from now, or when a coil rubs through after a few hours of use.

If it's a brand new cab, it's a simple warranty return...better safe than sorry.

If it's used, then inspect everything yourself and fix what's needed.

And yeah, that skateboard truck thing is a cool idea.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021