The Squier Mini Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Big Dumb

Big Dumb

Nov 15, 2021
    Right, this is why I ask, those pure vintage basses come with a .1uf also the paper work with that pickup has that in the schematic…. I just wonder how low that thud will go if I do that…. Especially once the flats come

On a second note, reading through the thread at the beginning there was a lot of talk about chrome’s partially wrapping the post with stock bridges… and labella advising against….was there ever a consensus reached on putting short scale chromes on a stock bass? I saw some added hi-mass bridges to add length on the ball side… where are we at on that?

Eventually hopefully Labella will make another run….until then I’ll have to make due…

Also not to much mention of how the labellas have played in…. Anybody?

DavesnothereCA and RodRy like this.
  2. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    Definitely not shielded wire, just two wires held together by insulation. Flimsy wire too, probably 24awg. The cavity is very well shielded however.

RodRy and Big Dumb like this.
  3. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    I have Chromes on my Mini. The E wraps around the tuner for 1/4 of a turn. No issues. Labellas have a different core shape and might break AFAIK.

RodRy and Big Dumb like this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, the cap only matters as you roll off the tone pot (decrease the resistance), it doesn't really have much effect at all when the tone pot is full on, that much is true, no matter the color or brand of the cap used, other than that you can believe what you will, but the cap value is in fact what will determine the frequency point of the high end roll off as you turn down the tone pot, no matter weather you believe it or not and regardless of color or brand of the cap, nothing else.

An orange drop cap doesn't sound any different whatsoever from a cap with an identical capacitance value, now that is a fact, regardless of weather you are inclined to believe that to be the case or not.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    welcome to the club, #24!

do you have a squier mini precision? if so, you'll be if so, you''ll be #25

Volker Kirstein - #1
    G19Tony - #2
    hangnail - # 3
    pcake - # 4
    MakoMan - #5
    Diver - #6
    Bassylocks - #7
    FinialBassist - #8
    WildWes - #9
    TK4261 - #10
    pistonrod8 - #11
    Bass-jay - #12
    SBassman - #13
    Jackcrow - #14
    PBassPaul - #15
    xboxdude - #16
    andare - #17
    Stephen Davis - #18
    1uca5x - #19
    negativeions24 - #20
    BadMonk - #21
    honeydorick - #22
    Zapple - #23
    Big Dumb - #24
    pending... - #25
    Frank Vozak - #52
    DavesnothereCA - auxiliary member

6. Trevor Driscoll

Trevor Driscoll

Oct 5, 2021
    I do, have posted a few mod pics as of late :)

7. blackspider57

blackspider57

Apr 29, 2021
    I would like to be number 26 if possible? 100% stock and loving it!!
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 8.22.13 PM.png

8. Big Dumb

Big Dumb

Nov 15, 2021
    Well Boys and Girls, I put some short scale chromes on the Mini, no problems wrapping the E tuner part way like you all said. I was going to replace the pick up too.... but now I see no reason, this bass is great. Honestly this price for that feel and sound... lol. I could honestly sell all my nice basses and be happy...

My tuners were loose as some others had experienced... I had to give the truss rod a little twist after the cromes.... lowered the saddles and intonated... just need to get some good strap buttons, these are design to make you drop your bass.

Mind Blown.

9. honeydorick

honeydorick DITTO:WHAT WOULD JAMERSON DO Gold Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Livermore Calif. USA
    Hi TBer's,Random question.I want to mod my mini with a maple neck and fret board.Does any on know if there is a 28.6 in short scale maple neck & fretbord available that will fit .So far out there some where?Or will my 30 in Bronco short scale squire neck fit?Any thoughts.My Bronco is awsome but its still to heavy.The mini P is the perfect weight ,but I would prefer a blond fret board.Any thoughts?

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  10. honeydorick

Nov 1, 2017
    Livermore Calif. USA
    Me too, same senario No Problems

11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Check the measurements of the neck pocket. A Baritone conversion guitar neck might fit from Warmoth might fit. Maybe. Otherwise, no.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  12. pistonrod8

pistonrod8

Apr 5, 2018

13. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

It might fit, but keep in mind that If you change the scale, you'll have to move the bridge. The bridge saddles and nut should be equidistant from the 12th fret.

