1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Soundgear Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THE DANiMAL, Oct 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. always learn something on TB
    thanks both for your help!

btw I'm leaning towards the black.
    in person it kinda makes sense.
    would have to find matching knobs in gold for it to look right to me...

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    anything but gold

timplog likes this.
  3. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    they usually change the 1p number when there’s a part number change, like a new preamp or subtle hardware component.

something changed with the neck when they went to 1p02. that’s the only part number that changed. in the catalogs they started listing necks as atlas 4.

timplog likes this.
  4. nooffswitch

nooffswitch

Dec 27, 2016
    Spokane Wa
    Question- i just got a '09 SR5005 Prestige and the output is 1/2 of the nordstrand 1206 (pictured) and the B string isn't as focused. Do the bart's need to be rewound, replaced or is the lower output not surprising to anyone? ... the 5005 looks and plays perfectly (and i've owned real steinbergers, statuses, spectors and warwicks) but i am hoping to get it to sound like a poorman's Smith... help!!

5. Just in case it was overlooked, have you changed the battery?

6. nooffswitch

nooffswitch

Dec 27, 2016
    Spokane Wa
    yes and strings.

7. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    I got an SR 875 a few months ago and had a similar issue. When I played different basses, the output was less on this one and something just didn't sound right. I finally discovered that my instrument cable had a bad solder joint at one end. Different cable, great sound.

8. Anybody with experience with a 1996 SR405? If I remember correctly, they were a step up (for the time) from the current run of 400 Series basses. Anything I should know or be aware of? Looking for a cheap second 5 string to round out my stable, and this one is listed for $250 including a mid-size Crate practice amp (which I’ll likely sell or something to help with costs of the bass). So, thoughts?

9. It's just the 5 string version of the 400. I personally wouldn't buy a bass that old without playing it first. If you like it is offer 150 for the bass without the amp

My humble opinion only

kleinenenten likes this.
  10. gphil

gphil

Jul 9, 2016
    Sauk Centre, MN
    I have a 1998 SR400. It has been a great bass and it is one that I will never sell.

kleinenenten likes this.
  11. I've got the 4 string version of it: 2009 SR5000E-OL. Yes, the output is lower than other active Ibanezes. Perhaps that's why they switched to 9V from 3V in newer versions. You don't have to press the -15dB button on the amps when this bass is plugged in.

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Vero Beach, FL
    ugghhh...just checked musicians friend where I've had a pre-order in for an SR1105B since I laid eyes on it, and the expected date has shifted from March to May.. sucks...

13. nooffswitch

nooffswitch

Dec 27, 2016
    Spokane Wa
    interesting... i think the bridge pu on the bass string side is not putting out properly... thanks s

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I would keep looking, bass is old and for $250, you can find a better bass like a used SR505. There's one in my area in great shape I've had my eye on for a while, it's going for $275. Try to get a used SR500/5 or above for not much more- the neck and jump in quality imo is worth it.

OldFunBass likes this.
  15. While I agree, I already have and love an SR505 AND SR506! This is intended to be more similar to my SR300DX which I’ve recently become more fond of again - a little chunkier in the lows. Slightly more P-Bass-like, maybe? I’m not worried about weight as long as it’s not a boat. I’ll keep looking for one of these SRs or SRXs in the $200 or lower range.

16. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    The other way to think of it is to change pickups in one of the basses you already have and presumably get on well with...

17. I’ve had similar thoughts as well. I’ll never change my SR300DX as it’s my first bass and has rather high sentimental value. But I have updated my SR505’s preamp and it made a huge difference. Might do the same to my SR506.

As for pickups, what would you recommend? I play mostly metal, but am the oddball who uses flats. I’d like more articulation to improve my clean tone. My initial thought goes to some sort of Bartolini, as I used the NTMB to upgrade the preamp and love it.

18. Maybe try changing strings? Have you tried GHS pressure wounds? Feel like flats but sound more like rounds.

They were on my SR1405e when I got it and I was surprised how good they were.

I still switched to DR hi beams but that's just my preference

19. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    I have Nordstrands, a PJ but the J is a Big Split not the more traditional single coil. I think it sounds a little fatter and has greater depth than the equivalent single coils. If it were me I would replace the Barts with 2 Big Splits as I like the Nordstrand tones and attack (the descriptions on their web page turn me off, but it’s not my style of prose) and there are some very good videos including comparisons between their pickups. They also have a really interesting sidewinder(?) style of pickup which I thought sounded really good recorded.

but there are a heap of great pickup makers...

Maybe put up a thread asking for suggestions - this mob will give you a comprehensive list of alternatives and reasons why (tone attack price etc) in no time flat, I’d reckon.

kleinenenten likes this.
  20. I’m the opposite - no rounds! I literally just swapped to rounds this weekend to try them again. No risk, as I had an old unused set lying around. Hated them. Right back to flats.