Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The royal scam!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Check out this used Warwick. It looks like they took a Warwick neck and put it on a Rockbass body or it's one of the first Streamer Stadards. Either way, it's not from the "early '90's. Or am I wrong?.

http://www.gbase.com/gearlist/guitar_picture.asp?guitar=583560

Here's the ad:

1990''s Warwick Streamer 5, $850
    1990''s Warwick Streamer 5 , 5 String, Bolt On Neck, MEC Pu''s, Wide Neck With Low Action And Great Tone., Very Good Condition, Color: Mahogany, Item

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thats definitely a rockbass bridge.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Until you can really see the body of the bass, it's hard to tell. The old streamers did not have the 2 piece bridge like the other German Warwicks did. The Streamer Standard (not the LX, Jazzman, Etc.) always has had a one piece bridge, like the one you describe. The Streamer Standard was meant to be Warwick's entry level bass prior to the Rockbass, so it makes sense that you don't see all the appointments that are common in other Warwicks like straplocks, etc. It's only the last few years that Streamers became Spector copies and the higher end of the line. If the body is made of Carolena then it's probably legit. If it's made of ash, alder or whatever then it's probably a Rockbass.

BTW, you cannot buy Warwick necks. If you need a replacement, you will need to send in the old one. The new one will have the serial number from the old neck stamped on it. Also a Warwick neck is pretty expensive (~$350). It wouldn't make sense to buy a Warwick neck to slap on a Rockbass body. You'd be spending more than you'd make. Well maybe if you have a functioning neck from a otherwise damaged German Warwick to slap on a Rockbass... It's all speculation.

Other than the price, it's probably on the up and up.

4. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Or maybe the Rockbasses are using the same bridge as the streamer standard.

On further inspection, I think the bass is on the up and up. The Rockbass has a football jack, whereas the streamer has the plain 1/4" jack.

See for yourself:
    Streamer Rockbass
    [​IMG]

Streamer Standard
    [​IMG]

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I remember the Streamer Standards. I just don't remember them being around in the "early '90's".

6. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Memory isn't working as well as it used to. So here's something that will clarify

From Harmony Central:

August 10, 1999 -- At the 1999 Summer NAMM Show in Nashville, TN, Warwick announced their newest bass series - The Streamer Standard. This bass is their new entry-level instrument, to be sold at a retail price range of $949 to $1,199. These basses are made in the same factory that all of the other Warwick basses are made, and the Streamer Standards feature the SAME neck, fingerboard, frets, adjustable nut and tuning machines that all of the other bolt-on basses have. The main difference found with the Streamer Standard is that the body is made out of Carolena Hardwood, which is a fairly light tone wood that has excellent bass response. The Streamer Standard also features a one-piece bridge that is solid and adjustable.

The Streamer Standard feature passive MEC Soapbar pickups. Some models have one pickup with a coil tap, while others have two pickups. The Streamer Standards are available in red, honey, black, green, blue, violet, and natural satin finishes.

So it's not an early 90s, but it's not a Rockbass either. If the seller can cough up a serial number, you'll know for sure.

7. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    The guy's ad doesn't say early 90's.. It just says 90's.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Dang. Nickthebassist works fast.

9. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Looks like a rockbass alright!!!!
    But, look at the rockbass, its jack is angled, with two screws on either end. That would require some special covering up...
    They might brush it off as wear and tear though

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Good catch. My bad. :bassist:

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Word up on Warwick necks being next to impossible to get. I once bought a used Streamer LX 5 in LA at the Hollywood GC. When I got it back to Virginia (I know I know, I should have checked) the truss rod nut is stripped to hell.

I called up the USA Warwick folks and they informed me that a new neck would be $450. Needless to say, I brought it back to the GC in Fairfax. Luckily, they took it back.

Being tightfisted with necks didn't start with Warwick. Until Moses came along, if you had a Stingray 5 body and no neck, you were F#@$*d.

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    That's definitely a German made Streamer STD. The input jack gives it away as well as the non shiny surface. Looks similar to the one i had a couple years back, cool basses.

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I don't get it...

14. i had one of those basses.. it's not a rockbass.. the body is Carolena if i remember correctly. I had the double pickup version just like that but i had a maroon-colored one. pretty solid, but very BASIC tone..

15. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Yeah. Whatever you read in magazines notwithstanding, those carolena-bodied standards don't seem to have gone over hugely with the bass playing public. Not much magic happening in the tone department.

16. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Nick has been talking about putting a Warwick neck on his Rockbass Streamer body for awhile.