1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SX - you Americans are lucky

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Temcat, May 11, 2010.

1. Visited the local Yamaha music instruments store today. Surprisingly, they had a handful of old-headstock SX guitars and basses there (didn't know anybody sold SX stuff in Russia!). But when I saw the prices, I was shocked. $400 for SPJ Ash, $550 for SJB LTD! You Americans are truly lucky that you can get them for $100+.

Is there anybody here from other countries of the world who has seen a higher price for an SX at home?

2. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, lucky but..the influx of cheap imported stuff into our country has resulted in a severe erosion of our (manufacturing) job base.

3. We have SXs but you guys have Stagg
    I dunno are they comparable?

4. Wow exactly what i opened this thread to say, and trust me werenot lucky to get these Sx's i had 2 they got sent back they were one step above junk.

5. I'd like to know the comprability to the Stagg as well... totally GASing for a Jag Stagg... (and simultaneously kicking myself for passing up the SX Jag)

In any case... i love my $80 SX PJ (super sexy sunburst w/black pick guard). After a set-up and some string changes it's simply astounding what kind of quality is there.

Oddly though... the old headstock basses have SKYROCKETED in price here... used ones go for at LEAST $200 on the regular. $250 is the average price IME. I don't agree with it... but that's the way it is. Haha, nice to know if i EVER thought about selling mine, i'd make hella profit...

In any case... when you see the local prices explode for the old head stocks... i can easily see why they would be SUPER outrageous over on your end.

6. Find me a comperable cheap US alternative and i'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Till then... my search for a US Peavey (t20/Fury) continues :atoz:

7. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I love my SX fretless J. It was even set up almost perfectly, just lowered the action a little bit, checked intonation, and was good to go!

8. haha... din you still looking? There is a USA Fury in a local pawn shop for $150. It has been there forever. It needs a refin, if you don't like mojo. The neck is beautiful.

9. I played a Stagg Jazz borrowed from a friend once. It wasn't outright bad, it had average playability and produced unremarkable but jazz-ish tone. But those two SXs were sure a step up from what I remember about the Stagg.

Maybe newer Staggs are better. Perhaps it's time to check again :) They go for about $200 locally.

10. joemagar

joemagar Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Baltimore, MD

+100000000000000000000000000

11. :crying: Florida ain't local...

And the 'looking' is on a 1-paycheck (2 week) hiatus due to my first EVER speeding ticket that i recieved yesterday.

12. Hmmm, maybe that will send the right signal to Rondo or Team Int'l, whoever initiated the HS change ;)

13. I can't comment on the quality of Stagg from own experience, but they are conceived worse than I conceive SX in terms of quality.

OP: I got my old-headstock SX P for reasonable EUR 150 w/ shipping here: http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180489059114

The correlated store apparently sells some SX stuff. You might have a look into it or ask the guys directly. The spanish reseller http://www.sxguitarspain.com/sx_bass.htm does not even answer emails so it might be difficult to deal with them.

14. I dunno.... i'm sensing a 'New Coke' kind of sittuation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_coke)... me thinks CONSPIRACY!!! :bag:

15. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
  16. Thanks for the tip. I prefer local purchases when at home - Russian customs are a bitch to deal with, and with cheap instruments, individual shipment doesn't make economical sense anyway.

17. bandwife

bandwife

Nov 10, 2008
    South Carolina
    Well then, let's blame Fender, Gibson, Jackson, and a host of others that started manufacturing here and then moved sizable parts of the business overseas. Shame them into moving all operations back within our borders. Convince them making money and lowering prices, and increasing sales and availability are not as important as saving a manufacturing plant.

Next you need to convince the millions of Americans that moved into health and technology (and other) sectors that it really is better for them to work in a manufacturing plant.

Once you have those two taken care of, you then have to tell all the 'yet to be musicians' that they will have to save for years before they can own an instrument and start learning. Perhaps they will settle for cigar box guitars and washtub basses.

Progress manifests itself in many ways, the loss of a job sector most often (in this country) paves the way for a new and often better sector.

Ridiculous.....

I respect that opinion. But to be fair, there a a great number of very skilled/talented professional bass players that regularly gig with SX basses. SX basses are also a good starting point for a project build. To say they are junk is not fair (and possibly a violation of forum rules). SX might not suit you, and you may have some specific complaints concerning the design or manufacture, but to completely dismiss them is irresponsible.

Now, for the topic at hand (which neither of the above referenced posts paid any attention to)

In my travels, I have seen some of the bargain brands sell for incredibly high prices. Although I have never seen a markup like what you describe. I even found an SX the last time I was in China that cost more than it would here in the U.S. That is also often the case with computers and camera's in China now too.

The trick is to find the same guitar (or manufacturer) under a different brand name. For instance it is often thought that Jim Deacon, Harley Benton, and a few I can't remember are SX's in disguise.

BTW you might get a better response posting this question in the Essex (SX) Bass Club Thread.

18. Well its not against forum rules, and if you re-read what i said , i said "one step above" junk , i did not call them junk. I know people gig with them , but it really is not "alot" Tb is a very very small sigment of bass players, probably 99% of bass players dont know what SX is.

I agree SX is a great start for a modding platform , but out of the box not that many can be tuned and played that day comfortably the majority need frets leveled, set ups and other adjustments.

I feel there a great bass for memebers of Tb to buy and mod and thats about it , if i saw a 14 year old at guitar center i would not say hey for your first bass save some dough an buy an sx . Why? because they come usually with issues that need addressing , this kid is not going to know it needs a fret dress and such and this young player can give up because of this.

So i am not dismissing them but i think people need to quit pushing how great they are for begineers because really you need to posses some skill at working on instruments because more then likely it will have some issues. Both mine needed fret dressing andd the pickups were so unaligned that the E string was very dead no matter what i did. I gave up on trying to fix it and i have experience.

19. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010

Are these quotes in in Russian currency converted to US Dollars?

20. I once owned a Stagg P/J. Pretty nice tone but a thin, bendy neck and crappy pots. I'd prefer a J&D's over a Stagg any time.