The CORT Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    No, this is an older (2000 I think) model with the two-piece bridge. It is a pain to intonate, but the way the saddles are designed really make the strings ring.
    lrhLzLf.jpg

Yahboy, Eli_Kyiv and Rilence like this.
  2. Boris3443

Boris3443

Oct 25, 2020
    Hello there! I wrote about my Cort A5 Custom Z bass guitar in a previous post on the last page.
    Now I compare my Ibanez sr30th4Ii and cort a5 custom z and cort is noticeably quieter.
    With the same position of the gain handle on the audio interface on ibanez, I have a level of -12, and on cort about -21.
    When I try to make the level the same, high-frequency noises immediately appear on cort.
    I don't understand what's going on, it seems that Cort is better on paper, but Ibanez sounds noticeably better. And even with new strings on Cort everything sounds not so deep and with a lot of noise, on ibanez with three-year-old strings everything is deep and fat. I was a little upset, because it was inexpensive and in excellent condition, but I didn't really like the sound.

Yahboy likes this.
  3. Rilence

Rilence

Jan 20, 2019
    Geelong AU
    I have a Cort A5 Plus SCMS with Bart Mk1 electronics/pups, and an Ibby SR2600 with Nordy Big Singles & Ibby electronics. The Ibby is definitely 'louder' with somewhat similar volume/settings on both instruments & amp, especially active.

I put it down to the Nordy pups on the Ibanez but also their pre-amp; it's pretty loud, seems to add a touch of top end (even flat) which probably makes it seem louder still.

Am I motivated enough to measure the difference/put actual numbers on it ? Nah. I'm just happy to put it down to they're two completely different instruments with different traits which is why I have both of them :) It wouldn't really be easy to do an apples to apples comparison between them anyway given the big difference in the pups, particularly.

Aidil and Boris3443 like this.
  4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Then aparently you're not satisfied with Cort's Bart MK1 preamp. Upgrade it to Bart USA preamp so it'll be on par with the USA Bart MK5CBC pickups or any other pre which meets to your liking.

See my post #588.

Rilence and Boris3443 like this.
  5. Rilence

Rilence

Jan 20, 2019
    Geelong AU
    Thanks Aidil

Might just have to do that soon :)

6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Sorry about this, Rilence. Somehow I missed quote your post when posting my last post, which meant for Borris3443's. But, it's now fixed.

Rilence likes this.
  7. Rilence

Rilence

Jan 20, 2019
    Geelong AU
    No worries, all good ;-)

8. Boris3443

Boris3443

Oct 25, 2020
    Yes, I remember your message. So I thought about it. Either the guitar preamp is not very good, or the amplifier is in the audio interface. just look, it's not exactly different in sound, it's more noisy and less rich in timbre. (at first I thought maybe it was the battery, but it wasn't)
    Now I wonder if these pickups are made in the US or not. I certainly didn't like the preamp. (maybe I'm not used to the new sound yet)

9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I'd say it's good to have varieties and that you know all your instruments.

I've upgraded MK1 pickups to USA counterparts on a couple of basses, but on one particular bass I ended up reverting the pickups back to the MK1s since the bass didn't sound the way I had expected with the upgraded pickups.

Rilence likes this.
  10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The US Bart 3 band NTNB preamp I use on my previous MIK ibby SR705 has gain control. Pair with Quad coil US Original Deep voice P2 soapar , the bass tone really thick, deep and focus.

Rilence likes this.
  11. Boris3443

Boris3443

Oct 25, 2020
    Hello, I think about replacing the built-in bartolini mk1 preamp on my cort a5 custom z with Aguilar obp 3, one of the problems of the current preamp is the low signal level. Does this mean the signal level will not change? the second problem is that I don't like the tone of this preamp and the third is the noise in the treble boost.
    As far as I understand, there is no gain control in obp 3, so I should look towards another premp?

People on this forum advise many different preamp models, but in our country they are not at all, I found only Aguilar. what do you think about Aguilar?

12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    How about Seymour Duncan, EMG or Darkglass ?

Boris3443 likes this.
  13. Boris3443

Boris3443

Oct 25, 2020
    Hello there! Sorry for the late response, I want to share what I did: I put a replica of aguilar obp 3. Our Russian craftsman makes replicas of this model according to the same scheme on improved components, for example, on a less noisy chip (as he says). The instrument has been changed, I really enjoy the preamp, and it gives a lot of sound variations.
    Bass control: plus/minus 18 dB @ 40 Hz
    Mid control: plus/minus 16 dB @ 400Hz or 800 Hz
    Treble control: plus/minus 16 dB @ 6.5 KHz
    a2NdxGDiDDc.jpg 65Zpma-Q5Js.jpg Pm4rkqVdZZM.jpg
    He also has a few other interesting preamps (for example this model on photo with frequency selection for each knob)
    5dbXTQimxxc.jpg

14. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Both look nice, the blue one has nicer wood grain but heavier , weight around 9.7lbs.

