The Valenti Megathread Part IV

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Oct 8, 2011.

1. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses
    Wow-that's beautiful!

2. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If that's the one we traded for, you've mis-spelled my name;)

-alan

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Wait, your name isn't Chef? :D

4. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Thanks, fellers.

And I should have clarified... this was originally Adam's (who has one of those other Valenti's in progress), Nino built it for him. It came to me via trade through Alan. Too many "A's" involved in this deal for my taste. :cool:

5. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    True-true;)

That bass was killin' sick, just not my flavor, which really hurt.

Aesthetically, I really liked it.
    The trade is still working for me though I used #46 two nights last week.

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Gotta love TB!

I'm curious, what was it that you didn't dig Chef?

7. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Just not my tone.
    Build quality, , aesthetics, feel, everything else was awesome.
    Maybe it was the alder/maple thing; not sure.
    Just not my flavor.

8. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I understand.

I think me and that bass would get along just fine! :)

I've always been partial to alder/rosewood or pau ferro, but here lately maple has taken precedence for me in both look and sound. By myself I always prefer the sound of rosewood but in a band setting maple works very well for me.

My Valenti will be here Wednesday and it's alder/maple! :hyper:

9. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Different strokes!
    The great thing about builders like Valenti, Nord, Sadowsky, Alleva: you can order what you want.

Perfect!

10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Agreed. I respect your opinion in basses in general but especially boutique J's Chef as you have or currently own some of the finest made. :)

So I'm thinking if me and #89 hit it off like I think we will, I will be putting in a custom order myself.

This is what I'm thinking:

Traditional J body alder/maple (flame or quilt) rear routed like this except with a maple board:
    dreamvalenti.gif

But I want it in a finish similar to this:

dreamsadowsky.gif

It will have either Big singles or a Nordy P5 at the neck and a Big Single at the bridge with Black Hipshot hardware.

11. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I'd recommend going with a Big Split instead of a Big Single.
    I've never like mixing humbucking pups with single coil pups...

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks for the input Chef and that makes sense. Do you have experience with the Splits? Do they produce a similar tone? If so, it's a no brainer! :)

13. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I do.
    To my ear, they lose a tiny bit of treble response, and have a tiny bit more mids.
    I don't think this is anything you'd notice in other than a solo'd situation, especially in an active bass...

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks for the input Chef! If I do indeed go with the P/J combo I imagine I'll run a more vintage voiced pre like the Sadowsky 2 band.

15. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I wouldn't really call the Sadowsky 'vintage voiced,' and if that's your goal, you might like the Nord preamp better...IMO, etc.
    With either, if you want vintage flavor, be sure and spec passive tone control.

16. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Is the Sadowsky more vintage sounding compared to the Aguilar OBP3?

17. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I think so yes.
    I personally find the highs on the AG stuff "are pretty high, and pretty modern."
    However, I've not had one with passive tone control, which can be used mitigate that some.

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Gotcha. With the P/J I won't be going for super modern. But a 2 band pre with Active/Passive and VTC should sound great! It'll cover the active sound as well as the passive vintage sound.

19. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The thing about the Sadowsky preamp is that it's boost-only. So, if you are the sort of person who uses the onboard EQ a lot (I'm not), that preamp ends up giving you a very active-sounding "boosted tone" in one way or another. Which isn't to say that it's bad - it's just a pretty live sounding preamp, and IMO an integral part of the Sadowsky tone.

Check out this recording I made a while back. In one channel is my Valenti #51, back when it had Sadwosky HC pickups. It has the Sadwosky preamp. In the other channel is one of my passive Skjold basses. Even though I have the tone controls on the Sadowsky preamp flat, and the VTC rolled back about half way, that sounds like a very active J bass.

I have an Aguilar OBP-3 paired with some Bartolini pickups in my Yamaha TRB. Although the output level is notably less hot than any of my other basses (probably the Barts), the preamp can do some interesting dialed-down stuff.

20. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    That clip was tasty!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021