1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The official "Show your basses" thread part 19!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Pagorn Suebwong

Pagorn Suebwong

Jan 21, 2017
    What I like on your Basses is the parts of them (there are very nice and look good (smart/strong) or say cool.

fretno likes this.
  2. Pagorn Suebwong

Pagorn Suebwong

Jan 21, 2017
    Nice bass.

3. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I don't have many "known" bassists stories, just TM Stevens and dUg Pinnock... But he's a cool guy. Doubt he'd remember me but it was one of those awkward "what was I thinking?!?!?" moments. Saw King's X at a club in DC on the Ear Candy tour and afterwards we, my pal and I, got close and suddenly I was face to face with them...

All I could think to say to dUg was, "Want to trade shirts?" /facepalm

I was wearing a tie-dyed shirt I'd made myself, real proud of it and traded it for his wife-beater... LOL no regrets.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    BK bassist, fretno and EdBo like this.
  4. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Here's one of my fav's .... A custom built matte black Fodera P bass I scored early last year.

In my opinion, her tone isn't any better than a good American Fender P bass ... I've had / have a few Fodera basses and their magic / allure IMO is all in their necks, there is something so incredibly comfortable about a hand built Fodera neck. Very few necks I have come across compare.

Are they overpriced? Hell yes!!! (again, IMO) ... but they are hand built, they pay their luthiers a decent living wage, provide them health insurance and other benefits and at the top of the list, they pay NYC rent prices for their shop's location ... You'd better believe these factors are a big part of the cost of their instruments.

As an added plus, they hold their resale value fairly well so buying a used one for a good price will almost always be a solid investment.

The light in the image makes the butterfly on the headstock hard to see but trust me, she's there :)

Plus they are great basses for inducing "Bass face" :woot:

37DBB0AA-B79A-4357-BB73-B79A420C0D97.PNG
    image (12).

Nephilymbass, zbigniew, EdBo and 3 others like this.
  5. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Thanks man I appreciate that and I’ll be sure to refer to this later but now I gotta try one \m/

MovinTarget, EdBo and BK bassist like this.
  6. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I know what ya mean, facepalm. The 1st time face to face was with dUg when he peeked out of a curtain stage left, right next to me, before a show in Chicago and all I could say is "I need a dUg hUg"/facepalm. He said hold on a second and a minute later he came out with hUgs for me and my youngest son and talked for a few minutes. Before Youtube stopped their messaging I use to communicate with him there. I've been lucky to get face to face with him a few times since. It may be kinda weird but, having been an obsessed KX fan since the late 80's it's like I've known them all my life. They are all humble nice guys.
    This is a photo of the last time I seen them just 20 minutes away in Dayton, Oh a couple of years ago. I got them to sign one of my slab P bodies, that I call my King'sX tribute Bass.
    KingsX-1. KXERB3. KXTRB1. KXTRB2.

7. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I rock a DP-3X too, what a beast of a pedal ..... Talk about a little bit going a LONG WAY .... Especially for adding "growl" and an almost "sub bass" tone. I run it in line with a B7K and if I'm not careful, you'd think someone in the band is playing an industrial buzzsaw :woot:

IMG_4384.PNG

MovinTarget, EdBo and Das Jugghead like this.
  8. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think the DP-3X pedal probably came about because of the $2,600 price for the Tech 21 Dug Pinnick head!!! I don't see many bass players having the cash to drop $2,600 on a head alone.

The pedal was a GREAT idea and really adds TONS of color to a bass tone.

EdBo and Das Jugghead like this.
  9. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Yep, dUg apologized for the cost of the head, saying he had no idea it would be that much. Once he realized the cost he was on them about putting a pedal out. "Everybody needs to Chunk" !!!
    I got his amazing sig. Bass when it hit the streets also. 6 pounds and 14 ounces of fun.
    dUg DP-3Xb. dUgStrappinext1.

10. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    Oh yeah, the "Chunk" setting is RIDICULOUS ... In an awesome kind of way!

What's the neck dive like on that Schecter like?

EdBo likes this.
  11. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Crap I am SUPER jealous. I have a holy trio... of trios... Rush, King's X, and Les Claypool with whichever 2 guys he's playing with...

Rush and King's X are the only 2 bands I own complete album collections for... that should tell ya something... So freaking criminally underappreciated because they couldn't fit them in a box.

heh, I guess "there's no room inside a box" for them... ;)

BK bassist and EdBo like this.
  12. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I took a drill to mine within days of getting it to install an insert and pin extension.
    My friend Jon Willis has one that weighs more than mine and he addressed his with lightweight tuners.
    dUgStrappinext2.

BK bassist likes this.
  13. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Most musicians know and appreciate them. Lot's of Sheeple out there that are just clueless.

MovinTarget likes this.
  14. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    OK, someone had to do this right about now.

I LOVE this particular live performance .... it shows how insanely tight these guys are together ..... but truth be told, the opening vocal harmonies might be slightly "iffy" at times ;)

MovinTarget, EdBo and PMagers like this.
  15. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Yep, the older they get the harder it is for them. dUg says Jerry has never made a mistake. Good drummers are so hard to find. Drummers has been my biggest frustration in my musical life.

MovinTarget likes this.
  16. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    oh hows the comp in that DP pedal ? Clean ? fat ? warm , punchy , any of these apply :)

EdBo likes this.
  17. BK bassist

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've found that bassists and drummers are like "brothers" in a family ..... It's a constant love / hate thing

EdBo and MovinTarget like this.
  18. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I don't think dUg can hit those notes like he used to... Dude is a lot older than he looks so I give him a pass on that...

I find the KXM project interesting, but it just doesn't grab me like King's X...

EdBo likes this.
  19. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I'm no expert on comps but, for a one Knob comp it's impressive and I'd say all apply. It's huge and punchy. :bassist:

fretno likes this.
  20. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Yep, I've been blessed to have played with a few really good ones and I'm ruined/spoiled !