1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The bass equivalent to Jack White?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zachoff, Oct 6, 2010.

1. You think there is one? Plays junky basses like they're going out of style, plays a mean blues piano, writes catchy, old dirty blues songs like nobody's business, shows with no setlists, pours his heart and sould into ever performance, lives for improv...

Kinda weird, but him and Dave Grohl are kinda my new age heroes & aren't even bass players. I just like what they've done for music. :)

2. thomashawk

thomashawk

Jun 29, 2010
    New York, NY
    I'll say Mike Watt, but only after Jack puts a few more miles on himself.

3. That's who I thought of as well. Good stuff. I'd really love to play bass in a band with Jack White though. I think it'd make my life.

4. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    JW fascinates me for some reason. He isn`t that great a player, his singing is atrocious. But it`s his quirkiness that`s refreshing. He plays all that obscure, crap gear, records in outdated RTR studios, writes and records albums in weeks rather than months or years (the way it used to be done), generally shuns newer tech - a definite Luddite and throwback. He is a great songwriter / lyricist too, btw. A bassist version of him? No one I know of.

5. I don't know of a bassist offhand, but I like the two musicians you mentioned, and might I add Dex Romweber.

6. Rad, yeah... Flat Duo Jets were sick for sure.

7. +1 ;)

I thought his (quickly saved) JAMES BOND theme song for the last movie was a beauty too. IMO one of THE best Bond theme songs ever!
    Ireverent!?!? :p

8. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium

(I don't think of any bassist playing like that...)

9. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i was thinking mark sandman.

10. heavyfunkmachin

heavyfunkmachin

Jan 21, 2005
    + 1

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I would say Les Claypool , but he doesn't play junky basses

12. bkile

bkile

Jun 7, 2010
  13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    The genius of Jack White is that he's totally osmosis'd (osmosed?) himself with old blues 78's, but he forges forward with a sonic pallette that's uniquely his. He's a luddite in a lot of ways, but he's always quick to embrace new technology (Like the whammy pedal, for instance.) He's doing what guys like Peter Green, Clapton, and Rory Gallagher were doing forty years ago--taking the blues and modernizing it.

As opposed to, say, the Black Keys, who (IMO) write pop songs that sound like a lost blues record.

14. DreadRaver

DreadRaver

Nov 19, 2008
    Associate of Cusack Music / Mojo Hand FX
    That was my gut reaction to the OP too!

But i really love those links for Death from Above 1979.
    They remind me a lot of The Black Keys.
    Cool stuff, very similar to the 2 pc bass/drums project I've envisioned for a while ('cept I'd be doing the lead vocals while playing bass.)

15. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Jaco was like that. Only better.

16. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Why do we even need one????

17. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Funny, when they were a local band here in Detroit, they/he was kinda a joke.
    Give someone a record deal and a cover of Rolling Stone and they are on another level all of a sudden.
    Just IMO....
    At least Dave Grohl can play.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For real, I am in awe of his ability as a guitarist and drummer.:eek:

19. That's funny, because the first thing I thought was "how long will this take to turn into a 'Jack White sucks' thread?"

Looks like 38 minutes is my answer.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021