1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Combo Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChefKen, Mar 22, 2015.

1. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    "Duh!", indeed, Plaid One. Those pinched nerves in my back had me wondering if I was headed to "a home" prematurely, 'cause I don't think Mrs. Dog was gonna put up with me much longer. (Thank God the surgery went well and I'm walking more normal every day.) Last "home" I visited much, when the MIL was recovering from her last drive, they had a very talented resident pianist who could play anything from blues, to rock, to broadway and opera. I was thinking I'd move in to that place and take my smallest combo for daily jams! Yep, we boomers aren't gonna have to wait for "rock 'n roll heaven", because our "old folks homes" will have a hell of a band! Band!! BAND!!!

2. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I think it was here I'd said I'd post a pic of my amp simulator by Korg. 3"x 6", 3 AA batteries. Simulates 11 different heads, 10 cabs and 11 effects w/ adjustable gain, bass-mid-treble, volume and effect depth. I've had this about 20 years(?). I used it into a 3 channel keyboard amp w/ keys in 1 and bass in another. Here it is: 1004181334-00.
    nearly life size. There's a newer version w/ pedal controls.

mikeyjm2, Morrighan and G-Dog like this.
  3. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    I've been using this little guy at band practice lately. It sounds pretty damn good for a 20 watt open back combo.
    20180306_151643.

4. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    There are 2 of these currently listed on Reverb(1 is blue-IDK if it's different.)

5. That's neat!

GonePlaid likes this.
  6. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    It actually works and can make a small(er) amp sound like a "mini" SVT(or other amp of choice) without the grunt and strain. I rarely use it any more as I'm happy with the tones I get from my Rumble 200C. However, I hooked it up today to my Rumble 40 just for grins and was once again amazed at the variety of amps it could simulate w/o carrying 200 lbs. of gear.:thumbsup:

SoulReflection likes this.
  7. Which makes a modeling combo amp like the Rumble Studio 40 quite interesting in a theoretical way. Not really sure about the practicality of a 40 watt amp that can model a Sunn Coliseum. Maybe uncertain why I would want to model that amp at that volume? Yet part of me would enjoy modeling a tuck and roll Kustom. Especially if the Rumble projects a hologram of a tuck and roll Kustom. In that sparkly blue. I'm in.

G-Dog, iagtrplyr and GonePlaid like this.
  8. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Good evening, gang,

I've enjoyed reading the posts where ya'll are mentioning playing gigs at places for those who may not be able to get out to a music concert. I've done my share of that over the years with zero regrets. I played in a duo a few years ago and, consequently, we were regulars at the place my dad lived at. My mom would bring him down to where we played, and in five minutes he'd be sound asleep. I looked at it like we soothed, but then again, TV did that too. No matter, we played anything from the 1920s to The Doobie Bros, blues, to pop, to heavy metal (okay, no metal), and the folks appreciated it so much. I never left a venue I didn't feel better myself about the world around me. That is until I'd get home and put on the news...

If anyone else has a heartwarming tale to tell, this is a great time to share it with your bass brethren. Thanks!

Morrighan and GonePlaid like this.
  9. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Preach, Doggie, preach! You're gonna think I'm nuts, (which I am but that's beside the point) but I told the Mrs. that when it's time to "hit the home" I have to have a place with a Great Room to play in. My vision, like the pooch's, is a permanent piano played by someone who knows how a percussionist (because few want to hear Keith Moon at that point in their lives), an acoustic or lightly-electric guitarist, maybe a sax or other melody instrument, and of course my Jazz (if I can still lift it) and Micromark 801 amp. I don't care if we get to the point where we don't know if it even sounds good; I just want to wrap up this crazy existence in song.

BTW, we've found the place that'll meet my exact needs, but we're waiting a few years before making that move. Until then, we must rock on! Good hunting G-Dog! Keep us posted.

G-Dog, Morrighan and GonePlaid like this.
  10. iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    M, keep it iet-quey on the umble-ray udio-stay orty-fey, would ya? Keep that talk going and GP will be on me about getting or not getting one. After the Acoustic buy, I'm currently on amp hiatus, partially of my own choosing because I'm outta room! It's been tough too, but not as tough as having to figure out how to type pig-latin...

G-Dog, Morrighan and GonePlaid like this.
  11. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Just to be perfectly(?)clear, I have a Rumble 40, not the Studio 40. (A.)the Studio wasn't available when I got the R40. (B.)I'm no longer interested in modeling(amps, that is). The little Korg amp sim was purchased at a time when I was trying to get a "better" bass sound from a keyboard amp that has 3 separate channels and a 15" speaker-and horn-that I could play bass or keyboard(w/ bass section)through w/o carrying 2 amps. As it is, that keyboard amp weighs more than the R200c and R40 combined.:wideyed:

iagtrplyr and Morrighan like this.
  12. Pig Latin is easy.

CYTUTFLOEW?
    (Can You Talk Using The First Letter Of Every Word?)

TBONTB,TITQ.
    (To Be Or Not To Be, That Is The Question)

iagtrplyr and GonePlaid like this.
  13. Okay but I'm still down with an amp as light as a Rumble that projects a hologram of a Major Rig.

Kickstarter?

iagtrplyr, G-Dog and GonePlaid like this.
  14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008

15. That's a lot of combo goodness there.

16. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    We managed to survive last night's gig crowd, which was a little older than our usual audience. Lot more ballads, for example. But they like us and are looking forward to our next appearance there. We need about 4-5 "doo-wop" tunes to make them happy(er). We'll 4 chord them to death. And I get to do my falsetto thing on the end(oo-wee-oo-ooooo.):rolleyes:

17. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Careful not to shatter any of them wine glasses :).

GonePlaid and G-Dog like this.
  18. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    With this crowd, more like water glasses.

SoulReflection likes this.
  19. With this crowd, more like glasses of colonoscopy prep solution. :eek:

SoulReflection, GonePlaid and G-Dog like this.
  20. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    {cough} . . . {cough} . . . Gack! . . . {gag} . . . NOT something that I . . . { shudder} . . . keep in stock at home. I DISPOSE of all remnants of that after every use and don't get any more until the last minute at the next requirement!

And I refuse to get any for the medicine chest in the Combo Clubhouse, no matter how much @Giffro keeps requesting it. You know, he eats Vegemite, also. Have you ever tasted that stuff? {shudder . . . shudder} Brrrrrr! I think his taste buds have died. :vomit:

{cough} . . . Ahem!