The anti-Mars Volta thread.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Am I the only guy on TB who hated this thing? I bought it based on a bunch of recommendations from TB members, and I find it largely unlistenable. Lots of noise, effects, fast drumming - all these things I typically like, yet I don't hear any SONGS on this album. Ugh.

TB, you owe me $16.95 (plus tax).
  2. Personally, I like the 2 songs that I've heard by this band. My brother found them by mistake on and I immediately said "sweet". A few days later, I found out the guitarist and singer were from some emo band (I listened to them afterward, garbage to my ears.) A bit after that I read that the keyboard player was in LBDAS. Pretty cool. A week or two later my brother told me he found out Flea was the bass player. It finally made sense why all the bass forums (fora?) were abuzz with this band. I never bothered reading the posts and figured every music forum was the same. :) Silly me. Anyway, the point is that I like what I've heard, but not because of who's in the band. It's just a sound I happen to dig. Triaxis, don't be discouraged if you feel alone. It's not your fault; to each his own. ;)
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I heard the album and don't see what the big flamin' deal is. They're decent at what they do. I don't think they lived up to the hype at all, though.
  4. You shouln't have expected to be blown away by them.. FOrtunately we people have each our own taste for music and nobody is forced to like anything. It's is cool that you didn't like them. I personally don't love their stuff but I recognize they have something authentic.. and can enjoy listening to their stuff sometimes. I don't think their stuff is for everyone's ears thought.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've listened to deloused a few times, and i'm not really that impressed either. i'm glad that some folks are getting excited hearing bands do weird music, though. it would be a great thing if these guys got big - perhaps help open the market up even more for bands and musicians that try to put a bit more thought and a bit less hormones into their music. :)
  6. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I just find it weird how many posts are made in regards to the negative aspect of one thing or another on these boards. Whether it be the colour someone chooses for his or her bass, the music one person enjoys, the amp someone decides to buy, etc, etc.

I'm probably wrong in saying it, but I just refrain from posting my negative thoughts or comments towards someone elses positive... unless ofcoarse I am asked my opinion, in which case I will state it regardless as to what anyone else thinks.

I mean sure it is fine to discuss stuff, and I'm sure The Mars Volta wouldn't give a rats arse what basstriaxis thinks about their album, but to start a thread about how much you dislike something is just lame IMO.

Then again, I posted my thoughts so who cares. I deleted it.
  7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm with you, triaxis. There is so much hype around these guys. I went to see them live (they opened for Red Hot Chilli Peppers (not my usual cup of tea but it was a good show) in May), and it was garbage. The guitarist was making noise, the bass player and drummer were holding a good groove (that couldn't be heard under the guitarist's Jimi Hendrix impressions), and the singer was a total Plant rip off (with Daltrey's stage antics added). A lot of people on the floor turned their backs to the stage (me included). Was that disrespectful? Absolutely. However, these guys weren't playing music (and that's coming from someone who likes avant garde jazz!).

It was all over for me when they stopped in the middle of a "song," and the singer yelled "**** you mother ****ers, we rock!" They proceeded to trhow mic stands down and such. I wasn't impressed. When a band has to swear at you, and tell you they're good, they probably aren't.

I was told that they were a better band in the studio, so I borrowed Deloused.... Well, I can say that the live show was a victim of a pretty bad mix, but I was still hearing a lot of the same thing- noise, with no clear songs.

I guess that's my opinion on The Mars Volta.
  8. to each his own. the mars volta are one of my favorite bands, and they were great live both times I saw them.

next time, listen to the CD before you buy it..

9. At The Drive-In is not exactly your typical "some emo band"...but you're free to think what you like.

I bought the album genuinely excited to hear it, I got the Tremulant EP and was intrigued by it. Not exactly blown away, but interested. I bought De-Loused with no expectations and was very impressed. I suppose my feelings on it were different because I wasn't exposed to the huge amount of hype behind it. I honestly think it's a pretty good first album from a talented group of guys with some great artwork and interesting ideas.

