1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Soundgear Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THE DANiMAL, Oct 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. What don't you like about rounds? The feel, the sound, or both?

Because pressure wounds feel like flats, but sound more like rounds (but still more mellow).

If you want more articulation, as you said, then that can be hard to get with traditional flats.

2. I figuratively put on Cobalt flats last weekend, meaning that I did it in my mind!

timplog likes this.
  3. I disagree. Perhaps “focused” is a better term for my goal. I feel rounds just sound like all highs, with muddled lows, and no mids. For that reason, I much prefer the pronounced mids and lows on flats, with muted, but present, treble. I‘ve heard that Chromes are bright for flats, and they are my go to. Perhaps that is why. The feel doesn’t bother me, but I simply can’t stand the tone anymore. I’ve tried experimenting with rounds a few times since I’ve watched to flats, and they simply do nothing for me any more. My note was noticeably improved wi5 5e preamp, so pickups have been a possibility as well. But I’d probably upgrade my SR506 preamp first and do some digging on pickups.

picnic01 likes this.
  4. Mine was literal - though they only lasted half an hour. Just can’t do them any more!

timplog likes this.
  5. Gotcha

Maybe try some custom wound pickups. Someone could make you something specific to what you're seeking

Aero pickups come to mind. He'll custom make anything you could imagine

6. The issue is that I know almost NOTHING about pickups, so I wouldn’t even know what to ask for.

7. I have a SRMS806. Shes lovely
    Third from the left on my profile pic

picnic01 likes this.
  8. Photos would be prudent.

Only because you can't figuratively do it.
    That was the joke :smug:

9. I played one of those last week (the dangers of working walking distance from guitar center). The multi scale was pretty minor, it didn't phase me at all. Sounded great

Nice MTD Kingston heir also, I played one of those for awhile as my main bass. I would still have it if the string spacing wasn't so wide

ComicBass likes this.
  10. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Well after playing bass a couple weeks, I changed the strings and put TI's flats on it. I thought the cobalts sounded good, but the TI's just brought this to life. I love this bass it plays flawless.

jdh3000 likes this.
  11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    Anyone else have one of the new soundgear basses on preorder? I’m bummed over having to wait a few more months..

12. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Here's my SR1405 GWH. Haven't had a lot of time to mess with it. Need to fine tune the neck a little bit to get it right where I want it. Enjoying the tone and aesthetics thus far though.

fRLODwTTL_hG_BlXggCD_Hwlc21X5fK9kVAP-892IQXkdMz4-CRrFnQarcTGOTItFlJjyDKEV2MAAyk4hKk=w703-h937-no.jpg

13. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Aaaaand I'm going to return the soundgear. There were some flaws that weren't listed in the reverb ad that I had addressed, but I just found this fretboard crack. Unacceptable for an item listed in "brand new" condition.
    jJ0MW1G0WZIVY7Yg1rdJhQ_ZIUvoQdEStvnMKzOA7MK5vJHVn1udS5PV7r2XECVIAcnuZYS0g6crodch18=w1184-h888-no.jpg

exidor and Zooberwerx like this.
  14. Now that's a defect I wouldn't accept for a full price. Although you could live with that, you still should return unless you paid one third the price. Beautiful bass though.

15. RealSolomonLusk

RealSolomonLusk

Sep 11, 2017
    20200306_175942-01-01.jpeg Just got my bass adjusted since I did "some adjustments" that didn't go so well. Plays better than ever.

jdh3000, Basehead and Erik Asma like this.
  16. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Here are my 2. An SR2600 and a 300 or 200, I can't remember, but it's really is a nice bass for the price. I've played a lot of gigs with it and never any issues.
    I like and gig with both of them.
    D204599D-7D77-4540-A0EC-E1F2A1689C89.jpeg 2B4297E9-9AAD-4DC6-87F4-9498AF34B1B0.jpeg

17. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Oh man that's not cool. If it's something fixable or you could deal with, you can usually get a partial refund. I did a claim on a bass that wasn't as described, got the refund I requested. Reverb will back you up, just get pictures.

Standalone and LowEndLobster like this.
  18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, wenge will do that and it gets worse with time due to shrinkage. Can't be glued & clamped with any degree of success. Had a similar problem with a cast-off Czech MTD which crossed 5 frets. I ended up dusting & gluing with thin CGA then leveling with a J blade.

Riis

timplog likes this.
  19. Here's my new used 2013 SR1400E! It was advertised on Reverb in excellent condition, and other than the bass, mid, and treb pots needing a squirt of Deoxit - it's in really great shape, and seems hardly used at all. Virtually no dings/marks, and weighs in at 7lbs 4-5oz. I've never really been into passive w/singlecoils, but this thing sounds fantastic in passive mode!

Now I'm thinking of getting a second one to setup in BEAD.

jhehi0ucwazsgvqldqnx.jpg

20. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hey guys, I have 4 SR basses. I'll post pics tomorrow. Does anyone know if Strat knobs will fit on an SR bass? I have a P bass Ibanez version and it's pretty nice, but I'm switching out the pickup and knobs for cream colored knobs and a cream colored DiMarzio P bass pickup. Help, someone?

Standalone likes this.