1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Soundgear Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THE DANiMAL, Oct 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think so. I just got the GB720 today, and realized that there is no finish or plating on the buttons. It feels a bit more matte and rough than the GB350 button (but my GB350 tuner is Cosmo). I'm guessing all black plastic buttons are raw, and Gotoh just adds plating for Cosmo, Chrome, and Gold buttons.

Weight with bushing, washer, and screw:
    GB720 is ~48g, and GB350 is ~40g. Not bad!

As a side note, I replaced the Cosmo GB350 tuners on my Keith Elfin for black GB720s, since the rest of the hardware is black (it was driving my OCD senses nuts). The Cosmos will go on my SR5006, which has Cosmo bridge saddles as well. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. Jignant

Jignant

Jan 11, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA.
    Do I qualify??? Just got this a week ago...SR870-ALG.
    R8aEREf.
    HdOyoqA.
    Still getting used to the active setup and overall spec after playing a P Bass for the last several years. Faster, louder and lighter.

3. Here's my new old stock 2010 SRT900DX-NTF. Actually I bought it in March but only now could I post. Made in Indonesia. EMG 40DC pups. Jatoba-Bubinga 5pcs neck. Neck-thru. Ovangkol body. Lovely open grain finish. Clear powerful and articulate tone. Such insane sustain... I love it a lot.

FB_IMG_1535127723859. FB_IMG_1535127740798. FB_IMG_1535127738134. FB_IMG_1535127734291. FB_IMG_1535127731492. FB_IMG_1535127728498. FB_IMG_1535127720107.

dannnnn, Papazita, pbass74 and 2 others like this.
  4. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    438C8AA5-B83F-4CA1-A4AA-EEAC32C5E499.

If this one is an Ibanez SR 500 B BAT, please tell me that it is still available. Is it a standard finish or is it a Guitar Center Exclusive?

On the SR 500 PBBBF that I had, it was only a Guitar Center exclusive model. The reason why I thought the PBBBF stood for Poplar Burl Brown Burst Finish was because that how Guitar Center had the bass tagged. But, now I’m glad I know the actual name.

What does the B BAT stand for? I’m assuming blue is one of the B’s. That bass is absolutely sick though. I’m now going to have to get 2 more modern SR 500’s. My wife is going to kill me!

Spidey2112 and Jignant like this.
  5. blue arctic. the first b is for black hardware i think. im not sure which vendor it is an exclusive for but im thinking it is an exclusive.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  6. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    The SRT900 is a great one! I got mine (also N.O.S.) a year ago and it's now my main bass.

generalduncan likes this.
  7. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    Does anyone own an Ibby with the individual bridges per string and another with a multistring bridge? Is there actually a difference you can feel or hear?

8. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've owned a number of BTB's and there isn't really that much of a difference, if at all - unless you're playing a lot of open strings.

9. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    Ta, one of those questions that I've wondered for a long time. Also not something you can make decisions (or rather hypothesise) about in a music shop I'd imagine, as you'd need to play them for a while to get a decent feel for it.

10. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hey guys, so here is my newly acquired SR5006e. These GB350 tuners really help with near-perfect balance when I'm sitting. I previously owned one of these basses for a very short period of time, but we didn't get along since it was too heavy and couldn't achieve my tonal preference. This one, however, seems lighter, and, thanks to a Pope preamp, sounds much closer to what I like. I'm also loving the slick neck, playability, and inherent punch and growl the wenge provides. My plans with this bass are to work on my Latin jazz and chordal chops; up until now, I've just been playing rock and worship at church.

20180827_182131. 20180827_182216.

Storius-GVA, exidor, Basehead and 5 others like this.
  11. Awesome bass. Wondering how different it sounds with the Pope electronics. I got the 4 string version of this and I guess yours is also from around 2009 like mine. I also noticed the top wenge looks lighter in color than the backside, also like mine. Is it the lighting or my eyes? And anyone has an idea why it is so? There are other pictures of this model with much darker, almost blackish wenge front sides.

12. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yup, mine is a 2009, and it ain't the lighting! :) The top is indeed lighter, and so is the treble side of the neck (of the three wenge pieces making the atlas neck). It's a bit wierd, yet endearing. I have no idea why Ibanez didn't regulate the shades of wenge better, but I must admit that the grain is spectacular. I've seen wenge sapwood that is almost blonde in color, but I doubt this has anythign to do with that.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  13. It IS spectacular. When I bought mine it was new old stock and was on display in a window cabinet. Although it did not receive direct sunlight, I was concerned it may have faded the wenge over time. Now seeing yours I'm relieved (or both instruments have faded front sides)... I have yet to see a faded wenge to confirm though.

Ricky Caboverde likes this.
  14. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Wow, yours IS very similar to mine in color! I wonder if they're from the same batch. As is yours, mine is from 2009, and is production number 12329 (made sometime in March).

15. My production number is 09141. Perhaps the wenge batch they used in that year was of the brownish type. Recent models are way darker. Bitter chocolate dark. Maybe other owners will comment on theirs situation. BTW, how much did you pay for it if I may ask?

16. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Nice! Yours was made just a month before mine. After doing some quick research online, it seems that, notwithstanding sapwood, color variations in wenge are often due to exposure to light (more exposure = darker, contrary to what you had feared). So our tops were probably from a freshly cut batch. The gold hardware really suits the lighter top on yours. I dig it :thumbsup:

Though I mostly buy my gear on TB, I bought this one on Reverb last month: SR5006 Buying online, especially outside of TB, can often be a bit of a gamble; but sometimes you run into some great people. This seller was incredibly nice, and sent along several goodies with the bass that I had not expected. Sweet bass from a great guy, or vice-versa :bassist:

17. Very lucky of you. Especially good price for a modded Prestige. Enjoy your exotic bass!

18. i was comparing stock gotoh tuners on my soundgears and found some interesting differences
    AA85EFD4-3107-4E76-96EF-2EA25A9D7ECB.
    gold - 1987 SR1000
    61E42472-A27E-4047-9DE1-60CFE4666B2E.
    black - 1993 SR800
    8B891F7E-8655-4406-89C2-FADA3032E5E9.
    cosmo - 1993 SR1300
    7038C88E-B44A-4F35-B21F-72FFD8753624.

on the gold and cosmo the threads are on the inside of the bushings. the cosmo bushing is shorter than the gold bushing because the tuner routing on the 1300's headstock isnt the same diameter all the way through. the larger diameter of the black tuner shaft doesnt fit the 1300's headstock.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  19. My new sr5005 had loose tuners.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  20. Ricky Caboverde

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    These look a lot like Wilkinson tuners. Do they say "Gotoh" or "Japan" anywhere on them?