-234546033.png 1047103598.png -734539941.png 1290766992.png

aus_bass, Robertillo and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  15. Amigoz2k60

Amigoz2k60

Dec 12, 2020
    Cairo Egypt
    Hello Boris : would you please advice me to take or leave a new A4 custom z with only a wood ding in the back otherwise it is ok for 480$ ( in my country the B4 + ash body = 450 $ ) Thanks . 2-is it comes with a gig bag ,adjusting tools , cataloge ?

Boris3443 likes this.
  16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I bring the Amber gb74JJ home.

-1201860920.png

17. Boris3443

Boris3443

Oct 25, 2020
    Hello, I don't even know what to advise you.
    In Russia, new Cort models cost about $ 800, which is quite a lot for me, I managed to find a new Cort A5 Custom Z for ~ $ 380 (but this is luck, even in the secondary market they cost more). Probably because the guitar was released in 2012 and was bought for the dollar\ruble exchange rate of that time.
    I spent about $15 more on setting up the guitar and $70 on a new preamp (I sold the old one for $55). After all this, I can say that the guitar for your money sounds great.
    So I think that the Cort A4 for $ 450 will be a good purchase, the main thing is that the guitar does not have critical damage, cracks, etc.

Eli_Kyiv likes this.
  18. Amigoz2k60

Amigoz2k60

Dec 12, 2020
    Cairo Egypt
    Thanks Boris for the good opinion that was really helpful and I think I will go and get the guitar ❤

19. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The GB74JJ play very well and nice balance while hang on my shoulder.
    Nice Jbass tone with stock string but become better and easy frettting/plucking after swap with Dunlop SBN40-100. Will compare to my buddy Fender Perfomer J soon since is he looking for Active J.

YAP_7975m.jpg YAP_7927.JPG YAP_7938.JPG YAP_7961.JPG

TCaetano, gg22, BassmanM and 4 others like this.
  20. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Cort GB74JJ meet Fender Perfomer J update.

Fender Perfomer J feel very solid in hand, but GB74JJ not far behind. The Perfomer J neck has classic Slim J neck feel along with smooth feel from low to high, but the GB74JJ neck has a tiny hump feel on neck which located under first to 2nd fret (Oh, Cortex QC....). But not notable on my left hand thumb which the hump just located on D/G string side.
    The maple fretboard on Perfomer J has nicer wood grain and look pretty cool with Satin Seafoam Green body.
    The GB74JJ look cool too, the "Poorman Sadowsky MV" cool !

Fender Perfomer J are lighter which just weight 8.3lbs, but notable a bit neck dive. I took out the Fender lightweight G string tuning post and decide to compare it weight to hipshot tuning post from GB74JJ, sadly i dint have backery-use weight scale around. But roughly weight by hand, the Hipshot are lighter. Both tuning post work very well, smooth to turn and solid build.

The most notable different on both bass are neck joint craft , the Fender ULtra bass/ Pro II / USA Dimension bass-like scruplted neck joint and deeper horn cutting on GB74JJ just make my buddy cant wait to bring the new GB74JJ home. And "Wow, wow, wow.... and Wow" from his mouth.

Both bass also sound different even with same string set loaded ~ Dunlop SBN40-100

On my Only fingerstyle Man hand, the Yosemite J pup set on Perfomer J has classic warmth sound along with extra meaty low MID voice which pretty similar to PV64J but on bright voicing side . She also has more output than Split Alnico V J pup on GB74JJ with same pickups height setting.
    Meanwhile the GB74JJ sound more forward to brighter side but NO HARSH on both Passive and Active mode (flat EQ). The upper MID and Treble voice are notable ring cleaner and focus. She just lacking some extra meaty LOW MID voice found on the Perfomer J. Actually the Low MID are already nice on it, just the Upper mid voice too SHINE.

Meanwhile , on my buddy Funky-Slap hand, the Game change! The GB74JJ become a nice Funk machine after some Bass EQ and Character knob adjust (on tech 21 VT200 combo) than his Perfomer J. He love that sound and keep the smilling face while slapping...... but i just worry his aggressive slapping skill on my GB74JJ's fret wear.....
    The humcancelling split J pup on GB74JJ also the selling point for him (ofcause for me too).

After this side by side compare and test drive, sure he will go to get a GB74JJ soon. For me , should i get another GB74JJ and a set of Fender Yosemite J pup ? or...... install a set of EB 2814 on GB74JJ first ?

Thank for reading and Wish you guys a Happy New Year !!!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021