The Squier Mini Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 22, 2020.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    M2B2 Club (Mustang, MusicMaster, Bullet, Bronco)

is there a squier club or is it a typo in my sig? the fact that i don't remember tells you how often i hang out there :D time to edit that!

i used to be a jag ss club member, but i sold my jag.

we're all bass players or enthusiasts here, regardless of what basses we own or play :)

andare and DavesnothereCA like this.
  2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    This one here?
    Squier Owners Club
    (And yeah: quick search says you've only posted in it twice. :D
    As for Dave...he's not there.)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  3. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    In reality as well as in screen name ! :laugh:

Though that situation may change.

And there has been activity this year over there, mostly a different bunch of folks, though I recognized one screen name who has participated during the same period in the Fender Mustang Club, where I also hang - some day may buy one, if I can find a fit for the glass slipper. :smug:
    ~

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    HaphAsSard and TK4261 like this.
  4. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    This '77 Mustang is an example of one which could qualify, with its natural finish, wider nut and Maple fretboard :

Fender Mustang Club

:woot: :drool:
    ~

TK4261 likes this.
  5. Big Dumb

Big Dumb

Nov 15, 2021
    Hi, i'm Big Dumb, I have a tiny P, can I be in the club? I made it too late for the 760FS mini p's, but not too late to join the fun.....

6. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Whitehall, PA
    Finally got to replacing the electronics and wiring in the Mini P. While I was at it, it got a set of '63 pickups too. The biggest difference is that it has usable volume. Before it would to stupid loud ridiculously fast with just cracking open the volume knob. My amp was dialed into my other two basses so that I could max the volume on the basses without overboard volume. Now, the Mini P can do the same. Tone variation is more noticeable too.

While waiting for parts, I contacted Fender to ask if that's how they wire Squier P basses now. I'm new to Fender Customer Relations (lol) because I never needed them. Probably never will contact them again because it's changed my attitude about Fender, not for the good. A bit of an eye opener.

DavesnothereCA, RodRy and TK4261 like this.
  7. TK4261

TK4261 Supporting Member

I use this guys video to wire P Bass's up. This seems to be the most accurate and full proof way. His soldering seems kinda sloppy but it works well. There are so many different wiring diagrams online for wiring P's :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    bpmben, pcake, DavesnothereCA and 2 others like this.
  8. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Whitehall, PA
    Soldering and replacing parts was easy compared to conversing with Fender. YMMV.

9. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    The pots in my Mini work very well and I've never had pots that didn't have a usable sweep. Sounds like the soldering was sloppy or you got defective parts. AFAIK Alpha pots are very reliable, as much as CTS.

10. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Picked up one of these recently and did a refin in matte mint green. It's a huge improvement over the stock red. Fun little bass!

IMG_1745.JPG IMG_1746.JPG IMG_1749.JPG

bpmben, pistonrod8, pcake and 7 others like this.
  11. Trevor Driscoll

Trevor Driscoll

Oct 5, 2021
    How can I be a part of the Squier mini club!?

RodRy likes this.
  12. Trevor Driscoll

Trevor Driscoll

Oct 5, 2021
    Here's a pic of my nearly finished mini... need to buff the headstock and move the bridge. Then it's time to string up and play! 20211115_181339.jpg

pcake, RodRy, Volker Kirstein and 3 others like this.
  13. blackspider57

blackspider57

Apr 29, 2021
    friskinator likes this.
  14. Big Dumb

Big Dumb

Nov 15, 2021
    Nice I’ve got a 63 pure vintage sitting on my desk for a warmoth body I’m
    Nice I’ve got a pure vintage 63 on my desk for a warmoth that should be here this decade.

Can you share a few details, pot size? Cap? The 63 paperwork says .1uf …… tone wise how much difference than stock? Also did you use the ground plate from fender? Did it fit? Farther back in this thread somebody said rout was too small….

im temped to through it in…. Because, Ummmm well you know

RodRy likes this.
  15. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Whitehall, PA
    Hey Big Dumb - I often find it difficult describe tones, until I heard the '63s in the Mini P. The words "warm" and "mellow" immediately came to mind. The original pups were fine, I thought, but wanted to try the 63s and glad I did. Really like the fuller sound, nothing scratchy or harsh to my ear.

If regular size pots fit, I think it would be a tight squeeze. I used 250k mini pots and they fit nicely. The cap is an orange drop. It is the 40 something cap - .43 or .47 - that's commonly used. As long as it was an orange drop or greenie, I was good with it.

Wiring is cloth covered, except for the bridge and body cavity grounds. Just kept the OEM wires in place. Best of luck with your project!

pcake and RodRy like this.
  16. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

Paging @pcake...

RodRy likes this.
  17. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    47nF or 0.047uF

18. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Whitehall, PA
    yep, there you go...that's it. :thumbsup:

Big Dumb likes this.
  19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    The two wires coming out of one is a shielded wire, now that's a good thing, that is the ground wire is running like a braided shield all along the insulated hot wire in the middle, helping to eliminate some background electromagnetic interference noise.

Also the fact that the cap is an orange drop might be more important to you than the actual value of the cap, the value though will be what actually matters on it's effect on the tone though, while the fact that it's an orange drop will be as good as completely irrelevant as far as that is concerned.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    DavesnothereCA, RodRy and Big Dumb like this.
  20. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Whitehall, PA
    Actually, I'm not inclined to agree that the cap value changes tone in the P Bass. Please see posts 2989 et seq.

RodRy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021