The Grabber is back! : Gibson Grabber II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elplatanazo87, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Is there much difference in the tone when the pickup is slid to it's extremes? I'm not sure I'm sold on the sliding mechanism and have to wonder if 2 pickups wouldn't have been a better design (talking about from the original design, I realize this is a reissue of the original).

2. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That price is seriously messed up. There is nothing radically upscale in parts or build quality there. The used/vintage market doesn't warrant a reissue price being that high. Neither does the new market.

"Neat" I guess, but a dumb move in terms of pricepoint.

Now, having said all that, if they'd make a G3 reissue, and "street it" at something equal to a Lakland Skyline/G&L Tribute pricepoint, they'd get me into the store to try one.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Huh? You thinking about an Epiphone or something? The Gibson in the first link has the same sliding pickup as the original 70s model.

At the time (I was pre-teen in the 70s so take my opinion as you will) I considered the Grabber to be a joke. The sliding pickup seemed like a silly gimmick that woud do hardly anything tonewise - I don't know how it really worked.

In the 70s the Grabber was about the price of a Fender P bass IIRC. Maybe they are pricing it to compete with Fender Custom Shop reissues today. If it is made with the kind of care and quality materials that is typical for modern day high end USA Gibson, and comparable to the Fender Custom Shop, then the MSRP is just fine. It will also mean that these will be considerably better than the original 70s basses on average.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Agreed. The G3 is IMO a much better bass than the Grabber and would be a much more useful reissue.

5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    $3000? ... And I thought that Rickenbackers were expensive ...

6. Tusknia

Tusknia

Jul 8, 2008
    Sussex, UK
    *Still waiting for RD Artist reissue*

7. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Considering the ORIGINAL Grabber was $350.00 new...I've got one(Old One). It's nothing special.:rollno:

8. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    The Grabber is back !!!

I didn't know anyone missed it? Seriously this was $200 of my worst spent money ever back in the day... Heavy. muddy, clumsy...nothing I ever wanted in a base...
    And for $3k you can get a helluva bass

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

I gigged exlusively with a G3 for a couple of years. Great bass and much better sounding than the Grabber (and less flaky electronics - the sliding PU was a pain).

10. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Are there really 350 Kiss tribute bands out there? :eek:

:bag:

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Agreed that the G3 would have been a better reissue. I love mine and the tone is very unique.

Did someone in the Gibson research department screw up? I don't remember the grabbers having a 3 point bridge (maybe in the beginning?) or a set neck (was always a bolt on). Too bad they do a maple fretboard.

Either way, this will only motivate collectors if anyone. Probably the reason for the limited run.

12. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    Is the stuff they're on at Gibson legal? $3192 MSRP for that?

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    The most unpleasant bass tone that I have ever seen in concert was Greg Lake playing a Grabber.

15. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    so they can stick chrome pickup covers on a ludicrous reissue, but they can't stick em on their Thunderbirds? Come on, Gibson...

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Thinking about it now, the three point bridge is probably a money saving issue. They can reuse parts from the eb basses. The description says its based on the 75 to 78 years (when my G3 was made) and I know at that time they came stock with a string through fender style bridge that had a chrome cover.

The hard part about a reissue of the G3 instead of the grabber would be getting a new model pickup that would sound like the originals. The grabber they can use humbuckers they already make.

17. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

Funny I though he used a Ripper?

18. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

The original Grabber bridge was horrible and cheap. They usually go bad, so the three point is better and in line with the old family.

The TB pickups are great pickups.

19. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Over priced. No one is seriously going to buy that thing for even 2000. I'd pay 850 for it

20. countshockula

countshockula

Feb 22, 2008
    +1

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021