1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The poor mans modulus q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewphishes, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Man, you are indecisive. Heh.

2. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    When did Ned pass?? Isn't he still alive?

3. Mdrummey

Mdrummey

Oct 18, 2015
    Nashville, TN
    Based on your username I'm guessing you're looking for a Mike Gordon type sound?

Not sure if there is a poor man's Q5. That Q5 TBX is a huge part of Mike's tone. The clarity, low end, and sustain are all a result of the construction of that bass. Obviously his technique would also play a role in this sound.

Occasionally my Bossa OBJ-5 can get in the same realm as a Gordo tone but the B string just isn't anywhere near as nice. The Bossa would be in a lower budget maybe under 12/1300. They are not readily available on the classifieds/reverb if you're looking for one now.

I've been a phish fan/Gordon fan for a very long time. I've looked all over for a poor mans Q5 and I just don't think there is a substitute.

4. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    Just wanted to say that Ned is very much alive.

5. JSandbloom

JSandbloom Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Redding, Ca
    Grace Guitars USA
    I have an old 92 Q5 that I take out when I feel like reliving my early 20's. I don't see why you can get any 5 string with humbuckers to get you in the same tonal spectrum. Especially in a mix I'd be hard to tell any different sound wise. Feel and build is another story.

6. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    it can!

what are you looking for tonality wise?

if your wanting something clarity

look into just changing your string to something like pro steels

I have a yamaha 765 that I just put nordstrands into and it can super bright and clear to Thumping monster !

7. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
  8. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Modulus did not make the the necks for the Peavey G Bass four string or the Peavey G-V five string basses.
    Peavey told me directly who made the necks and then I spoke to the company that made the necks and confirmed.
    Not Modulus and not Moses, not a company who is in the musical products manufacturing business.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    nuhckes8, Peter Weil and PeaveyPlayer like this.
  9. gsquare

gsquare Pedal Breeders' BIGBoardClub#104;CabronitaClub#8 Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Phoenix
    Peavey basses are incredible, and sometimes not so incredible. Very dependent on when and where they are made. Working at the Bass Place in the 90s and early 2000s when graphite basses were the rage we carried Modulus, Zon, Status, Peavey, Moses replacement necks and even had a few Music Man Cutlass basses come in used with factory graphite necks.

Previous posts are right on. The Peavey G basses were really great instruments and they come up used every so often for quite the bargain. Cirrus basses, at least the earlier ones, were not graphite but they felt similar to the Modulus, 35" scale, and were pretty wonderful but aren't always as much of a bargain, even used.

The Modulus M92 and Sweetspot series were cheaper and occasionally show up on the used market at decent discounts, especially the M92, the pickguard is considered by many a major downgrade in appearance.

I've owned 6 Modulus basses over the years and my Q5 is still my number one of the over a hundred basses I've owned. They are truly wonderful instruments, but there are other options on the market, for sure

10. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    How do you contact the old employees?

11. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    The regular Cirrus preamp is decent, but too polite or "kind", imo. The Millenium pre makes all of the difference with the mid-sweep knob. It seems like you can't entirely dial out the mids on the regular pre, versus the Milli, which can let you dial out the mids for a killer slap tone, or crank them (along with the big choice of frequencies from the sweep) for some serious growl. The sweep offers you the ability to get some very gnarly upper-mids...where it roars.

12. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    (360) 273-7744
    This is Jerry Dorsch's number, who was the man beside Geoff Gould, when Modulus started. He still makes composite basses, (his company is called Graphite Guitar Systems) but I've heard for not much longer. He has no adveritising of any kind (website, FB, etc), but is very approachable on the phone. His prices are insanely good (probably because he's a ghost builder), and is also extremely busy. I've heard he also helps out Mike Lull and other notable builders. Give him a call, he's very old-school.

13. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    This tallies with what I know. It was a gun stock company.

14. I own GVs and quantums... And flea

Yea they're all similar in quality

The sound can be changed with strings and preamp

A GV has a slightly different neck profile... The preamp would need to be changed to be more aggressive

Sound and feel? For a cheap and pretty way is a USA Millenium 5 with stainless strings and a proper setup. Blind folded you'd never hear the difference... It takes some time to set up the neck... But will have almost the same feel as a quantum or flea when ready

15. if you watch the ads and have cash ready... Periodically European graphite so come up for sale

Schack... Clover... Bogart...etc All great basses with low resale value in the us

16. Oops. I mixed him up with Kubicki. Sorry.

17. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

How many men are going to own this one bass?

18. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    Take me serious or not peaveyd "MITE" hold their own against some brands in the same level of quality but not modulus!! & yes I've owned both top of the modulus and top of the Peavey ! Kept the modulus ditched the peavey..
    again, just CUZ they both share graphite necks doesn't mean their at the same level of basses!
    NO COMPARISON!! Sorry but it Takes more then just a graphite neck to make a Modulus! and yes my spelling sucks Everyone knows it even me.. :)
    so Sorry all Peavey lovers that's just my experience & opinion.

Attached Files:

19. madbass6

madbass6 Inactive

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    No such thing as a poor man's modulus! You get what you pay for!
    if their was it defenetly wouldn't be a peavey!!

20. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    You know that computers have spell check on all of them, right?
    This forum even checks your spelling.
    Great way for an adult, who was bad at spelling and punctuation in school, to learn.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021