The CORT Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    Hi, Ive owned a few Corts in the past and just ordered a Rithmic V. I've only heard good things about them but never played one. Anybody have experience with one?

Oh, and I'm hoping I can be part of the club now

generalduncan likes this.
  2. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    Hi! reviving an old post... I just bought a Rithmic V and was curious if 1. you still have the bass this post is about, and 2. what you think.

Thanks in advance for any info

3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Yes, the neck are very sensitive even minor temperature change. Since i really like how the bass play and sound, i dint mind check and adjust the neck each time before i play it.

Aras likes this.
  4. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    I wonder is it due to the insufficiently thickness of the neck or too soft wood

Yahboy likes this.
  5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I suspect the neck wood are still green.The Roasted maple neck on gb64jj able free from neck stable issue.

Karli and Aras like this.
  6. Four of the basses I recently bought are new old stock, meaning they have been stored for at least 7-8 years in the warehouse before being sold to me. I expect the woods to be completely aged by now. I like buying NOS just for this aspect.

7. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    generalduncan and tubatodd like this.
  8. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Today i came to my friend, he works in music store. I helped him to sort new instruments. From 7 Corts, new, from the box, we found Cort Active V bass with warped neck and one electric guitar, where was a bump on a neck, near 3rd fret, where neck is glued with a head. Both with out finish on necks. So yes-roasted or laminated

Yahboy likes this.
  9. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    You know, I've been playing bass for 30 yrs. and this is the first time I have heard the age of the neck improving stability. It makes sense, I guess I've only heard it mentioned referring to acoustic guitar tone

Maybe after 35 years I won't be a newbie...?

This is bad news, I feel like even though Cort has been making a good share of our favorite bass brands for years, that have only been getting recognition for quality instruments as of recently.

@Yahboy How besides the neck stability, how is the 'fit and finish" on your 74JJ?

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  10. I heard this in the form of “the older the instrument the better the wood condition” and valid for all wooden instruments, not specifically for the neck but also the body. There may be a point in there but also it could be wrong altogether. I’m not depending on this idea like a scientific fact. It just makes sense to me and it is just something I heard from musicians around. You know, aged and stabilized like those 70’s relic Fenders. Compared to newly produced instruments of course.

Karli and Jon Draffan like this.
  11. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    I think that make sense because if nothing happens with the neck through those years, then we could suggest that it is stable and wood is nice

12. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    On electric instruments it takes wood in body few generations of mankind to dry under all this paint and finish i think. But necks are not so heavy layered, this is why they tend to bend with temperature changes. So if old neck is straight and truss rod has some free space for tightness - this neck will be ok in future

generalduncan and Jon Draffan like this.
  13. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    NBD!! That contour ‘color clash’ isn’t really that bad if you’re not looking at the bass straight on and can see that color covers the back and (almost blocky) sides. Also the much disliked gold hardware has not affected my playing at all. I’m still learning this bass, but it’s already clear that this was a very intentional design.
    1CAF20EB-BDE1-47FE-817B-16E6AC2A47D0.jpeg

Karli, TCaetano, Yahboy and 4 others like this.
  14. Karli

Karli

Jul 21, 2017
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Dear Cort Players ;),

I am looking at a Cort B4 FL Bass. I found some Threads here on tb. Just wanned to check, if anyone has actually something bad to say about that bass. I love the wenge-neck. But am not sure about the markbass pre-amp. Any suggestions?

Cheers
    KARLI

15. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Here is mine. It is an older model (2000 I think), so it has the Bartolini pre-amp instead of the Markbass one. But I have seen reviews of the newer B4FL and they are favorable. The neck is amazing!
    kuHm0V3.jpg

16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    That is weird Cort list ceramic magnet on VTB-ST jazz pup. I take out the stock pup on my GB74jj and they are alnico V humcancelling split coil jazz set.

17. HorusLupercal

HorusLupercal

Mar 18, 2021
    Hello Cort owners, I like Artisan Series Corts:
    C6DC10AC-BD18-4156-89DF-95AF223F66FF.jpeg
    Does anyone know if Hipshot makes a 5-string bridge that has the same screw config as the stock on a C5 Plus? I want to make it more pretty and black hardware is too low key.

Attached Files:

Yahboy, Karli, MonetBass and 3 others like this.
  18. I was reading through old posts and it appears you didn't get an answer about your Laguna Ocean. They are indeed Corts. Guitar Center commissioned Cort to build their "house" brand, Laguna guitars and basses. The Ocean TB70 (4 string) or TB5 (five string) are Cort A4s and A5s with different head stocks. The rest of them are essentially the same as the corresponding Corts. I have a Laguna Ocean TB4 that I love. I recently bought a used A4 off Reverb that I intend to hot rod as my Laguna is in very nice original shape. The were sold between about 2008 and 2010.

Eli_Kyiv likes this.
  19. IMG_1031.jpg IMG_1030.jpg Hey all, I have what I believe is an '09 Laguna Ocean TB70 which is an A4 with a different headstock. I got it years ago thinking it would be a good "entry level" unit with a lot of features for the price. Once I got serious I figured I'd go out and get a proper P or J bass. Well, I got serious enough to start looking at Fenders and, after paying a few, I found they were no better than my trusty Laguna Cort. So I went out and bought a used A4 on Reverb. Question: how can I date these units. The A4 carries a serial number 20223133. The TB70, 070756036.

20. Also, the A4 need a set up and I'm thinking of hot rodding it while it's in the shop. Any suggestions?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021