1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Combo Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChefKen, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Say Whut.

Plug in My 'Ray for the first time since the stork delivered Solstice Eve. Play a few notes.

What is that?

:: turns the bass' treble knob all the way down ::

GonePlaid likes this.
  2. I forgot what nasty tones I can coax out of My 'Ray with some overdrive <evil grin> and with pink DR Neons too

Now I know how @JimmyM came to replace the driver on his BA108:
    AMPEG BA108 with EMINENCE ALPHA 8a

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    GonePlaid likes this.
  3. ghostinthemach

ghostinthemach Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    Ok, boredom is a dangerous thing as I was only window (tablet) shopping with an interest in a lightweight, small footprint, medium powered combo for some specific applications and I ‘tripped over’ this used at GC:

BG250-208 | Combo Amplifiers | Bass | TC Electronic | Categories | MUSIC Group - TC Electronic

I know it’s received mixed reviews and TC Electronic isn’t a fave on TB, but I think I bought it because it’s a platform I’ve been wanting to experiment with. One reviewer mentions replacing the stock woofers for improved performance.

I can always fall back on GC’s 45 day ca$h refund policy if it doesn’t pan out. Maybe all this combo-love is rubbing off on me. This will be the 4th with my inherited Rumble 60, my GC used-acquired Acoustic Control 126 and Ampeg B100 rocket.

I seem to recall $279.99+tax & shipping so about $333 and change total

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 11:52 AM
    GonePlaid and Morrighan like this.
  4. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Well, that's nice. But, as a Koil Kord replacement, I think they should have sent you the Jimi Hendrix™ Voodoo Child™ Cable in your choice of black, white or hazy purple!

Did they give you some flak about not having the original receipt, or something? Or did you not care for the curlycue cable?

GonePlaid likes this.
  5. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I have a set of those waiting in the wings. Not sure which bass I'm going to put them on just yet. Maybe on the 4003 Jetglo Ric...

GonePlaid likes this.
  6. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Honestly, M, that's one of the best things you've written in the last week! Ain't it the truth? Someone should make that phrase into a sig.

Speaking of cables, the Fender tweed you just received is my fave cable of the many cables I use or have used. The cable is so easy to wind/unwind because there's no kinking. I've had mine for years and have never heard so much as a crackle. Enjoy!

Morrighan and GonePlaid like this.
  7. The Fender tweed is a handsome cable indeed.

What I see is my inquiry with Fender's warranty department landed on the desk of Eduardo in customer relations. Sent him a thank you note email. While it would be very groovy to own a Hendrix cable in hazy purple, my thoughts turn to how purple would look with Solstice Eve. A white curly cable might be the ticket.

GonePlaid and G-Dog like this.
  8. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I have a coil cord in gold, which goes nicely with all of these: 0330181240-00. 0330181406-00.

9. If it were a proper sig it would read ... totally fun to play with others in exchange for money.

GonePlaid and ghostinthemach like this.
  10. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I may be getting a new combo! I'll know for sure soon. It will solve the issue of the speaker I bought and provide a very modular set up. Details to follow. . .

GonePlaid likes this.
  11. ^ Teh Besto!

GonePlaid and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  12. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    As I usually do, I’ve continued my research on the TC Elec BG250-208 combo while awaiting its arrival.

This thing is like a Swiss Army knife.

• 26 lbs plywood construction
    • 250 watts
    • 2 level input a/p
    • Programmable onboard effect/spectra-comp/overdrive
    • Speakon amp output cable hardwired (drive ext cabs)
    • Parallel speakon ext in/out on speaker cab (apparently it’s the sole model in its line with ext spkr capability)
    • intelligent eq (will be interesting to check out. Supposed to pick different frequencies on boost vs cut to optimize the few controls)
    • “High accuracy” tuner

I own an RH450 head and am fairly happy with it, but other more interesting amps get used more, lol.