Hype has a tendency of destroying good works; I hated the Strokes when they came out simply because they sounded so mediocre. Now, that the hype has died down some and they're no longer being dubbed "saviors of rock" I think they're a pretty decent rock band.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Eh, I was just trying to stir things up a little bit. So many people on TB love this album, so I am clearly in the minority. I think it's important that there are voices of dissent sometimes; it can cause people who defend it to truly think about what they are defending. Not to mention getting people really stinking mad can be pretty entertaining. Just look at Munji's posts.:D

I'm glad Mars Volta doesn't care about my opinion. If they did, they wouldn't be Mars Volta. I applaud bands that stick to their guns, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

I hope that weirder bands like this do get big. The world needs more Radioheads, King Crimsons, etc. More thought and less hormones, indeed.
  11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ditto. Well said.
  12. Saw 'em live last week..... was frankly bored with them. ATD-I without the exciting bits, or Led Zep's boring bits repeated. I really can't see what's so great about them.

Heard the LP this week, didn't do anything to change that view.

The way the press has been treating it, you'd expect it to be ATD-I up several notches, yeah? Ah well.......

13. sometimes it feels like we all live in totally different worlds of concepts. although I love the music ATD-I made, I find the Mars Volta's stuff at least equally exciting, if not more.

well, whatever blows your hair back.
  14. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey, I think the album is pretty average myself, so you're not alone! ;)

I liked ATDI's Relationship of Command WAY more than this new Mars Volta stuff.
  15. I bought the album about a month ago and after the first couple spins through wasn’t all that impressed. I’ve since listened to the CD probably 6-8 times and it has really grown on me. A lot of the songs that didn’t make any sense to my ears now sound great.

Even if the CD didn’t grow on me, though, I wouldn’t have called it money wasted. I really appreciate any band that doesn’t conform with the latest radio trends and tries to expand their own boundaries. At the very least The Mars Volta does that and we could certainly use more bands with that kind of attitude.
  16. One of the worst album covers ever, IMO.

if u like dali or any surrealisim artist u would like it.

i really love this ablume, when i frist listen to it i wasnt inlove with every song but i new it was pretty diffent,and most things that arre diffent u kinda have to lern to love it, like when i started listen to fugazi i thought there songs werent that good then when i realized wat the songs were about i started to love the, well back to Mars Volta when i found out wat the ablume was about, it made the all cazy noise and the songs make sense.
  17. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000

You're replying to my quote.

I love Dali specifically and surrealism generally, but a disembodied bald man's head spouting some kind of light ray is something I do NOT enjoy looking at. It does nothing to make me want to pick up the album. Like I said, "IMO".

And, again IMO as I'm no art expert, the cover has nothing to do with Dali/surrealism. Rather it is a fairly literal illustration of (IMO!) a lame title.
  18. sorry i couldnt think of a better way to put wat i said.i should of said if you like surrealism you probly would like the cover art work.
    iam used to talking to high school kids that dont get art. and when they see art ther eliek it sucks its dumb.iam a huge fan of dali(i have a tattoo of a melting clock he made out of brass on my arm and i plan to get othere things from dali to make a sleeve) i know the cover isnt from him.

but isnt it still surrealism. i thought its useing real or realist objects in unrealist ways even if the images are literaly wat the title means. (sorry about spelling)

wat does the title of the cd mean by the way.
  19. TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I dont know on the whole topic. I didnt think it was the best music in the world, but hey, I've seen the phrase "IMO" about 70 times in this post so why the hell not say its IMO. One of my better friends is obsessed with ATDI, and is a huge Mars Volta fan. It appeals to alot of people I guess because you have your talent in the band (Flea) and then you have your screamo squealing and whining that were all used to. IMO, it's all good, and you can listen to what you want to, and think what you want to think as long as it doesnt affect anyone negatively.
  20. actually, that whole band is rather talented. the drummer (his name slips me now)is one of the best ive heard lately. omar is a damn good guitarist and very creative when it comes to effects/writing, cedric has a pretty unique voice, and can get pretty high pitches, and juan is very talented. hell, he did a nice bass solo whenever i saw him in pittsburgh for about 4 or so minutes, and it was one of the better i've heard. he always did some nice fills all the time, plus their jams were amazing. of course, IMO. ;)