1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Sushi Box FX Secret Society

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kranahan, Oct 9, 2020.

1. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    well it's on my radar now! Choo choo!

shaggy45 likes this.
  2. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Supporting Member Commercial User

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Obviously it's up to you, but @kranahan has one for sale that you wouldn't have to wait 2 months for ;)

shaggy45, gh0st42, MT Hope and 4 others like this.
  3. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    That is true! Ha. Nathan, this is no disrespect to the other pedals you have produced, but I think the Deep Dish is your best product. It’s very quiet, functions perfectly and sounds absolutely fantastic. It reminds me exactly of what my LA-1A sounded like. The sale of my DD has nothing to do with the sound or quality. It has to do with my continual GAS that never subsides. I plan to purchase more Sushi pedals and I’m excited for what Nathan’s got in store!

4. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Forgot to post a picture of the front of my Wattson. Sparkly.

E60751D2-E32B-46B9-899B-37B5B53511C4.jpeg

Real Soon, kranahan, PeterH and 6 others like this.
  5. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    Sushi in classifieds. No affiliation.

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    OK, Mr. Box. You're not very good at sales! Or are you?

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    OK. Teach a dummy to pay attention. April build slots from end of November? They are moved up? And April build slots purchased in January, really April? I tried to understand the blast mail but I'm too dumb.
    Somebody help the dunce.

Sushi Box FX likes this.
  8. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Sushi doubled production numbers (40 a month instead of 20), so Jan became the original Jan+Feb orders, and Feb became the original Mar+April orders.
    The 40 new March slots already sold
    The current April slots for sale really are for April. 35 sold, 5 left.

9. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Sales and marketing are not my forte :p but so far most (if not all) of the people I see listing Sushi Box pedals for sale end up buying other pedals from me down the road. I have no problem encouraging people to buy secondhand if it means two people are getting what they want, and while I'm not a businessman by any stretch of the imagination I don't think it negatively affects my sales long term.

10. letsgethandsome

letsgethandsome Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Cincinnati
    omg. If I had a nickel for every pedal I sold that I swore I’d never sell.... or how many pedals I’ve owned 2 or 3 different times. And a lot of them I wish I never sold. But sometimes it’s the only way to get some other piece of gear you really want to check out, etc. or, like @kranahan said, for some of us the gas never ends. Or sometimes you buy a few and only plan on keeping one.

I think seeing pedals in the classifieds helps keep the excitement level up, allows more people to try things, and as sushi pointed out, may actually lead to more sales in the future. It is the way.

11. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    No, the treasure's not the takin', it's the lovin' of the game.

12. And there is a huge personal aspect to this, especially being musicians during these days - I know of people dumping gear they love because they've lost jobs or have other challenges.

13. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    It's true, that's huge right now. Gear is important, but not as important as feeding your family, keeping a roof over your head, keeping the utilities on, etc.

14. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    And that's why everyone needs a Dr.Wattson: those nice and toasty tubes could be used as a replacement cooktop in an emergency

15. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    On the very first Wrecking Ball I ever built I actually measured the temperature of the surface of the pedal after it had been running for 3 hours (for science). I don't remember exactly what it was, but I want to say it was around 120C. The Russians designed those tubes to be robust, they did not design them to be efficient :p

16. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    shoulda put a tiny piece of pork butt on that thing for 3 hrs, that would have been efficient

Bassgeer and Sushi Box FX like this.
  17. kranahan

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Here are my thoughts on the Lab Rat X:

The Lab Rat X is a rat on roids! This thing rips and makes ears bleed!

The gain is splatty until about 2 o’clock and then it really pushes the LM308 chip as you turn the knob. It adds a ton of sustain as well.

The drive volume is what you’d expect. I really like running this cranked into the boost volume. In my opinion, it sounds the best that way.

The tone knob acts as a typical tone knob. It is wide open when fully counter-clockwise and low passed fully clockwise.

The boost volume acts as a master when engaged. This is when the 12AX7 is introduced into the circuit. It can also be used independently from the drive circuit as a clean boost. That’s a great feature.

The LM308 chip is dead quiet. It’s actually incredible! The Si and LED diodes have higher noise floors but offer different tones.

I do think this pedal needs to be run with a clean blend pedal as there is some low end loss. A Bloop, Filter FX Loop or even an LS-2 will do the trick.

In the end, it offers a different perspective on the Rat. It sets itself apart with the fact that it has a tube! It’s not as versatile as the Locust Star or Volt Thrower because of its lack of EQ but it still has some great tonal options with the diode switch and separate drive and boost volumes.

18. Sushi Box FX

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    Thanks for your thoughts :) A quick clarification though, the drive still goes into the tube without the boost on. 12AX7 is a dual triode, so it has two stages; Lab Rat uses one of the stages as an output stage on the drive, and the other stage as a clean boost after the drive, so with the boost and drive both on you're cascading one overdriven tube stage into a clean tube stage.

19. kranahan

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Ahh okay. Thank you for the clarification. That explains why I really like both on at the same time!

20. I've been busy and trying to keep it out of mind, but I realized today I should have a Slampegg X in a week and a half. Getting excited!

Maybe a pic or three from this month's production would help.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021