I’ve wanted to experiment with a 2x8 cab for a long time and was shopping the Fender model at one point (I have an EUB I’d use it with as well as my bass guitars). They were $400 and rated around 250 watts. Here’s a used one. With shipping, it’s right about what I paid:

Fender Rumble 2x8 2x8" Bass Cabinet | LG

To me this amp is essentially a 2x8 cab with a whole bunch of toys and gadgets thrown in for less than what Fender was asking for a 2x8 cab just a few months ago.

If it works well as a 2x8 cab-win
    If it sounds good as a stand alone combo amp-win
    If the effects sound good-win and so on...

It appeared I couldn’t lose.
    I’ve seen where one reviewer swapped his drivers for a highly rated Eminence and upped the performance nicely.

So it’s due Wednesday.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:20 PM
  13. G-Dog

G-Dog

Feb 12, 2016
    Good on you, Ghosty! Sounds like quite a combo. I look forward to your review.

But that Fender Rumble 2x8" looks like a V2 model, which was discontinued almost 5 years ago, not a few months ago. I'm no expert on the V2 models, but I think those are NEO magnets on the speakers, for less weight, hence the original MSRP.

14. No Bob Dylan song ever started like this because that would be too ironic for even Bob Dylan.

A 2x8 combo is truly interesting, but that's from one who plays a 4x5 combo. Seems to me MB makes / made one too but rat fur is rat fur and never the twain shall meet.

:: reaches for trusty Popiel Pocket Fisherman ::
    let's see what kind of fish are biting today
    I know you know the answer here.

It's all about My 'Ray now as Solstice Eve is still at Santa's Workshop for new tuning machines. And many observations in this.

A StingRay is an amazing instrument. This is no great shock to anyone who has ever listened to those who play one.
    Takes me a couple hours play to reorient to full scale. Lots of fret rattle for a bit. It's been months since I played My 'Ray. It shows.
    The pink DR Neons are a blast to play. Wondering if the Age Of Neon has passed with the Age Of Velvet Elvis Posters. And inflatable chairs. Futuristic! Bet DR Black Beauties would really sing. Wonder what La Bella White Tapes would do .... it's the TB symptom of reading the Strings Forum too often.
    Playing the tapes feels like it's made me sloppy with the rounds.
    My 'Ray needs professional attention. The jack needs cleaning. The output is much too low. Possibly it's because the pickup is too far away. A possibility if the height adjustment is through the miracle of foam. Because if that's what makes the height adjustment go (instead of springs), the foam is probably petrified by now. Alternately, there may be something else going on.
    ^ Bullet lists are the unholy spawn of the unwanted child of an unwed mother whose surname is probably Plantagenet, so ain't no bullets here ^

Except there's a Bullet coily cable on its way. Really like the idea of the big loopy cable, so bit the bullet. In white, because

15. Over next door at the Looking for a cheap, light amp thread there's a lot of talk about the Vox VX50 bass amp. Fifty watts, nine pounds. And an eight inch driver ....

G-Dog, GonePlaid and ghostinthemach like this.
  16. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    That’s where I started, then decided to takes me chances on the TC Electronic unit instead. Two eights and 5 times the wattage in essentially the same footprint.
    I actually intend to show up at my open-mic and acoustic trio gigs with this amp. The Vox wouldn’t offer as serious an image, I’m afraid.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    Morrighan and GonePlaid like this.
  17. ^ And a great deal more financially digestible than a Markbass 802.

Totally get what you're saying about stage presence. And were a MB 802 to magically fall into my hands, would be personally necessary to do something about the yellow ....

18. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Semi-random pic of 3/4 our group at Saturday night's American Legion gig. No lighting in band 'area', 1 guitarist out of view to right/stage left. Rumble 200c over 112 cab on 'Ampwedge'. IMG_3037.JPG

19. OldFunBass

OldFunBass

Nov 5, 2016
    Florida
    Looks Good!
    What is the finish on your guitar player's guitar? Looks pretty funky in this pic, but might just be bleed over from you guy's shirts :thumbsup:

GonePlaid likes this.
  20. GonePlaid

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    The magic of Velcrotm. The 'Aloha' shirts are our standard "uniform".