1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is Why I Can't Have Nice Things

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eJake, Jul 9, 2018.

1. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I have one fancy bass and yesterday it hit the ground hard.

I usually bring out the 200$ SX but i broke a string the other day which hasn't happened in 10 yrs. So I am waiting on a string to come in from BSO and I bring out my American V Jazz (it's fancy to me!) To do my reggae gig. Some back pain issues lead me to put it in my 30$ gig bag so it won't be heavy.

I'm hanging at a club down the street when a buddy calls me up to sit in so I grab my bass by one strap and sling it over my shoulder. The strap comes apart in the middle and it just keeps on going straight onto the concrete floor.

I try not to freak out about things and pulling it out I found a nasty gouge near the bottom strap lock. It definitely could have been worse. I was gonna post a pic but you can't really see it with the natural finish.

My takeaway is that if you're going to spend too much on a bass (that you still mean to play out) you might as well give it some character because you're sure never going to get your money back on it :)

I consider myself lucky that the bass is still playable and will bring the Protec case when I bring the American J5 out in the future, it's not that heavy.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. Pays to have a spare set of strings on-hand at all times.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    And to check your bag straps to see if they're frayed or loose.

4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Perhaps a low buck fix could help? A frayed knot.

5. nissan 200sx?
    if you can't see the damage in pictures, then that's great

DavetheDude and eJake like this.
  6. Forrest Gump had a statement that covered that sort of thing.
    I won't repeat it here, but I can say, with quite a bit of conviction
    that it does happen to me.
    Often.

Wisebass, Element Zero and eJake like this.
  7. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I had a spare set but it's a short scale 5 with a 4+1 headstock and the D string didn't fit.

Good feedback thanks.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  8. I will not use gig bags for that precise reason, my basses are too important to me to have them come flying out or dropped with no protection etc etc etc. All hard shall cases for this guy. But saying that I have done some really stupid stuff with basses, i once dropped my brand new (at the time) Fender Precision down the cellar stairs all the way from the top at my parent's house when I was a kid, it was painful to watch it slide all the way down and land on the cement floor. Don't even ask me how that happened. Me and a couple of friends were driving up a hill once with my fairly new blackface Fender Dual Showman amp in the back when the cab fell over the tailgate and landed upside down in the middle of the street, I could go on and on but I won't. Did I tell you about the time my SVT head fell off the top of a cab right onto a cement sidewalk?:laugh:

Pbassmanca, Ghastly and eJake like this.
  9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Not sure why they aren't more popular here or elsewhere - I'm sure there is a reason though - but I like moulded foam cases: they're more protective than gig bags, still very light and (the shaped ones) nearly as wieldy.
    An example (don't have this one, mine is a no-namer:
    Guitar Research GAF202B10 Poly Foam Electric Bass Case | SamAsh )
    Just a heads-up - won't fix what happened but I thought it might still be of interest to you for the future, given your back issues.

10. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol

OMG

bobyoung53 and eJake like this.
  11. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I will not use cheap gig bags for that precise reason. My first gig bag was a cheap, store-branded number, and the first and only time I carried my bass around in it, it looked like the straps were about to break (though luckily, they held up). The next day I went and got a Mono Vertigo. Haven’t worried since.

wmmj, Gizmot, HolmeBass and 4 others like this.
  12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I just chalk it up to battle scars and mojo. Surely I'm a more legit player with the bumps and scratches on my bass!

Mister Boh, juancaminos and eJake like this.
  13. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Brand new bass! First rehearsal!

frtboard.

Drummer + cymbal = :banghead:!!!! :poop:******!!! :rage: *****!!!! :mad: ****!!!! :crying::crying::crying:

Wise(b)ass

Pbassmanca, Mr.Ace, Raw N Low and 9 others like this.
  14. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    2003 I was showing up for band practice with my new fretless Warwick Corvette. Had a beautiful bubinga body. As soon as I pulled it out of my Cavalier and put it on my shoulder the weight of the bass opened the cheap rock bag zipper and BANG, huge amount of pavement damage.

Sold for a massive loss. You don’t have to do that though, Jazz Bass bodies are plentiful.

15. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor!

Jan 30, 2012
    Central Jersey
    I second the cheap case statement.

Throw them in the trash.

I use a Mono Vertigo and Gator double.

You can watch your bass fall all day without worries.

16. Karlson541

Karlson541

Jun 9, 2018
    Actually I am pretty sure that no amount of padding could save an instrument from absolute obliteration if it were to suffer a fall from such a high altitude that it would take it a whole day to hit the ground.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  17. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Can’t have nice things...

I will gladly swap your American Jazz V for my Squier Parts Jazz V...if it you’d like.
    ;):thumbsup:

18. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah gig bags don't do much to put my mind at ease. I also use cases. I would rather beat on a case than beat on a bass. Luggage stores can replace the latches on a case if necessary. All that being said, battle wounds are cool.

Pbassmanca, bobyoung53 and Wisebass like this.
  19. Yet another cheap gig bag story. People never cease to amaze me.

A friend of mine had a 1959 Martin Acoustic in amazing condition, that was his pride and joy. He'd been offered $10,000.00+ for it on a couple of occasions... Guess what he carried it around in? Probably a $15.00 nylon gigbag. This past winter, he slipped on some ice and landed flat on his back on top of it. It's now a worthless pile of splinters and wire. As an extra bonus, he also had no insurance. I suppose the one plus in this story is that the gigbag survived the ordeal.

20. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    How the hell did you manage to have it dinged THERE? I'd understand if it hit on the treble side.

Also do realize that by liking your post, I do not enjoy your misery, but partake in it.

Pbassmanca, Rock Salad and Wisebass like this.