1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Swr headlite vs carvin bx500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Worshipbass12, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    So i'm looking to get a new ( used ) head, i currently use a gk bl600 with an ashdown 210t the gk has been rock solid for years just looking fir a new flavor,
    I can get either one of these and the price is only $50 more for the carvin, thing is i can't play them before hand
    I play christian rock & southern christian rock my current setup is
    Gk bl600
    Ashdown 210t
    2012 am std pbass
    Polytune
    Tube overdrive
    Markbass mini dist
    Boss tr2
    Eden wtdi
    Looking for advice and comparisons from people who have these or have owned these

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I've owned the BX500, and now own the BX1500. I have not played the Headlite, but there are several YouTube demos of it. I think the Carvin might be more versatile; I know the BX1500 is very versatile and I can get any sound I want with a little experimenting. You can also go down to 2 ohms with the Carvin, if it becomes an option. Great bang for the buck, imho, at 500 watts.

3. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    The headlite comes free with a footswitch tuner and rack kit now if you want them. That being said I never found the headlite to be enough. Take a look at Genz Benz I hear there are many a deal to be had on the internet for their gear these days.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The BX500 is a Killer Head. It has plenty of power and endless tonal options. The Compression is crazy powerful and very usable. I never tried the SWR so I can't vote against it but 1 vote for the BX500.

5. bass4peace

bass4peace

Jan 27, 2013
    another bx500 user here. I love this head. Loud! Lots of tone capability. Powers my EV 2x15 along with a bxr2x10 at a 2ohm load and sounds amazing! Run an RPM with this setup too. Cuts through like nobody's business. Totally happy with this head! Never used the headlite though.

6. The way I look at it is that Carvin has a future - SWR has not.

7. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Another Carvin user here. The Carvins are very versatile. There's a lot to like about these amps.

8. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Actually surprised that the swr isn't getting any love

9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    SWR used to be a top bass amp company. Like high-end/great stuff. The sold out though while Carvin is just getting better and more relevent.

I own or have owned 3 Carvin bass amps, a Carvin bass and a Carvin powered PA system, which was pretty amazing for the money. The BX500 is crazy loud and versatile for the money.

10. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Well, concerning the Headlite, I think SWR missed the boat with the 400 watt limit, instead of 500 or even 600 watts that the other brands of micro heads offer. All the demos I have seen of it also refer to it as a " modern " sounding head, which some players ( like me ) are not looking for. Add in to that mix those tiny, concentric knobs, and, well then, there you have it.

11. Surprisingly the SWR Headlite, Genz Shuttle 6.0,6.2, GK MB500, Eden WTX500, Augilar TH350, all share the same output power ICE module.

IMO the ratings are really kind of marketing rather than actual fact. The Augilar says 350 Watts, the Shuttle says 600 Watts. Genz even went on to release the 6.2 with upgraded power management yet kept the 600 Watt marketing. What's all this mean????? The SWR's 400 watt rating isn't exactly what it seems. I've played all those heads and none of them seem to be any louder on a gig than a typical 250 Watt SS head. YMMV

12. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    And yet, I have read that even the TH 350 is loud as hell, and the 500 just incredible. OTOH, I have played the GB heads and have been underwhelmed with their watts ratings. Still, a buyer is gonna see that 400 watt rating, and pass, especially when he sees the price of the Carvin BX500, at 500 watts, and alot more EQ options, and the ability to go 2 ohms.

13. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Sep 20, 2011
    To hear someone say a rig is "loud as hell" is a worthless consideration... usually biased owner-aggrandizement.

The Carvin will be "made in the USA" by undocumented workers; the SWR will be hecho en Mexico by legal workers. Whatever jazzes your priority.

I will say I'm cautiously impressed with the image enhancements Carvin's Customer Service Dept is creating for itself.

14. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Carvin certainly does have a bright future, just as long as Fender doesn't acquire them..:D
    :bag::bag:

15. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    " made in the USA by undocumented workers " ? That's a heck of a statement to make. Can you prove it ?

16. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Have you ever been to the Carvin facility? I have many times and some friends that work there. And I've owned and run a business in So Cal with employees and have a sense of what the penaltys would be for hiring illegal aliens and paying people under the table. Not worth it, especially with a long long history in California as Carvin has. It's a large company and has much to protect and much to lose by doing something stupid like that. It's not a 5 man staff operating out of someones garage.

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Just wait until the BX1000 comes out. ;)

18. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Ha ! The Bx1500 , the BX1000, the BX500 ! :bassist:

19. Worshipbass12

Worshipbass12

Feb 23, 2013
    Nw georgia
    Both are used and i can get the bx500 for $260 or the headlite for $200 don't need a lot of power as i only use my small rig for stage volume always have pa support

20. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Check out the videos of the Headlite and the BX500 on YouTube.