RodRy, DavesnothereCA and GrahamNN3 like this.
  14. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    IIRC, it seems to me that we spent some time discussing such ideas very early this year, upthread a piece.

We did not cover all of your current questions fully back then, and I do have some updated info to add, but let me summarize that if you wish to Franken-transplant a Bronco neck onto a Mini-P body [one of the scenarios which I too have considered doing], that even if you get the neck pocket to fit [which itself is yet to be confirmed doable], that the scale math suggests that the bridge will need to be moved back far enough that there might not be enough wood near the South edge of the body for the mounting screws to hold it securely, and/or the tail of the bridge may hang over the South end of the body slightly, and/or the bridge may not sit level due to the curved slope of the body closer to the South edge.

Using an alternate bridge might help, if its mounting holes do not need to be as close to the South edge of the body, and/or if its saddles have more travel length to the South than the stock bridge does.

- - -

As for a 28.6-ish scale neck with Maple fretboard, I privately snagged one which I believe to be from a Solo kit, a while after making those earlier posts.

I [still] do not own a Mini-P, but have gathered info from some of you here who do.

Without reviewing my earlier measurements, done with a tape, which had a loose end piece, and/or redoing them with my new digital vernier caliper, let me nonetheless estimate that this Solo neck is wider at the pocket, and will require some machining of it and/or the Mini-P body in order to get the widths to match.

- - -

So, you have a partial answer from me. :)
    ~

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    RodRy, HaphAsSard and Volker Kirstein like this.
  15. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Followup :

That particular 28.5" scale Solo bass neck would run into the same pocket width issue if I wished to put it onto a 30" scale Fender/Squier bass [such as my Squier Jaguar VM SS], but in such a situation, the bridge would need to be moved somewhat to the North, where the mounting would instead remain secure.
    ~

16. honeydorick

Nov 1, 2017
    Livermore Calif. USA
    Thanks so much for the info.Maybe,Fender/Squire will come out with a blonde version of the Mini P.Who knowes.Stranger things have happened.

17. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Yer welcome. :)

While they are at it, offer it with a neck with a 1.625" nut width [and even a Rosewood fretboard], and I'd buy a Mini-P fairly promptly.

I would also one day consider a 30" scale P-ish bass from Fender/Squier, and have been recently been gigging one of another brand, a Jay Turser JTB-40, bought used last year.

It has my preferred wider nut, though Rosewood not Maple fretboard, and weighs exactly 5 pounds 8 ounces.

There are rounds on it, which I plan to switch to LaBella DT flats.

As for neck dive, it is not obvious, but then again, my Ric 4001 has always had some, and I have owned that since new in 1974, so may be accustomed to some by now.

And though I now play while sitting, the light weight is still a bonus.
    ~

honeydorick and RodRy like this.
  18. honeydorick

Nov 1, 2017
    Livermore Calif. USA
    I play while sitting too.I play my Mini P more than my bronco now. Its so light weight & easy to play with my short fat fingers and carple tunnel in my fretting hand LOL.I absolutely love it!Cant wait to finish my mod .Still waiting on black clover tuners from All parts.Im using D'Adderio short scale chrome flatts now.Im gonna try Daderrio Tape wounds when i get my tunners.Happy Turkey Day TBer's

RodRy likes this.
  19. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    I'm with you Dave, wide nuts and rosewood but don't hold your breath on rosewood, it ain't happening. And fewer and fewer players tolerate wide (and curved) fretboards these days. Are hands getting smaller? :)

I just got an MIJ P bass and the 7.25 radius plus fatty oval neck carve are a bliss. I only wish the nut was 44mm instead of 42mm but tbh I rarely play the first few frets.

RodRy and DavesnothereCA like this.
  20. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    I like both Maple and Rosewood, and tend to seek out Maple when I can.

As for hands getting smaller, how about legs getting shorter as we age, because it looks like mass-produced pants [such as jeans] are harder to find with longer inseams when the waist is larger.

And back to nut width....

If I can find 1.625" like a modern P, I am satisfied.

If wider, it's a bonus.

And I DO play the lower frets quite a lot.

After all it's mainly Country music these days. :D

I've never paid much attention to the curvatures of the fretboard and the back of the neck, but maybe I should.
    ~

RodRy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021