1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Combo Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChefKen, Mar 22, 2015.

1. That I changed today from the outfit I wore downtown to sweatpants means it is safe to file the colonoscopy prep solution crack as "ha ha, only serious." For the colonoscopy prep day is now and the solution tastes better with the lemon packet than without. That's sad. Each glass of solution at 15 minute intervals is followed by a piece of hard candy ....

This is the second procedure in four months, because I was graded an "incomplete" the last time around .... :bawl:

All of which means to-morrow evening I take my bass downtown to play regardless.

Freshly arrived in the post is a set of chrome Gotoh Res-o-lite 350 tuning machines. They should be a direct drop-in. The guy at the nearby brick and mortar will swap them in. I have neither the tools nor inclination for that kind of work. Yeah I did the setup with the floating bridge myself. That was easy. And no tools were required beyond a measuring tape and tuner.

The OEM tuning machines work perfectly well. Perfectly well insofar as the bass holds its tune even in heat and humidity. The action is okay but does not feel as sure as the OEM tuning machines on my Music Man. The Gotohs are certain to be lighter and that is very good by me. Pics to follow. The tuners shipped in bubble wrap inside plastic bags, and I've no inclination to open them "just to see". Will take the bass to the brick and mortar and say here's the bass and here's the tuners.

On the subject of upgrades (of sorts), this tale involves my cable. Some years ago I bought a Fender Koil Cord curly cable. Not so much that it's all retro and all (it is), but so I don't step on it. The cable developed a crackle at the straight plug where I connect it to the VT Bass Deluxe. Lifetime warranty, right? Expensive cable. Asked Fender.

Gotta receipt?
    Nope.
    Whatcha got?
    Ownership. Been in my sole possession since I bought it years ago.
    Whatcha need?
    About a three meter cable, I reckon. Chose the Koil Cord so I don't step on it, but I don't stray far on stage.
    We'll get something right to ya.

:: suspense ::

Have some zinfandel in the fridge for the final :: ahem :: push. Supposed to drink water between the final glasses of solution. Figure the wine will ease the revulsion my body recoils with horror as I consider the last of the jug. Even Vegemite is likely preferable.

- M

Oh here's a better shot of the magnificent strap. I accessorize well.

20181006_134511.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    G-Dog and GonePlaid like this.
  2. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Before my recent colonoscopy, I told the sawbones that I couldn't quite finish the vile liquid without 'ralphing', which kinda defeats the purpose, so they 'allowed' me to mix Mira-Lax into Gatorade. At least slightly less revolting. Cool strap-looks able to survive gigging rigors.:thumbsup:

Morrighan likes this.
  3. Yeah, everything about the strap suits me. The corker is it is cut to fit on order - 140 cm / 55 inches to fit the semi-hollowbody. Sort of a resonance here as the strap can't slip and the headstock will be lighter.

There's a Vegemite joke in here somewhere but it escapes me now. There is a fermented bean paste used in Japanese cooking that i've tried as sushi. A delicacy, I'm told. Did once have fugu at a sushi bar where I was a "regular". And here to tell the tale. Would go back for the fugu and maybe even try the fermented bean paste thing again. After a lot of sake.

4. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    OMG, girl, I hope the hard candy has no dye(s) in it, especially red! I was told that's a disqualifying offence. Good luck with the prep!

That's the spirit! I always awake refreshed afterwards. Hungry, but refreshed. Hope you do, too.

OoooOooo! New gears for Miss Solstice Eve! Here's hoping they're just her style. But she looks to carry off almost any style flawlessly.

NEAT! Sounds like they waived the receipt requirement, which they certainly should on lifetime warranties. Please, let us know how that turns out?

WHAT!?! First candy? Now wine?!? Girl, you like living on the edge, dontcha? Yeah, zinfindel, or white, may "pass", but definitely no red!

I've never specifically asked my doc about a vodka and/or tequila chaser, but lost the {ahem} "discussion" with my ex-medical office assistant wife about it BIG TIME! Yeah, she is as overly cautious as I am underly- so. But she's kept us both in pretty good shape, so far, so I grin and bear it.

Yes! Yes, you accessorize very well.

Wishing you all the best and looking forward to your gig review and a simple "A-OK" on the procedure review. ;)

5. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Ugh! Vegemite is no joke! I do believe it to be a form of poison that the Aussies invented as a National Security Device that only natural born Aussies can pass, or would even want to! They play it up big to get tourists to try it in order to get rid of them/us.

But then, I kinda feel the same way about Spam in Hawaii! And they are NOT getting rid of me!!! In fact, they both sorta taste the same to me: like a salt block with a little bit of food coloring added.

