The Grabber is back! : Gibson Grabber II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elplatanazo87, Feb 18, 2009.

1. yeah i know,no wonder alot of people hate them.i wouldn't blame anyone for hating their prices.who wouldnt?

2. Wafoleri

Wafoleri

Jan 15, 2008
    Greensburg, Pa
    I don't either, expecially when a vintage grabber can be had for under half that price.

3. yup theres like 3 or 4 on ebay right now for $800-1100

4. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Hm, it's nice but not $3000 nice... I was hoping for more of $600 range.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It's still a $400-600 bass in my books. Was not a great success when it came out. Quite a marginal bass compared to everything else in the market at the time.

Fast forward to today. Sadowsky Metros starting at $2100 or a Gibson Grabber at $3200.

REALLY tough choice.

Gibson should pay attention to market place.

:rolleyes:

So...if you buy one today and decide in a year to unload it, how much could you sell it for? You would take a bath on it, assuming you sold it. You would easily lose $1500-2000.

6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I always laugh when I see reissues costing more than the original.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    They are making only 350 of them, so hurry.

8. crack-boom

crack-boom

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    i want one! hahaha its awesome! anyone got the spare money for a broke ass student? haha

9. I am not sure about the tonal variation on these. Thought the original Grabber had the pick up sliding further towards the bridge (a la music man) as a variation. This ones a p pick up and maybe a deeper p bass sound...don't get it.

10. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    It looks very similar to the grabber I used to own.

The Grabber was always a p-bass sounding instrument. The one problem I had with the Grabber was a thin tone.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I had an original and always thought the sliding pickup concept was pretty trick but that's about it, the bass was never a real player.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Seems to me like Gibson needs something new if they want to entice a lot of buyers. 350 basses reissued and costing something like $3.2k US? Just wow.

Perhaps they were going to build a lot more, but cut it short due to the recession, and called it a special run. In any case, the cost reflects the effect of building only a few.

How about a long scale hollowbody? I'm thinking a 35" scale EB-2 with darkstars kind of critter. Nah, they'd never do it....

13. For 3,192 MSRP, that Grabber is not for me

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The price seems very high for a bass that seems rather simple and off the peg.
    otherwise I'd like.

15. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It's funny with Gibson. They never seemed to crack the bass market in a big way. The T-bird is a star in my books. I had one way way back and loved it. Everything else just seemed to fall flat. On the guitar side, no question they are really good.

I don't think I'm alone on this either. I wonder how they could make a big impression. Maybe they should partner with a luthier for a one off design. Use the Pinninfarina or Bertone concept of these design houses designing cars for manufacturers.

I look at the Grabber and remember as as beeing a $350 usde beass of so so value at a time when used 70's precisions were selling for $500. Fast forward to 70's precisions selling for $1800 and up and I still consider Grabbers to be a $350 bass.

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Too bad they are so expensive.

I would buy one if they hit the street for $100-1500, but a $3k MSRP? Wow. Crazy since an original '70's Grabber can still be found for around $1k.

17. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    This shows once again,that while Gibson occasionally comes up with some cool ideas,They still totally miss the point when it comes to pricing. How many people,especially in this economy,are going to lay dow a couple grand on one of these. Another great idea that will quietly fade away into obscurity. Speaking of which,does anyone remember the EB 750 and EB 650 hollowbody basses that Gibson made in the nineties for about a month maybe? They were incredilble instruments,just priced far too expensive for Joe Bass player to buy. They didn't make many,I would love to find one today,though I doubt I still could afford one. Maybe one day...

18. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I kinda expected Gibson to do this at some point. I think it looks great. I agree with everyone else though that the price is crazy.

19. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    I bought one in '73 brand new----It cost about $295 if I remember right!

20. Ephminus

Ephminus

Nov 6, 2008
    You are all too busy complaining about the price and not thinking ahead.
    Two words.
    Epiphone Grabber.

Gibson has to do something to compete with Fender and Squier.
    This is the next logical step.
    They create a buzz about reissue models...then come out with the affordable versions via Epiphone.

Mark my words.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021