The Grabber is back! : Gibson Grabber II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by elplatanazo87, Feb 18, 2009.

1. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    ...unless the street is gonna be 1/2 of that, then I'd say "No"

2. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    ...oh yeah I think the Ripper was/is way cooler, including the headstock but especially the pups- I've got my eye on a 70's all natch, maple board, black headstock, light as sin & plays like no Grabber I've ever felt (good friend had one back in HS).

3. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    COOL!!! Sucks about the price though. Hopefully a Ripper II is not too far behind!

4. Okkinetic

Okkinetic

Apr 15, 2008
    Buffalo, New York
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man
    Do they really think anyone will buy this when they could just get a real vintage one for cheaper?

I haven't heard this model but I would be willing to bet the originals sound way better.

5. yeah it would be awsome,but just think of the prices.:eyebrow:

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Three grand for a Grabber? They're wasting their time. A G at most for an instrument like this.

7. Fred19137

Fred19137

Jan 23, 2009
    active musician
    everyone has got their own sense of style and I respect that but this bass is almost as bad as the chick modeling the bass on ebay.

8. That is entirely too much money for a black and chromed version oneo f hte most boring looking basses I have ever seen. NOt good, not bad, but just.....not much of anything to me. 3K is far to much other gear I would much rather have.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I think at that price point limited run means less than 10!:D

10. agreed
    i might be persuaded into buying the epiphone variation of this if it was of a similar price to their other basses, cuz i actually like the look of it.. (especially in sunburst..)

not likely, i'm fairly sure that fender has a copywright on their head stock design. besides there's no way gibson would want to a)make a bass that uses parts from a competitors product b)make a bass they never made in the first place, remember john's fenderbirds were all custom made for/by him.

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Should I feel like playing some 90's Green Day ? Man a vintage bass will be much cheaper then a new one !

12. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Call me strange, but I liked the Grabber better than the Ripper. And, yes I owned the original Grabber. I bought one new, when they first came out. :) I sold it in 78. :scowl:

13. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Did Mike Dirnt and Krist Noveselic actually play Grabbers?? I thought they both played Rippers.

14. dirnt played a G3. no idea what noveselic played.

15. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Noveselic played a Ripper, a Victory, and a RD.

16. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    The Green Day "Basket Case" song played Live at Woodstock 1994 in the Youtube video looks like a Grabber to me. The resolution on my PC monitor is crap though. Maybe someone could check.

17. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    wowzzzzer...my 3g's will stay in my pocket

18. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Wayyyy overpriced.

I wouldn't buy one anyway, I've played completely original Grabbers and Rippers, and to me they were two of the most uncomfortable basses to play ever, not to mention that they sounded like ass.

19. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Thump Music
    There's a first time for everything!! :smug:

20. JacobE

JacobE

Jul 19, 2008
    they should make epiphone ones in hope that i can one day afford it

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021