The Mediocre Builders Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MirandM, Apr 30, 2021.

1. enzodm

enzodm

Mar 3, 2016
    Italy
    We could vote to expel all those showing off more than mediocre results :)

2. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    you can't do that:jawdrop: I'd have nowhere to go.:blackeye::nailbiting: Besides, I wasn't always any good.
    Please read this post from May 7th.
    This explains why all builders are welcome here.

RodRy and enzodm like this.
  3. MirandM

MirandM Married to my bass. Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Very true

bass theory and RodRy like this.
  4. enzodm

enzodm

Mar 3, 2016
    Italy
    It was a joke, of course. By the way, my blue CovidBass is made sandwich-style, with cheap laminated residuals I had around :) . Looking at the picture, I didn't remember I even "chambered" it. If you can call "chambers" those crooked wounds...

IMG_5638.JPG

Attached Files:

MirandM, bass theory and RodRy like this.
  5. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    lol when i looked at that pic, my first thought was "OMG he stole my floating bass templates".

enzodm, MirandM and markwrob like this.
  6. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Those posts are exactly why I started this thread, I really enjoy seeing members posting images of their work, however mediocre or bad it may look to you, I find them very stimulating for anyone interested in doing something like building, modifying or whatever. You can build a functional bass from whatever you have laying around, and this just proves it! GREAT!

enzodm and RodRy like this.
  7. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Nofretbacker project

Enlargement of the neck pup cavity. The new pickguard screw holes are also marked. This will ensure the right placement of the neck pup, that is, this time correctly centered. I'll probably change the toaster for a high gain one I still have in my box.

IMG_20210924_172218_s.jpg

Note the lovely grain of the veneer on the neck. It already had it's layers of pu done, result is very smooth.
    I ordered some binding to glue on the sides as they are too rough and ugly to leave like this.
    Will need some dremel work though.
    I finished the drilling of the new pickguard screw holes and remounted the bridge at it's new 33.25" scale position.
    Still need to rewire the whole thing to Ric standard. I'll probably skip the stereo option, I never use it so there's really not much sense into spending $ on the special switchcraft mono jack.
    Slowly getting there.

markwrob, RodRy, BassikBrad and 3 others like this.
  8. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    I could use your advice.
    I have been thinking..... (always a bad sign).... that i could create my own custom electronics for a bass or guitars. Some of you are probably familiar with EMG solderless (plug in) systems. they work great and are easy to assemble, and are high quality. But there are times that EMG pickups would not be my first choice. Like hot rails or single coils. the only way EMG sells those is as a pickguard assembly. Well I have custom wooden pickguards to fit the shapes of my instruments.

Has anyone ever tried to do something similar to the EMG system using USB connectors? there are inexpensive kits available to make your own USB connectors (soldering terminals to build).
    I think by pre-fitting the parts, using USB A male connectors for all output functions and USB A female for input functions soldered to each potentiometer, pickup, switch and plug a fully interchangeable system of plug and play components can be assembled.

And by using a stereo output to an external battery case, (using the second circuit for the 9v or 18v power) fully active systems can be made without inserting an eyesore battery case into the body of a hand crafted guitar. Has anybody tried this before?

RodRy and markwrob like this.
  9. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    RodRy, Max Bogosity and markwrob like this.
  10. markwrob

markwrob Gold Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Boulder, Colorado
    I like the way you're thinking, BT! :thumbsup:

The only question I had upon reading this is about corrosion at the fittings long term. But there may be treatments for that-a non conductive grease perhaps? Also the system is modular so replacements should be easy to handle.

But I am not a builder.:bookworm:

RodRy likes this.
  11. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    You may be over-complicating this. EMG uses 0.1" pin system compatible with the Arduino pin system. Have a good look at what's available for that, you can get male, female, connectors, you name it. All at cheap prices, easy to assemble (not the case with usb) and very simple. You could use parts of a universal pcb which is also 0.1" grid to connect pots and the likes.
    And... if you let you mind run wild, make an Arduino bass in the process... :jawdrop: :p

12. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I'd go with a Daisy personally -- 48 kHz/ 24 bit CODEC built in.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    RodRy, MirandM and markwrob like this.
  13. Crimped automotive electrical connectors are also cheap and reliable. I used bullet connectors on a project where I wanted to swap out pickups.

14. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    Thank you all for your input. I do a lot of electronics wiring but i usually use 9pin or 15 pin "D" connectors and ferrules into terminal blocks inside of control wiring cabinets. And i wasn't sure where to look for small connectors. USB was simply a choice which i knew i could make work.
    Now i will evaluate the suggestions and make a decision.

While we are at it. Is there a particular brand of potentiometer which you consider to be better quality than others. Switches i can evaluate, but potentiometers really can only be evaluated by satisfaction in use over time.

15. bass theory

bass theory

Oct 7, 2020
    Portage WI
    Ben taking my time, making all new templates, (nice clean tight fits) and sanding with 5 grades of sandpaper all the way down to 450grit. Also learned how to do inlays in bodies and fretboards. Learned how to craft my own necks, including truss rods...
    Bought an entire counter top of 1" hard maple unfinished butcher block to cut up to make necks, fretboards, top-boards, and bodies. and plan on also getting similar ones in oak and cherry.

The results.....
    Man I am loving these guitars and basses.
    the difference is as pronounced between these and the ones I displayed here a month ago as those are from the first try. Now I don't feel guilty pricing them as top of the line instruments because they finally really are.

16. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    CTS is the most well known brand, you may know them from the miniature switches which are also made by C&K.
    I don't use them, I prefer Kaish which makes miniature pots, specifically dual ports either concentric (V/T) or not are great to use, they fit everwhere and I haven't yet had one that failed.
    Here's how they look (post #87 in this thread):
    2020-01-26-13-21-56_s-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  17. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    Since I've had the luck of being there when you started, I really would love to see you do a top of the line industrial design of your first and such unique design. The look of that bass was so unique you could actually use it to build a new line of instruments, completely different, not near what everybody else does. Idea?

18. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    No doubt a Toyota bass :roflmao:

19. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Wait, "unfinished butcher block to cut up to make necks, fretboards"?
    This is the first time I think I've heard of people making necks and fretboards out of butcher blocks.
    Are we talking this kind of butcher block?
    upload_2021-10-1_12-33-27.png

Or (unlikely) this kind?
    upload_2021-10-1_12-34-6.png

Not sure as a buyer I'd pay top dollar for either to be made into necks or fretboards. My max price would probably top out in the $500 range.
    :cautious:

20. MirandM

Oct 29, 2019
    Spain
    A whole new line, CounterBass and ButcherBass, sshhh don't tell J.H. :nailbiting: :speechless:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021