The CORT Club (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. CJ85

CJ85

Nov 3, 2020
    Just got a 2000 Cort A4 Artisan. Bart MK1's and I think it has the Bart preamp too? Only issues I have was having to replace pot knobs, and there is a breakdown somewhere electronically. Neck pup sounds great, bridge pickup has nothing, like, dead. IMG_20201230_154914.jpg IMG_20201230_154904.jpg

MonetBass and Yahboy like this.
  2. ronald cardenas

ronald cardenas

Jul 3, 2016
    Please can somebody tell me what is the value of the volume pot for the A6 cort with mk1 pickups. And preamp? 250k or 500k?... And the same question for the A6 Z CUSTOM with bartolini USA custom pickups and mk1 preamp?

BassmanM likes this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Cort A6 Plus FMMH | Artisan Series Electric Bass

Download the wiring diagram.

ronald cardenas likes this.
  4. ronald cardenas

ronald cardenas

Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks for the link but my problem is because this schematic from Cort page say 500k for volume... But i have this exact A6 model with mk1 pickups and mk1 preamp... And checking my bass say 250k for valume.... I need compare with others serie A model owners.... Thanks

Yahboy likes this.
  5. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I recall that most bass come with Humbucker/soapar pickups and onboard preamp use 500k volume pot.

FFFH242, ronald cardenas and Rilence like this.
  6. CJ85

CJ85

Nov 3, 2020
    Nobody chimed in, which is fine. But I just wanted to say the set up fixed my "electronics problem". Turn out, the bridge pickup was way too low so it wasn't picking up the strings. New piece of foam and it sounds fantastic. I will add, I've read a lot of people saying the MK1's aren't very good. I'm just running through an AMPEG BA110 and personally it sounds badass to me.

Amigoz2k60 and Eli_Kyiv like this.
  7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008

Eli_Kyiv likes this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Just like my previous Cort Arona IV and Action DLX V, same issue happended on new GB74JJ ~ Unstable neck!

Even not as serious like them, but still troble me since i prefer low action and .010 neck relift.

I think the Hard Canadian Maple not as hard and rock steady as describe on Cort website.

No neck issue on Artisan B5 which has 5 pcs bubinga/mahogany neck. Will give a look on GB64JJ which has Roasted neck could be more stable and keep the neck relift well when meet temperature/humid change.

9. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Hey guys! What can you tell about GB54jj? How is it in compare with MIM Fender Player? Quality and sound?

10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    The neck feel are just same as both GB74JJ and 64JJ, a bit thicker and rounder than Fender Jazz neck.
    Quality are great on both GB74JJ and 64JJ , but i am not familiar with 54JJ.
    From spec , both 64JJ and 54JJ quite similar except pickups (hum cancelling on 64JJ / single coil on 54 jj ), electronic (active/passive+2band EQ on 64JJ / VVT passive on 54jj )and neck process (roasted neck on 64JJ / regular maple neck on 54jj).

The jazz tone on GB74JJ are different than Player Jazz, Player J has familiar Jazz bass tone meanwhile GB74JJ has more brilliant sound and more upper MID voice pressent.

Aras likes this.
  11. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Thanks!

12. Hi, Cort clubbers! I got this beauty today as new old stock. This Cort GB5 Custom is made in January 2014 and all I can say it looks fabulous. I always wanted a boutique-looking five string bass. So what can be more boutique looking than spalted maple, I thought. My brother has a 2004 Cort A5, I already have two Ibanez SRs made by Cort so I'm quite familiar with the end products. It needs some tinkering with the action for now but the sound is just what I was missing. Not a full jazz, not a lonesome humbucker. Basslines Quarter Pounders are killing. Hard case is a surprise addition.

What do you think? Can I get a number please?
    20210412_130727.jpg 20210412_130647.jpg 20210412_130750.jpg 20210412_130657.jpg 20210412_130919.jpg 20210412_130555.jpg

13. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    The Gene Deer Band
    That's purdy!

14. Hello Corters! I’m looking for info or help. I’ve got a C4H bass that needs a new neck. Anyone out there selling a neck or know where I can find one? I’ve searched all the regular avenues (reverb, eBay etc.) but have come up empty.

Any help would be appreciated.
    TIA

15. tubatodd

tubatodd Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    I've actually gotten responses when I've contacted Cort's support via email. Might be worth a try.

16. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    9727B483-C565-4824-BF7D-C32C018ADE1B.jpeg Huh. Cort club. Should have looked, I’ve only been here since 2015. Anyway, I’ve got 4.

(2) year 2000
    (1) year 2002
    (1) year 2008

All obviously fretless. All had the active electronics removed and rewired using the stock MKI pickups, which are much better than most people give them credit for, actually quite nice without the active tone module. Also plugged and refinished them. I gig with these and they are just great. Cort basses are the most underrated I have ever come across. Consistently great.

17. Thanks for the tip. I’m going to do that.

18. Jacko13

Jacko13

Jul 24, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I picked up a used GB54JJ (Ash) the other day. It was a pure impulse buy, almost new and the price was very reasonable. After spending a few days cleaning and setting up the bass I can state these are every bit as good as a MIM Fender bass. The neck is closer to a 70's jazz profile narrow but chunky (and fast). All things considered, I would state the quality is similar and in some cases better, aside from the pots/wiring which I feel Fender MIM would be better (but that is the easiest and cheapest thing to address in a guitar). Sound / tone is highly subjective. I am very pleased with the passive Cort tone. It produces a typical/expected jazz bass tone, warm and punchy. I don't feel the need to swap pickups. Keep in mind that that a Cort will not hold its value, even over time. The playability of my Cort is just as good as any of my 3k basses. They did a very smart neck joint design with carved asymmetrical pocket - similar to a Fender Deluxe. I would not have bought this bass if it didn't have this as I personally feel the standard 4 bolt symmetrical neck plate is a massive design flaw (I'll save that for a different thread). Cort could have make a lot of 'short cuts' but they didn't. You get a lot of bass for not a lot of money...

Aras and tubatodd like this.
  19. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    Very interesting, thanks!

20. Aras

Aras

Jun 19, 2015
    Russia, Moscow
    BTW, Yahboy how is the neck on your GB? Still unstable?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021