6. Tough grid if I flunk the test. Ain't taking it three times in a year. Told another doctor Friday of my intentions for the wine and she laughed. It may have been another doctor who suggested it. No wait. I remember. It is a doctor's wife who recommends the wine.

Hard-pressed to recall the last time I ate Spam. The award for most terribad dinner presented to me this year igoes to Tater Tot casserole. The opportunity in the experience is a new phrase:

Those [basses / pickups / strings / amps / cabs] sound like Tater Tot casserole.
    Maybe it will be a new TB meme? Say it often enough .... Or it's more fun to begin every sentence with According to prophesy ....

According to prophesy I carried the night with my Fender Rumble.
    According to prophesy Leo Fender got it right the first time.
    According to prophesy "carrots" must be an option in every poll.

GonePlaid and ghostinthemach like this.
  7. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    This seems particularly appropriate at the moment-from my daughter: IMG_0021.

G-Dog likes this.
  8. Bravo.

Drinking the wine and presently in contemplation. Some people can be quite insistent.

Odin knows.

20181008_204818.

I think I'm a little tipsy

GonePlaid likes this.
  9. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    I thought of this back then, but . . . . What was that?? Did you see that? What WAS that?
    PSX_20181008_212211.

GonePlaid and Morrighan like this.
  10. Reading type backwards and upside down is part and parcel of old school typography ... There is a gentleman of long association who habitually used a couple stanzas of a Stephen Crane poem for his type tests. This is absolutely no different from a bassist who warms up with a couple bars of a Clarence Williams melody. Became something of a standing bet for anyone who correctly guessed the author.

Turned in my pica pole and E gauge for good. My current line of attention is considerably more engaging.

The wine is getting the better of me. But I need to drink it .... Well if that don't beat all. A totally legitimate excuse to finish my wine.

GonePlaid likes this.
  11. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    You tipsy? What about the dog?:rolleyes::sleep:.

GonePlaid likes this.
  12. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Gee, I'm gone for a day and look at this place! Cleanup crew...aisle 9 and step on it. Come prepped with HAZMAT protective gear 'cuz there'an abundance of colonoscopy talk going on! I'm tickled you guys feel comfy enough to talk about anything, but OMG! Can I get in line to talk about my lumbago? Hey, Doc Intrepid, can ya make a club call and take care of all these people? But I digress...

First up, before bed, I'd like to thank my wingman, the G-Dog, who gave a nice plug for The Club over in Rumbleland, and helped change the topic at the time. A class act, you are. Also, to Soul Reflection for his astute point made about the importance of "moving on." Life is too short to worry about the small things like whether you should eat hard candy right before a dissection. Heck, M, after that ordeal, it's no wonder ya hit the vino!

Morrighan, maybe it's been asked (and no, it has nothing to do with your innards), but what kind of strings are you running on Solstice Eve? I think you've told us, but with your new tuners, it made me wonder. Finally, do you know the song, "Get to Know Me Inside Out?" Just wonderin'...

That's it, for now. Anyone with a new combo out there, at the very least, any on the horizon? I'm thinkin', but that's about it for right now. My Markbass may be heading to free agent status by December. Bye!

SoulReflection, GonePlaid and G-Dog like this.
  13. You said "prepped". I see what you did there.

When the bass stork arrived, Solstice Eve came with D'Addario rounds. Uncertain which ones but they seemed to me nickels. And you know what? They sound pretty good on Solstice Eve. Ebony fretboard. Can I tell the difference between my ebony fretboard and my maple fretboard? Not on your life. May have been tempted to keep the rounds had I not set my sights on tapewounds. Didn't have the winding length to pre-order before the bass shipped. Stephen Chown said medium scale, and he is correct.

D'Addario tapes now grace Solstice Eve.

The setup with a floating bridge is far easier than I imagined. The only tool (apart from a functioning brain) required is a tape measure. The bass shipped with correct intonation but the string height at the 17th fret was practically Jamerson grade. Nailed the string height on first try - 5/64ths of an inch.

No feeler gauge necessary as the nut feels perfectly adjusted, The tapes fit the nut slots perfectly.

And the tone! This may be your father's Rivoli. Fatten it up a tad with the VT Bass and it's sweet.

iagtrplyr and GonePlaid like this.
  14. Too pooped to play tonight.

Nothing untoward discovered. Anesthesiologist asks what procedure I'm here for (fail safe system) and laughs when I reply "up periscope".

JakobT, mikeyjm2, iagtrplyr and 3 others like this.
  15. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    I see what you did there. ;) Sorry to hear that.

