1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The poor mans modulus q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewphishes, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    despise what everyone says

it is!!

Which is technically a GV

The only difference is the preamp and have having a wood neck and body wood

And location of manufacturing

Put some Pro steels on and it could sound close

drewphishes likes this.
  2. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Even w the two single coil pups instead of the humbuckers?

3. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Play the right notes with any bass and you'll sound like Mike Gordon (and just as much like yourself). And you may need a vacuum cleaner also to sound like him. I'm not a phish fan, I think the only song I've ever even heard is "lengthwise."

Anyway, I say don't worry about it and just play a bass that feels good and play it with other people. You may save and save and try that modulus and hate it. Or you might love it, either way good musicality and technique won't let you down.

4. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The big differences between the Millenium US and G-V US, are neck tilt feature on the G-V and none on the Milli, two radiused VFL's on the G-V against the J/MM setup on the Milli, and the G-V having the regular Cirrus pre and the Milli having the Milli pre (BIG plus). Also, the basses have different bridges (Hipshot on the Milli and ABM on the G-V).

5. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Fishman (the drummer) is the one who uses the vacuum cleaner. its ok tho :)

6. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    My mistake I thought you were talking about the AC active version..

The single coil is a great model to,

Lane poor i
    I was referring to the AC BXP millennium

7. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    I'd love to know who did make them then, as the only names I see floating around online are both Modulus and Moses. Being that they aren't made any longer, I can't see the harm in letting the cat out of the bag.

8. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Bell and Carlson. Not a musical instrument manufacturer. I think they make gun stocks.

NicJimBass likes this.
  9. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Yup. ....in Dodge City, Kansas.
    Hope they don't get a hundred phone calls next week! :woot:
    They were pretty surprised when I called them last year, it's been right around 20 years since they made those necks.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    elgecko likes this.
  10. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Interesting...very unheard of company, by instrument nerds like me, anyway.

11. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    thats because they make guns!

songwriter21 likes this.
  12. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Gun stocks, which is only a piece of a gun.

Very interesting that they would use a company like that. Adds to the whole workingman aesthetic that Peavey has in my mind. Whoever made those neck, they were/ are great!

13. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Hartley Peavey looked at a few rifle makers before he set up his guitar and bass manufacturing processes.
    He was interested in their CNC wood cutting equipment that made gun stocks consistently by the thousands for rifles and shotguns.
    He decided he could use the same equipment to make bodies and necks quickly, precisely and consistently.
    Later, when he decided to do a carbon fiber neck he looked at the gun stock companies again and they were making composite gun stocks.
    I would guess he lost money on the Peavey B-Quad basses with the Modulus necks on them and figured he could do better with the G Basses using a source outside of the instrument manufacturing world.

14. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Hell, even the big graphite bars in the Cirrus necks make these necks stable as hell. Since the last owner tweaked the truss in mine, it hasn't moved from being straight. I suppose that stability is why it's a bitch to get to the trussrod, because you don't have to touch it much? Spectors seem to be the same way.

Peavey even says in the old brochure, "...very large bars of graphite", which run the entire length of the neck (1 to 24). Pretty impressive...even Warwick doesn't do that (they reinforce with steel from 12 to 20).

15. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I agree, impressive for sure.
    Large bars of graphite is goooooood.
    A square graphite rod will flex more than a steel one of the same size.
    Warmoth uses steel ...or for $60 extra, they put in larger graphite rods.
    Looks like the Warmoth is end to end as well.

16. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    welll my peavey GV sale fell thru so still ISO of a poor mans modulus, if anyone has a GV or a cirrus 5 for sale

17. This thread has been a really interesting read. The trivia about the gunsmith making the necks for the Peavey basses is the sort of awesome trivia I love Talkbass for.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021