1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass Mail-order Bride Ads?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Hey, what the heck is up with all the "mail-order bride" ads that have been popping up on TalkBass lately?

First it was "Tina, Debby, Lily & Amber" of ChineseWomenDate.com. Since then, I've seen similar ads for [DEL]Russian[/DEL] Ukrainian women ("Natalya, Tatyana, Lillya & Alena"), Filipino women, Latin American women, and others...

<------- There they are! Right there on the left margin of the page... :meh:

I'm pretty sure there's nothing in my web browsing habits that's been causing them to target me. Anyone else been seeing 'em too?

Is there something about the bassist demographic that attracts them to us? :confused:

MM

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Shouldn't of gotten ad-blocker... :D

3. Ssssssssh, keep it on the DL, man! Some of us need the help!

I mean... not me, of course but... you know... other guys.

:bag:

4. Hi.

Can't see 'em???

Wait..., what..., I'm using an ad-blocker...

New to the internet, now are we?

Regards
    Sam

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    :p

MM

6. That reminded me to install the Ad Blocker extension in Safari. Done. Yep, Mail-order brides in left column are now gone.

7. talkbass.com has ads? :confused:

8. How much are they??

9. I disabled my Javascript blocker just to take a look at this, and I can see a bunch of shaadi.com ads to my left (shaadi, in Hindi, means marriage: it's a matrimonial site :p).

10. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Same here, I haven't asked for them. Those women are just one click away. I'd rather like to see bass or music related ads. I'm not so sure whether they comply with the TB regulations concerning suitability for minors. However, it's not up to me to judge, it's only a question which springs to mind.

11. It's clever targeted advertising.

Bass players need women too . . .

12. As far as I'm aware, TB don't have complete control over the ads being shown (or at least, they don't get a huge say in what gets put there). They just get put up by google ads.

13. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I don't want to start a discussion here. I won't argue that bassists may need partners to share life with, but we know how to find them anyway. It just came to my mind that TB do maintain quite strict rules regarding direct content and content of linked material I personally don't care whatever they allow and I'm not going to interfere with that.

14. Internet Police

Internet Police

Sep 4, 2011
    Damn mobile app. I need a good ukranian woman (its a oxymoron I know) to clean some stuff around the house and plow some fields.

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    TB is one of the few sites I don't ad block... And boy am I glad! Otherwise I wouldn't have seen the ad for hot Russian brides last week. I've ordered six.

...Maybe I should have sprung for overnight shipping though... I opted for ground shipping and I worry that the box will take a few more weeks to get here.

16. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maybe the TB moderators are moonlighting from their TB duties as worldwide pimps of foreign hotties? :ninja: :D

17. The first post, about needing lovin' was a tongue in cheek gag about bass players not getting the girl. It's Christmas, lighten up :)

The second post is exactly what it said on the tin. The TB owner and mods have limited control on the ads that pop up, and advertisers can get around the filters (it is all run via separate companies).

TB does not specifically choose the adverts, all they can do is filter them as best as possible. Some will always get through the cracks. There's a sticky at the top of the forum regarding political ads. To be honest, it isn't just political ads which they obviously want to limit.

If anyone has a problem or thinks there is an inappropriate advert, PM one of the mods so they can try to deal with it.

I'll also echo the sentiments of other users, get adbock!

18. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    They'll be old upon arrival.

19. for some reason this made me think of what kind of bride one could order from talkbass. :D

I'd have to say it would be a keg of beer with boobs and a framed pic of either an asian girl or Kari from Myth busters. :D

20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    As long as they remain hot and retain their Russian accents, I'm perfectly fine with older...