1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The official "Show your basses" thread part 19!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 2, 2013.

1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    The "Classic" Rics seem to be an acquired taste, more so than a P or a J...

EdBo, JIO and PizzaFiend like this.
  2. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Yep. My high school has a really old fireglo 4001 (they bought it new in the 60's, there's a very interesting story behind it) that was the 'house bass", and you're absolutely right. Compared to a modern Ric which is imo a bit more well rounded, the 4001 was definitely more of a niche instrument.

EdBo, PizzaFiend and MovinTarget like this.
  3. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA Earth
    The first I'd seen a Ric was in a Playboy centerfold in '77. I thought it was the coolest bass I'd ever laid eyes on. That centerfold adorned my high school locker for 4 years, and if you looked very closely, Star Stowe was posing in the background :roflmao:

Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 8.34.14 AM.png

I played one at a local music store, and the action was atrocious. The sales person claimed that's just the way they were. I was very disappointed. Over the decades, I had many other opportunities to play them, and found that set up properly, I like them very much.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    imabuddha, EdBo, Nunovsky and 2 others like this.
  4. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    By setup properly, do you mean sitting between a playmate's legs ;)?

imabuddha, EdBo, Nunovsky and 3 others like this.
  5. PizzaFiend

PizzaFiend

Oct 4, 2019
    USA Earth
    That would be lovely, but let's face it; I'm a bass player so wouldn't know what that's like. :roflmao:

6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    way more so...

EdBo, PizzaFiend and jt62 like this.
  7. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Playboy photo editor - "get me a blue guitar for the shoot - blue to match the shoes - pronto"

Go-for got extra points for also finding a blue guitar cord...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  8. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    So, are you'll telling me that a 4003 is a whole lot different than a 4001. Don't tell me that it's a whole different animal and get me all excited about Ric's all over again. :hyper::bassist::hyper:

PizzaFiend and the harp unstrung like this.
  9. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I wouldn't know. :D

EdBo likes this.
  10. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    With no gigs/rehearsal/recording going on, I decided to finish up a couple frankenjazz’s that had been hanging around in various states of incomplete.

The “Vander Jam Bass” on the left is an arctic white MIM Jazz body with black Hipshot bridge paired with a matching headstock Squier VM Jazz neck with black Hipshot tuners. On the right is an American Standard body mated to a ‘62 Mighty Mite lined fretless neck (bass of doom) with classic Fender tuners. I will likely replace the pickups at some point but these are primarily for kicking around.
    F732E7CB-9925-4C1A-94EC-7B4C1473612F.jpeg

11. Frank Orlando

Frank Orlando

Dec 21, 2002
    Fort Myers
    EdBo likes this.
  12. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Being isolated at the office isn't bad at all because, I get to hang out with my 20 Bitches. Life is Good !
    20200320_224516.jpg
    It's also giving me time to work on finishing up a project I've honestly been procrastinating on.
    I'm refinishing my Squier 50's Classic Vibe P Bass and my Guitar Players Squier 51 strat to match for our ZZTop Tribute Band.
    I stated on them almost 6 months ago. I've got both necks ready. I leveled the frets, re-crowned and polished them. I had both bodies ready for paint but, plan "B" is now in effect.

I have a EMG 35 TW that's been setting here since I put my Kramer "The Duke" Bass back to stock and since the 51 Strat has an EMG 89 w push/pull pot, I may as well put an Active EMG w/ push/pull pot in my P Bass.
    I'm kinda glad this got put on the back-burner for awhile because more ideas have manifested and the project has evolved into something I originally didn't think of. With the control cavities being so small and using push/pull pots, I can put 2 of the 3 battery boxes I've had stashed to good use.

After I open up the single coil rout in my P for a soapbar, I've got to rout both for rear battery boxes. Then both are getting Primer, a few coats of Gold before hosing them down in white Pearl. As I'm waiting between coats I'll be hacking out the Purple Pearl Pickguards for them. I got the Ideas for the colors from a Jazz Bass I seen here or on one of the Fb groups. The white w/ purple pickguard just pops IMO. I hope it translates to these w/ maple necks. Any doubter's out there ???
    I should have photo's of the finished products at the end of my 14 day self imposed 'Get This Project Done" lock-down.
    **Peace**
    20200321_000712.jpg PurpleJazz.jpeg

13. bOOMthePocKet

bOOMthePocKet

Mar 13, 2020
    Just picked this little monster up yesterday..
    20200321_120706_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

monkeyxx, BassmanM, 707GK and 8 others like this.
  14. MovinTarget

MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Nice! I just picked up the 5 string version a month ago...

In case you didn't know, there is a cult-er-group of us that discuss all things Mikro:
    "Official" Mikro Bass Club Part 3

EdBo likes this.
  15. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Here's my latest review!

16. 4snaar

4snaar

Nov 19, 2012
    The Netherlands
    This is my current collection:

360.jpg

Fender jazz 1966, Fender precision 1966 frankenstein (with 58 pickguard) Fender mustang 1967, Tokai jazzsound 1984, Tokai hardpuncher 1984, Tokai hardpuncher fretless 1984

17. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    Although Fender does make some nice basses I would not just buy them for the sake of the name. Playing different makers basses in my opinion anyways gives you more choices for your venues. Not all buildings have the same acoustical sound and neither should your basses that you own. Your collection is nice don't get me wrong here....I would have mixed it up a bit that's all. Ken Smith, Traben, Peavy Cirrus fret-less, Rogue 406P plus an Ibanez 5 string acoustic..

Attached Files:

Aidil, AB Nate, EdBo and 1 other person like this.
  18. AB Nate

AB Nate Supporting Member

May 28, 2016
    although I also like variety, some people don’t want or need it. Sometimes 1 bass is a soulmate

19. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-a66e97cf3e01162077baaeca23fc636c.jpg
    My wife would prefer if I only had the Smith she had made for me. Lol..... wives...what do they know.....
    Forgot about this one coming. An Ibanez BTB745.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  20. LowEndLobster

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Don't tell my girlfriend that... ;P

bassmike2010, monkeyxx, EdBo and 3 others like this.