1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The poor mans modulus q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewphishes, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Yes I have actually owned both! among others!!
    again NO Comparison!
    ditched the peavey kept the Modulus!

Attached Files:

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    That's a nice TBX6 there. Where is the Q5 you are comparing to the GV?

3. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I have not found that to always be true.
    There are lots of expensive things that are junk.
    There are lots of things that can be had very inexpensively that are very good.
    I think your opinion about Peavey is incorrect, but it is only an opinion, so that makes sense.
    I am confident that there are many inexpensive used Peavey basses that are very good and can be bought for very little money.
    It seems that you are trying to compare a Modulus directly to a Peavey and I think the phrase "Poor man's Modulus" would indicate something that a poor man could afford and that it resembled a Modulus.
    I think that is the case with the G Bass and G-V Peavey basses, but that is only an opinion.

4. have owned many mods and currently own a TBX....you can definitely cop a similar tone on other basses. PEAVEY GV, cirrus, certain ibanez bassses, etc

haters gonna hate.

/\/\3phist0 and BassikLee like this.
  5. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    agreed all the way till you said something a poor man can afford that "resembles a modules ? "
    yes maybe so! but not a peavey! Besides the graphite neck in no way shape or form a peavey resembles a modulus! especially in tone!
    good thing we're all entitled to opinions !

6. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    Haters? Relax dude it's just my opinion and experience! I've also owned both!!
    Don't agree ? it's ok ,
    agree to disagree..:)
    With that being said,
    Here's my Modulus TBX 6 ! (93) one of last original TBX,s produced!

Attached Files:

7. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    awww :..(
    now my feelings are hurt! :( lol..
    Yeah I'm aware of the spell check thing but if it doesn't bother me don't worry about it! Just stick to your peavey basses opinions and don't worry about my spelling. Had a stroke a few years back still working on it.
    But thanks for the tip anyway. :)

8. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Not many realize this, but the G and GV's were not all-graphite/carbon. They had a carbon wrap, with some kind of wood core...my guess is mahogany. I installed tuners on a GV once, and noticed a tan wood sandwiched between the carbon, sooooo there ya have it. I made a post of it years ago, and don't remember if there was a pic.

9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

Always so combative. If we concede that you think nothing compares to what you like. Also if we concede that you will argue with each opposing opinion, can the rest of us have a discussion?
    Thank you.

10. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Not trying to hurt your feelings. lol... :(
    It is obvious that you are very capable with a computer, with all the emoji usage :) and the different font sizes that you are able to get on the page, all that's left now is looking for the red prompts and Googling the word until you find it.
    Peavey G Bass and Modulus Flea.
    The first bass seems to have more than a few similarities to the second one, only I bought the first bass for a small fraction of the price of the second bass.
    Graphite neck.
    Single large pickup in the same location.
    Four control knobs.
    Similar bridge.
    Similar tuners.
    Similar body shape.
    Similar paint job.
    Similar four screw bolt on neck attachment.
    Similar rear control cavity cover.
    Similar fret count.

DSCN1774 (1).jpg DSCN1775 (1).jpg DSCN1773 (1).jpg
    Flea4MetallicFlakeGreencollage2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  11. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    lol.. If you think my spelling is bad trust me my computer skills suck even more! Nice Basses!

12. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    Hey it's just my opinion!
    Don't like it ? Sorry.

13. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Seems all the carbon fiber neck makers use a bit different approach from each other.
    Truss rod vs no truss rod.
    All carbon fiber vs carbon fiber and a core of several different kinds.
    Different fretboard material choices too.
    I like the Pau Ferro on the G Bass, nice feeling.

14. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Interesting. That's what Parker do with their basses....I think they use a very soft wood, spruce IIRC, and then wrap it in carbon fibre....

15. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Your computer skills may be better than you think....you are able to quote posts here and manipulate the images to suit your likes and dislikes as well, good for you!

16. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Back to the topic At hand. As far ad prices go what would be a fair price for a gv peavey?

I also hear an ibanez sr 505 can get a tone that's similar as welll. Theres got to be some other options for a poor man trying to sound like mike gordon lok

17. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Millenium 5 any good? BxP?

18. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Not many realize THIS, but modulus necks aren't solid either. If they were, they'd weigh a ton. They are hollow, kinda like the Peavey necks, but without the wood. Think of it like this: a modulus neck, cut in half, would kinda look like this: D with the fingerboard being the flat part.

19. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    So whats the consensus hear. A oeavey gv is going to be best as far as the graphite neck. Also a cirrus or a millennium will get me started and in the ballpark?

20. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Phoenix
    PM'd

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021