1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thinking of going Eden.. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DannyNFLD, Aug 22, 2012.

1. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    I have an opportunity to pick up a Eden Traveler 400 Watt Bass amplifier and Eden D210XST 2x10 Bass cabinet for $800.

Never played an Eden, heard the tone is very very warm.

Anyone have any experience with this amp or cab?

Good deal? yay? nay?

2. Is that a new or used price? Go play it, if you like the tone it may very well be worth the money to you.

Personally I got a whole lot more rig for a similar amount of cash.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If you are planning to use this set up to gig with you'll need at least another cabinet. It's a bit on the high side for me.

4. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Some Eden amps are very warm, some are very sparkling clean sounding.

I am not sure which amps fall into which grouping so make sure you play it or you make end up with the opposite from what you want....

5. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    Used price

6. Way over priced IMHO.

7. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    For both? Wow glad I consulted you guys. I'm such a rube.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    No you're not! A rube would have just bought the amp. You asked first, a wise choice. :)

9. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    which model head?

I own several nice bass rigs, and through the years I have owned a ton of great gear. As far as playing out, in a live band situation, I prefer Eden.

I have even owned several different Edens amps and the "Time Traveler" series is my favorite.

If you get to try it out, remember, Eden kills loud guitar amps and has loud drums for dessert. :bassist:

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That seems pretty expensive for a used SS 400w head and a 2x10 cab but I am not that familiar with all of Edens gear.

Go check it out, personally my foray into Eden was super bland and couldn't wait to get rid of the head. I had bought it thinking "famous great Eden tone" and even sold it on those same premise but man did I find that head left a LOT to be desired. Mind you I had the Nemesis NA320 which was more entry level I believe.

I will agree with CL though, you can get more gear for less money, especially used. If the Eden tone is worth the extra money to you I wouldn't think twice about picking it up. It all depends what you want out of your rig. A 400w SS head with a 2x10 cab probably wouldn't keep up with a gui**** and a loud drummer, you'd be fine in a jazz context.

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    The WT400, IMO, is one of the warmer sounding Edens if not the warmest. It's a really nice amp. Good amount of power, lots of EQ options, great DI out. The 210XST gets a LOT of low end for a 210 - much more than the 210XLT and has less of the low mid push that's characteristic of the XLTs. One of the favorite Eden rigs was running a 210XST on the bottom with either a 212XLT or 210XLT on top. The mix of XST/XLT got the best of both "Eden worlds" cab wise.

Not sure if that's a good price - it's been a few years since I was an Eden user. I'm thinking $800 might be a bit high? Others may have a better idea on used Eden prices.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Agree thast 1)it's overpriced 2) that 800 can buy you better on the used market.

13. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
  14. DannyNFLD

DannyNFLD

Aug 20, 2011
    I'm sure it can, the only problem is I live in Newfoundland (small island off the coast of Canada), so the used selection isn't as extensive as you guys are probably used to :( :( :bawl:

15. cthomas5200

cthomas5200 Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
  16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I hear you (I'm in Mtl). That locale will bump up the price BUT, he doesn't have a big market to sell to, either. At 650 it's a good deal and make no mistake, it's a nice small rig. However, if you are playing a loud rock gig the 210 will not be enough. If the 210 is 8 Ohms you'll be able to add another cab for louder occasions. If the 210 is 4 Ohm rthen in order to get louder you'll have to buy a 410.

17. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I'd say $650 is much better.
    Some of the Eden heads will do 2 ohm but the WT400 will only do 4ohm. Just something to consider in the way of cabinet options.

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

As another kijiji hound, if he shoots you down on your $650, wait out the two weeks and when it is inevitably still on there, offer him $600. Do not buy that for $800, because he won't get $400 if he takes it to L&M.

19. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    What's a kijiji hound Diabolus?

20. DiabolusInMusic

I buy and sell a LOT on kijiij, specifically musical gear. I sniff out deals.... ha :D