1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Most Important Lesson I Ever Teach - with Scott Devine

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by devine, Jul 26, 2012.

1. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
    Hey guys,

This brand new video tutorial is probably 'THE' most important lesson I ever give to my students...

I'm sure you've felt completely overwelmed by the amount of information you have to learn to become a great bass player... licks, scales, chords, grooves, soloing techniques etc etc... there seems to be SO much to learn and so little time to do it in...

In the past I've definately suffered from this feeling. It felt like I was drowning in a huge sea of information and just couldn't figure out how I could learn everything I needed to.

In this brand new video tutorial I tell you exactly how to stop this happening...

You can check out the lesson... HERE.

Over and out,

Scott.

2. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Cheers for that!

Keeping a sense of proportion is useful. Being too hard or lenient on oneself is a recipe for frustration.

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    I would vote to have this sticked on the General Instruction and Techniques page as a lesson all players should watch about how learning works.

Easily the best bass lesson.....and without a bass to hand.:)

4. spcjdoty

spcjdoty

Dec 31, 2009
    Lansing, Kansas
    +1
    Talk about hitting the nail on the head. This was very motivational and instructional. :hyper:

5. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Phenomenal. Best lesson of the series yet. Thank you for this!

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I never had the problem you are talking about. When I started I didn't know anything music related nor did I know any band. So I had a teacher show me music. So everytime I learned something new I didn't even know what else I don't know.

When I started I didn't even have internet and it never occur to me that a website like Talkbass existed. So I didn't have the problem many young/starting bass player have when they find the website before they have a bass and just come accross all that information in a non-chronological way.

So in all I can,t relate to way you talk about.

7. OlarteNovilla

OlarteNovilla Banned

May 15, 2012
    Etobicoke, Ontario
    ive recently started following you on youtube. keep doing what youre doing. i always watch your stuff. :)

8. Already In Use

Already In Use

Jan 3, 2010
    Thanks! Excellent...

9. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    Scott, this lesson was what I needed to hear. Thanks again for your lessons. You're the teacher I've been looking for so many years. It's a bummer you don't live around here but we have the internet to thank for us being able to learn from you no matter where we are.

10. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
    Ah guys... really pleased you enjoyed the lesson! It's good to know that you're enjoying the info I'm putting out there.

Thanks again!

Scott

11. parmezans

parmezans

Nov 25, 2011
    Motivational and useful. Reminded me I need to stick to that philosophy, me being slightly depressed and lazy. Thank you, very positive.

12. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Some great points there. Thanks for taking the trouble to post that!

13. devine

devine

Aug 22, 2006
    My pleasure guys!

Take it eaz,

Scott.

14. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks that helped to put things back into perspective. Very motivational, just what I needed. Great words of wisdom.

15. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Wonderful advice for pursuing any craft.
    Learn a little bit each day, and learn to find inspiration in each bit you learn.

16. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Subscribed via email. Thanks man.

17. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    great philisophical/ mental lesson Scott! subscribed! Gotta get over to your site more often! i did get the C7 jam down pretty good though LOL.

18. bass_study

bass_study

Apr 17, 2012
    Wow agreed ... There are so much information available and it is difficult to stay on one and practise bit by bit... Thanks for reminding .

19. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

Feb 2, 2003
    Ontario N.Y.
    Everything I've seen of yours thus far has been spot on. Great lessons and advice. It really helps to know that at one point in time Jaco didn't know a major scale. There is hope for the rest of us given time and effort!
    Thanks!!

20. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Thanks, Scott!