1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX versus Jazz bass necks.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by e_fence, Oct 23, 2009.

1. e_fence

e_fence

Oct 23, 2009
    Atlanta
    Quick question for anyone who has SX basses and can speak about their necks versus Fender Jazz necks. I need an inexpensive 'beater' bass for some around town gigs and because I have a two year old running around the house.

I've played and owned Jazz basses and my main bass is a STERLING - very thin small neck. I know the SX bass necks are a bit thicker, but was just wondering if anyone would speak to the playability versus a thin 'jazz' style neck.

2. I have had several SX basses, and to me the necks are considerably thicker. Not comfortable at all. I know there's a lot of people on here that swear by them, but most of mine ended up in the dumpster.

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    my SX jazz bass neck is the same width as a Fender Jazz, but I believe it is a little thicker front to back. Easy to play, very comfortable.

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The SX J neck I have is just the smallest amount thicker than a modern J bass neck.

5. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The SX Jazz necks I have played were noticeably thicker front to back than Fender Jazzes.

Whether that equals "uncomfortable" would really depend on player preference.

6. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Fingerboard width wise, they're basically the same as a Fender Jazz. Front to back? They're thick as hell and I love that about them. My SX Jazz bass is probably the best feeling bass neck I've ever owned. (Standard Jazz thin width with a nice thick depth... that's way deeper than any Fender I've played). I love them and they're perfect for me. All that aside, SX is cheap enough to give a shot and see for yourself if it's the choice for you.

The real hands on is the bread and butter. If you don't like it, you could probably flip it here for somewhat of what it cost. I mean, people on TB are banana's for SX basses! (Myself included. :D)

7. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    +1, I have 4 basses with SX J necks on them. Best feeling necks of any bass to me. It just works out that they're cheap.

8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have 2 70's Jazz basses and 2 SX Jazz basses
    Ther earlier Jazz has a thinner sided to side and front to back neck than the SX
    The later Jazz is abouth the same width but only slightly thicker front to back

I like the SX shape better than the Fenders
    The SX is considerably smaller than a P neck if that is of any help

9. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I am always amazed that people like the SX neck over the Fender. Just goes to show you it isn't about money.

10. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Neck "feel" is just about preference. To me SX necks feel very similar to my G&L necks. A slightly more substantial feel that I like. As to what you have to pay to get such a neck is an entirely different question.

Actual measurements on necks at 5th fret

Thickness:

SX = 22.7 mm
    G&L = 23.5 mm
    OLP = 24.2 mm

(These are all 5 string basses. Someone with 4 stringers will have to do that measurement)

11. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    The necks feel great to me - as comfortable as any American Jazz I own/have owned. Perhaps a little thicker front to back, but never uncomfortable. What's more, I'm amazed at the quality of the wood SX seems to come up with for basses at these prices. Every SX bass I own has beautiful figuring on both front & back. After 3 SX basses in a row, I can't help but think somewhere along the line I've been taken for a ride by other companies who don't or won't come up with nice looking pieces of wood to use for necks for basses even with starting prices in the $500 (or higher) range. I've never seen this kind quality of wood in this price range, that's for sure.

Example of front figuring on neck:

100_1421.

What I'd guess is at least AAA-quality Tiger flame maple on another of my SX basses:

100_1621.

12. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    BTW, let me know which dumpster you're tossing these in please. ;)

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    ... and save the P necks for me. :)

14. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    :D

15. It's the one next to my house. Feel free to come rummage around in the trash if you want. I'm sure my neighbors won't care. :p

16. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Send me the address, and I'll have "my people" get on it. :D

17. Your "people?" I'm afraid!:D

18. My 2 SX SJB 62-4+5 basses have a thinner neck then my Fender Jazz Deluxe V.......GO FIGURE ???

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My SX P necks are a bit smaller than my Fender Precisions.

20. stingray69

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    There wouldn't happen to be an abandoned Ferrari next to that dumpster with a note saying "Please take, free of charge - not enough leg room"...would there? :D