1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is Why I Can't Have Nice Things

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eJake, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Bass players rule!

Sep 8, 2015
    Louisville
    Endorsed by Fusion ( maker of killer gig bags)
    I use a Fusion bass gig bag. I trust It with my Fodera.

2. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I'll try to remember to take a pic of the scars on my jazz bass, maybe it will make you feel better!

There's a pretty good smash in the clear closer from when the sucker just dropped out the bottom of my gig bag onto the sidewalk, straight down. Plus a million other dings, scratches, scuffs, and one errant soldering iron burn.

eJake likes this.
  3. nbsipics

nbsipics Bass Plasma Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    So, you mean, you play that thing? :)

4. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Quite a bit, yes :)

nbsipics likes this.
  5. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    It's strange how the first scar is heart breaking, but then when you get a lot of 'em it's got mojo, it's got character and it's "road worn".

Wisebass likes this.
  6. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    If I had a bass that I spent a lot of money on and it was pretty and shiny and I wanted to keep it that way I sure as hell wouldn’t use a gig bag, hard case always...

7. JKB1957

JKB1957

Jul 18, 2015
    I don't think Jaco, or Jamerson, or Duck cared much about how their basses looked, they just played. Just play man.

8. Last year or the year before? I had a similar situation but, mine turned out worse I had a double Fender Bag with my Fender P and another bass inside I had just finished a gig and was unloading the car and went to throw it on my back and the strap hook let go
    the basses were diving for the black top and my first thought was to put my foot out to break the fall, I was wearing Converse Allstars It did break the fall, but the strap button landed on my big toe and a few others the big toe was busted open and broke. I knew it was bad when it landed, but way worse when I got the sock off :(

9. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Correct. It would burn up on reentry.

10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I keep a used (and cleaned) set in my gig bag. The last time I broke a string on a gig was 1971, but hey...

11. I know no photo never happened
    upload_2018-7-10_17-21-21.

Imaginary Pony likes this.
  12. I must be lucky. I schlepped a medium heavy jazz bass from outside Toronto to downtown Toronto for over a year in a cheap “Ritter” gig bag without incident.

13. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I’m sorry your bass got dinged. That sucks. You may want to share the manufacture of that mighty fine gig bag that failed to prevent others from a similar fate,

eJake likes this.
  14. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Yikes! Looks like no fun at all!

15. nope two basses landing on your toe makes it explode who knew? I have a large outdoor Italian American Festival event the following week that I played but not much jumping around it gets a great crowd every year
    upload_2018-7-11_8-31-35. shot this one from the stage
    upload_2018-7-11_8-34-51.

16. Reunion Blues bags are well padded and strong. Mine is very well made. I recommend them.

bucephylus likes this.
  17. Imaginary Pony

Imaginary Pony

Aug 29, 2014
    Why do you put your hat in a gig bag?

bassdudepat and MEKer like this.
  18. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    What a bummer. Softy cases are handy but not truly protective when they absolutely, positively ( :) ) need to be, IMO. I've always went for the hard case and on a couple of occasions was dang glad I did.

eJake likes this.
  19. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Because he keeps his cat in that hat.