1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The poor mans modulus q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewphishes, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Bottom one is a GV.

2. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    My custom '06 Cirrus just slams, stacks up to any boutique bass I've ever tried, and I've tried just about them all. The neck straightness, sustain, tension, action, and growl are unbelievable.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    nyde7, Razman and BBQisgood like this.
  3. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Retry

Attached Files:

mech, BBQisgood and smogg like this.
  4. Jones64

Jones64 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Boulder CO
    Longtime Mod guy. IMHO I found the Cirrus basses to feel good with great craftsmanship, but not enough low end booty for my taste even with equaling them. The density of the note wasn't there for me if that makes anisettes. I wanted to love them, but think they are just really good basses.

andysick likes this.
  5. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    yeah rite!!! just cuz they both share graphite necks doesn't make them compatible in no way/shape/or form! HELL NO!!

songwriter21 likes this.
  6. 130-3066_IMG.jpg

Picked mine up around that time, too. Great basses. Only wish they had expanded to other electronics for different tones. Quality holds up to most of my handmade stuff, just lacked certain options back then. I'd kill for an unlined fretless 6.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

yes you are wrong :/

8. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Peavey G all the way.

G Gould is reasonably priced but not for a poor man.

9. nyde7

nyde7

Jun 27, 2005
    You have not tried a Peavey Cirrus (not the BXP model the US model). Many pros use these till they get their customs.
    Here is a GV at Reverb: Peavey GV G5 USA 5 String Graphite Modulus Neck (not mine just googled it)

10. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Yea the gv ended a while ago. Also the price is ridiculous id rather get a real q5 forthat

11. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    I believe Modulus made the necks for the Peavey basses. I found the Peavey graphite necked basses to be a little one dimensional compared to a Modulus. Status basses are nice. Modulus basses can still be had through Planet Bass.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  12. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    No ibanez or yamaha 5 strings that do the job?

13. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Modulus did not make the necks for the Peavey GV; just the Brian Bromberg model. I know someone who used to work there in production.

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You're probably not going to find a Quantum for that kind of money.

Since they lack graphite necks, probably not. Again, the graphite neck is THE defining characteristic of the Quantum. 35" scale would probably be the second.

drewphishes likes this.
  15. If you don't mind the headless stigma, a Steinberger q5 is close sound wise. They have a graphite "blend" neck, and emg pups that are configured as 'p' pickups. Find one that has a HAZ preamp. They are going up in value since ned passed, but you may get lucky and find a good deal on one. I've owned both, and still have the Steinberger, and I'd have to think long and hard about letting it go.

16. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL

Have you OWNED both? I have. The Peavey GV is a great bass, period.

17. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :rolleyes:

Okay...tell us then. What is the poor man's Modulus?

18. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Sorry, but I have problems taking anyone seriously that uses "rite" and "cuz" in their posts. However, the USA Peaveys hold their own with many much *more* expensive brands, including Modulus.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Brother Goose likes this.
  19. An early peavey cirrus (where it says peavey in block letters) is as close as you get to the real deal but it's not the same. Owned an early and a late USA cirrus (the one with script instead of block letters) and the early was much better made. Played a buddies 90's q5 and it was insanely better. It wasn't that the early peavey was bad or even the late peavey but the modulus was just a damm champ.

20. Also, I've played the foreign stuff, you can go ahead and replace the word stuff with a four letter word of your choice. They legitimately kill a lot of American stuff but nowhere near the quality of the early cirrus'.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021