It can be a big disruption in your nutritional well being, which I see as a legitimate reason to pig out afterwards! But Mrs. Dog says that I'm way too adept at finding excuses for that, so she tries to quash even the most valid opportunities. (sigh)

Hail, the submariner! When I once answered that question with "colostomy" it caused a very unfunny stir. [gasp] And, since I had been nervously cutting up beforehand, no one believed it was an honest slip of the tongue; least of all Mrs. Dog. (oh, well)

Here's wishing you a swift and complete recovery, Morrighan.

16. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Not only did I pig out, it was on 'pig'(OK, bacon), eggs, grits, hashbrowns and toast.After the procedure I was asked how did I feel. My answer was "I feel more like I do now than I did before" and then I watch their faces as they try to figure that one out.

Morrighan likes this.
  17. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Thank you for the info. I've never used tapewounds, but have wondered how they feel. How close to flats are we talking? Nothing no-how would ever get me to take off me flats. THat's not even up for debate. Also curious about why you aren't hearing the diff between your maple and ebony boards? I owned a Les Paul guitar with an ebony fretboard and didn't find it too much different than my rosewood board, but I can easily hear (and feel, to my hands) the brightness difference between my Jazz bass' rosewood and my SX PJ maple fretboard. Am I crazy here, peoples? Maybe it's the combination of the guitar, the stings, and Venus in the seventh house of Uranus. Yet another rectal reference. Hmm...alliteration too.

Going to bed. 'Night all!

18. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    D'Addario nylon tapewounds are flats(as are 7ender). The 'coated' strings aren't flats,they're just coated-either with color or some other coating. I've used the D'Addario's on 3 of my basses at different times(I use nothing but flats)and was happy with them. Just trying some different strings for different things these days. Gonna put tapes back on my Ibanez semi-hollow when I replace the Chromes that are on there now.(SOON!) 0607181547-00.

iagtrplyr and Morrighan like this.
  19. Bonus points for wry. Not to be confused with rye. Two slices of rye that is especially good smeared with mustard, and knackwurst and Limburger cheese inside.

20. It's a boy!

20181010_133839.

Fender replaced my faulty Fender Koilcord with this spiffy tweed cable! :: snoopy dance ::

And for all of you playing at home, Solstice Eve is in the shop the next day or two as the factory tuning machines are replaced with Gotoh Res-o-lite 350s. Should be a direct drop in.

Guy doing the work says: you wanna keep these strings?

Yah. Brand new tapes. Tapes that don't wear out. Now it happens that I believe these D'Addario tapes are roundwounds under all that nylon. Of course what one believes may not correspond with what is. The tapes stay. And already scoped out the shop's selection of bass strings and saw no flats and no medium scale strings. Rotos, of course, everyone carries Rotos. And several D'Addario, and one set of DR.

Requested some Loctite on the nut on the jack as it came out once. Could have used nail polish to do the same job but don't really own the proper tool for the nut. And requested the screws on the truss rod cover be loosed a bit so I can access the truss rod. Can't get enough leverage with the dinky little screwdriver I have and the proper screwdriver in the Ernie Ball musician's tool kit is too large. The neck's straight, so nothing to do. Just in case....

The tapewounds feel great under my fingers. Because the actual sting gauge under the nylon is much lighter than the working gauge, the strings are super easy and super fun to bend. My (likely flawed) memory of Rotos under my fingers makes me grateful for the tapes.

With Solstice Eve in the shop, it's time to play My 'Ray again for a day or so. Started on Rotos when My 'Ray was new. Went to Dean Markley Super Rounds 'cause I was tired of strings that lost their magic in four hours. When I came back to the bass after alleged career &c the memory of playing stainless steel rounds grated on me. Hit on DR Neons!

Aw pink Neons on My 'Ray and you know what, they have a lot of bottom end! So my tonal tastes are for the bottom end now. Also my hearing's changed. It didn't get better .... Wow coated strings are fun to play, tapes are fun to play, heck, it's fun to play. It's more fun to play with others. And it's totally fun to play with others for others.

Thus Spake Zardoz
    (being an Eternal has a downside)

We all play that piece in school band cause 2001 A Space Odyssey made it popular. The guys - mostly guys - on the trumpets have the most fun. They're the rowdys in band, along with the drummers .... of course I have a gig bag for my bass because I carried that stupid saxophone in its hard case all over and I've had it with hard cases forever

The Gator gig bag went to Santa's Workshop too, that's how we get Solstice Eve there. And a fine cuppa coffee while I'm downtown.

- M

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018