Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the BEST/MOST VERSATILE used 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 7, 2006.

1. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    i need a new bass, and i don't want to spend over 800 bucks. does anyone know of anything good that can be had for this price?

for the record, i'm not a big fan of ridiculously wide necks or fenders.

(HD's edit - please read the rules and FAQ about posting ads in the forums. Thanks!)

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Check out a KSD Jazz Bass. Made by Ken Smith. Can't go wrong. Totally a pro axe, classic versatility of a jazz. The price is right
    http://www.basscentral.com/2003/ksd.shtml
    Get it anywhere you want but here's a reputable dealer.

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

G&L Tribute 2000, anyone?

4. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    the ksd looks cool.

g&l... im actually not a huge fan. maybe it was just the one i played, but i wasn't impressed.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, for Versatility and bang to buck, The Urge bass series is pretty good.

6. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    If you're lucky you could pick up a used Modulus jazz. Just about any jazz around that price will be good. The marcus miller is great, as is the geddy lee.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

I was thinking "jazz bass" when I read the title, but I feel an Urge II would perhaps be more versatile given the P-pickups it has.

8. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The proud new owner in me says BONGO!!!!

18v preamp, 4-band EQ, two massive humbuckers, easy to play. Lots of tonal possibilities

Worth a test drive, anyway . . .

9. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

... at the very least.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can find a used bongo for $800 if you get lucky.

11. Yeah, I was thinkin' Jazz bass too, but he said no Fenders. So I proudly reccomend a Music Man Sterling. With the toggle switch you can go "big" or "single coil" or "bridge on a J like".
    Plus the quality an consistancy will be excellent and you may even have a few bucks left over!

12. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
  13. fender highway 1 jazz, or the Geddy Lee jazz.
    both are under $800, new. sorry you don't like fenders.
    Leo's designs dominate the bass world.:cool:

14. A Fender American Precision or Jazz would do quite nicely.

15. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I'll throw out a suggestion, even though he said "no Fenders".

Roscoe Beck signature. It's uber-versatile with the dual humbuckers that each have 3 different coil tap settings. It can get anything from an old school p-bass thump to the honky Jaco bridge pickup nasal tone, and lots of other sounds in between. You should be able to get a used one for right at $800 or so.

16. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well. i took a look at the roscoe beck. and it looks AMAZING.

now i'm rele interested. anyone have one to sell used?

17. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I'm selling an Ibanez BTB1000 for less than $800. PM me/check out my thread in the classfieds.

18. SQUIER JAZZ!

...what? - it's not a Fender...(well, not quite!) ...but think of it this way...you could probably get 4 or 5 of the best squires you can find for 600 dollars, a good mixture of jazz and precision if ya want, well you asked for tonal versatility - you get different sounds from both:cool:

or...er...variax?

19. Get an American Fender. You're just a kid, you'll grow to like it. For serious.

20. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    thruout the last hour ive changed my mind about fender.

haha.

the roscoe beck iv did it. i rly need to get one in my hands. but new is a little steep. used would b perfect.